• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Going to a wider ski

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried to….sometimes I seem to get lost in the threads when I try to get too fancy. I’m usually skiing in the Rockies, but regardless I’m largely an on-pist skier which then results in crud as the day progresses. I would love to enjoy powder but find it challenging on my current skis.
I'd get a stiffer and longer ski, that'll help a ton on crud and in powder (the length in particular). You don't need to go crazy stiff though. I just quickly perused the Ski Mag gear list and (although they didn't review much from the smaller brands) they have some good suggestions. If you want to venture more off piste, it is good to get a ski around 100mm but knowing you'll sacrifice a bit of carving performance so that's a decision you'll need to make. But being in the mountains, we're blessed with amazing off piste terrain that offers a ton of variety when compared to groomers (full disclosure, I'm 100% an off piste skier so incredibly biased haha). It would be different if you were located in the east. Demoing is definitely the way to go, but just off the top of my head, if you want to do more off piste, the Nordica Enforcer 100s are very well received skis (Santa Ana is the women's version). Damp, stiff, but not unforgiving and many intermediates find they get along with them just fine and you won't "outgrow" them as you become a better skier (which is important). I have friends who love the QST Stella 106 but that's probably wider than you want to go. I think the Rossi Rally Bird Ti is decent, strong but not as punishing as the Volkl Secret, although I haven't been on it. I don't think it's quite as stable but it's also easier to ski and if you aren't skiing super fast it's probably fine). The Blizzard Sheeva series are also really good if you don't want to go as aggressive as the Blizzard Black Pearl. Also, of course you can look into unisex skis. There's no reason you need to be limited to women's skis!

The reviews at Blister Gear are incredible so always check to see if they have reviewed a ski you're interested in. They have mostly male but the occasional female reviewer!

Louisianagirl

Certified Ski Diva
I'd get a stiffer and longer ski, that'll help a ton on crud and in powder (the length in particular). You don't need to go crazy stiff though. I just quickly perused the Ski Mag gear list and (although they didn't review much from the smaller brands) they have some good suggestions. If you want to venture more off piste, it is good to get a ski around 100mm but knowing you'll sacrifice a bit of carving performance so that's a decision you'll need to make. But being in the mountains, we're blessed with amazing off piste terrain that offers a ton of variety when compared to groomers (full disclosure, I'm 100% an off piste skier so incredibly biased haha). It would be different if you were located in the east. Demoing is definitely the way to go, but just off the top of my head, if you want to do more off piste, the Nordica Enforcer 100s are very well received skis (Santa Ana is the women's version). Damp, stiff, but not unforgiving and many intermediates find they get along with them just fine and you won't "outgrow" them as you become a better skier (which is important). I have friends who love the QST Stella 106 but that's probably wider than you want to go. I think the Rossi Rally Bird Ti is decent, strong but not as punishing as the Volkl Secret, although I haven't been on it. I don't think it's quite as stable but it's also easier to ski and if you aren't skiing super fast it's probably fine). The Blizzard Sheeva series are also really good if you don't want to go as aggressive as the Blizzard Black Pearl. Also, of course you can look into unisex skis. There's no reason you need to be limited to women's skis!

The reviews at Blister Gear are incredible so always check to see if they have reviewed a ski you're interested in. They have mostly male but the occasional female reviewer!
I’ll be honest, that Santa Ana has caught my attention. Hopefully I can demo it this year. “Damp, stiff and forgiving” sounds perfect. Thank you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly