• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Going to a wider ski

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really like this idea...and I think you're right. I purchased my Armada's (that I'm now trying to sell) without testing them out. I thought I was safe doing so since I bought my K2s used, without testing them. Lesson definitely learned - Now I'm looking at specs a lot more critically and trying to match what I have in my K2s (at least on the tip of the ski width). All of the feedback that I've gotten has definitely lead me to where you just pointed....hold off and do some field research! Thank you!
to sell, check out Powder 7's trade in program.

I second Demo demo demo, what one gal loves others hate.
While having pretty skis is fun, finding the ski that will help you excel is what you are after-
I'm the sticker queen- I sticker up all my skis, helmet, sport tube so no one is stealing them by mistake.

Last year at my home mt demo day Stockli's stole the show- IMO the hype is real- if you have $$ you will ski like a pro they do have ladies models they were too short for me at demo day but I am still lusting after the laser CX (narrow) and the Montero. The surprise ski was the Maven by Atomic- lightweight yet carved like a dream and had speed- I am a speed demon. Since you like K2's suggest you try the mindbender series.
My Renoun 90's are still my go to bomb proof ski- Renoun's technology is really incredible.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been having some thoughts about this business of choosing visually appealing skis, and maybe also thinking about getting skis that match boots and clothing. Sometimes visual appeal counts. Does it count with ski jacket and pants? How about skis and boots? Do you choose your binding color to look good with the ski's topsheet?

I've been indulging in some retail therapy lately, since I'm quarantined in the house with a never-stop case of Covid. I bought two new ski jackets - used and cheap - in a new color for me, turquoise. I want to be seen on the slopes so people won't run into me. My usual jacket color is black, which doesn't call attention to itself well, so this new color is a big change for me. I'm hoping people will see me and not run into me. I bought two jackets the same color, one large in case I am still the size I am right now once ski season starts, and one medium in case I'm smaller by then. The price was right.

I've also indulged in buying a matching duck-down puffy to go under these jackets, since the jackets are shells and in New England I will need extra warmth beyond what they provide. I've spent countless hours on ebay looking for just the right color puffy to go with the jackets, and have discovered that I can search for "duck down" successfully on ebay. Duck down is warm and light and thin, so it won't puff out the shells from beneath. Looking for the right color and style of puffy has been a ton of fun, and it helps me while away the time I'm stuck in the house. I can get lost in ebay's selections. So so many to choose from, and most sellers will significantly below asking price if I make an offer.

My point is that I do want my clothing to look a certain way. Aesthetics count. So now I'm wondering what color ski pants I want to go with those turquoise jackets. I have a lot of different sized black pants, but maybe I want mustard pants, or yellow, to go with that turquoise???? So many pants, so many colors, to choose from, all at below bargain basement prices ....

In the lodge these items of clothing will be seen, and I'll spend some time in the lodge when I ski. So I guess I'm not my only audience. But in the lodge the skis won't be seen, and on the slopes no one will be looking down at my skis as I am skiing.

But wait ... those topsheets do get stared at while riding the lift. Almost everybody stares at each other's skis on the lift, and skis can prompt interesting conversations on the way up. So should who they look be taken into consideration when choosing skis?

I don't think so. Not for me. Marketers use aesthetic appeal to sell skis, so clearly some people do make a purchase with topsheet in mind. But I would never, ever, choose skis or boots with a strong emphasis on how they look. I might choose bindings because of their color once I chose the type of binding I need. But skis and boots are highly functional pieces of gear. It's their function that counts, because it determines my safety and confidence and control and potential for skill building and fun on the snow. How visually interesting they are to the strangers sitting beside me on the lift is too temporary to think about.

Last edited:

teppaz

Angel Diva
However, just because a ski is heavy in the hand, doesn't always mean it'll feel super heavy underfoot.
So true. My Rossignol Experience 86 Ti's are rather heavy (the construction includes metal + they came with a Konect binding system that is no featherweight). Lugging them around isn't fun. Yet they feel incredibly nimble, especially in bumps — I've never enjoyed bumps as much as with those skis. At the same time the carving is fantastic and I was bombing down groomers at Big Sky. So they have that dampness you hear about while retaining a lively spirit.

I won them in a raffle so I hadn't demo'ed them but they turned out to be awesome.

Jilly

Staff member
Over the many years that I've been skiing, I got to say that maybe the jacket/pants/toque matched. Skis and boots, probably never. Bindings - try to make it look good, but with system bindings, no choice. If I bought skis based on topsheet, I probably would not have Rossi ST Ti's. I mean ORANGE!! But I love these skis. Now my SA 88's are prettier for sure. But it doesn't really matter to me.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been having some thoughts about this business of choosing visually appealing skis, and maybe also thinking about getting skis that match boots and clothing. Sometimes visual appeal counts. Does it count with ski jacket and pants? How about skis and boots? Do you choose your binding color to look good with the ski's topsheet?
I think social media is what makes some people (*cough* guilty *cough*) conscious of aesthetics. Gotta look good for the grams! :ski2:

My Rossignol Experience 86 Ti's are rather heavy (the construction includes metal + they came with a Konect binding system that is no featherweight).
Another good point, you can make a light ski more damp by adding a heavier binding. I'm partial to Look Pivots myself.

Last edited:

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I've been indulging in some retail therapy lately, since I'm quarantined in the house with a never-stop case of Covid. I bought two new ski jackets - used and cheap - in a new color for me, turquoise. I want to be seen on the slopes so people won't run into me. My usual jacket color is black, which doesn't call attention to itself well, so this new color is a big change for me. I'm hoping people will see me and not run into me. I bought two jackets the same color, one large in case I am still the size I am right now once ski season starts, and one medium in case I'm smaller by then. The price was right.

I've also indulged in buying a matching duck-down puffy to go under these jackets, since the jackets are shells and in New England I will need extra warmth beyond what they provide. I've spent countless hours on ebay looking for just the right color puffy to go with the jackets, and have discovered that I can search for "duck down" successfully on ebay. Duck down is warm and light and thin, so it won't puff out the shells from beneath. Looking for the right color and style of puffy has been a ton of fun, and it helps me while away the time I'm stuck in the house. I can get lost in ebay's selections. So so many to choose from, and most sellers will significantly below asking price if I make an offer.

My point is that I do want my clothing to look a certain way. Aesthetics count. So now I'm wondering what color ski pants I want to go with those turquoise jackets. I have a lot of different sized black pants, but maybe I want mustard pants, or yellow, to go with that turquoise???? So many pants, so many colors, to choose from, all at below bargain basement prices ....

In the lodge these items of clothing will be seen, and I'll spend some time in the lodge when I ski. So I guess I'm not my only audience. But in the lodge the skis won't be seen, and on the slopes no one will be looking down at my skis as I am skiing.

But wait ... those topsheets do get stared at while riding the lift. Almost everybody stares at each other's skis on the lift, and skis can prompt interesting conversations on the way up. So should who they look be taken into consideration when choosing skis?

I don't think so. Not for me. Marketers use aesthetic appeal to sell skis, so clearly some people do make a purchase with topsheet in mind. But I would never, ever, choose skis or boots with a strong emphasis on how they look. I might choose bindings because of their color once I chose the type of binding I need. But skis and boots are highly functional pieces of gear. It's their function that counts, because it determines my safety and confidence and control and potential for skill building and fun on the snow. How visually interesting they are to the strangers sitting beside me on the lift is too temporary to think about.
For me, aesthetics in a ski (not a boot) is a reason *not* to buy new. Skis are very expensive in New Zealand so for me everything needs to align, graphics included, for a new purchase to be worth it.

brooksnow

Angel Diva
This thread reminds me of a couple seasons when Mr. Brooksnow coordinated from head to skis. It was completely by chance as he accumulated clothing and a helmet on sale, boots that fit well, and skis he liked. He was easy to spot on the hill.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I definitely choose outerwear in colours that I like, for boots I have absolutely no choice, but for skis - wellll, they are expensive, I wouldn't buy a ski solely because of the topsheet but to be honest I would definitely NOT buy a ski because of the topsheet, if that makes sense. Like, if I liked the ski but really hated the topsheet - then meh, there's enough skis out there that I can probably spend my hard-earned money on something similar with a more agreeable topsheet.

However I've definitely tossed up between skis in the past and bought the one with the topsheet that I preferred least, because I decided I preferred the ski performance more - but both topsheets met a sort of minimum standard for me, where they were both good enough, haha.

It just so happens that ski manufacturers really liked blue/teal in the last few years and I am a fan of teal :wink:
For bindings if I have a choice in colour I'll pick something that goes nicely with the ski topsheet, but honestly I rarely have a choice so most of my bindings are black.

Wishing that the new Tyrolia Protector came in white because i like the idea of the binding and i really like white bindings, but... :(

Reactions: AJM

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To be honest I've never really considered the topsheets, I buy ski's purely on the performance (says the gal who's Sheevas bounce around like a ping pong ball on the groomers :bounce:but still give me endless joy), I might perhaps be persuaded to change my outfit to match a topsheet though esp if the existing outfit clashed horribly. A friend of ours handmakes ski's here in NZ (Kingswood Ski's) and you can choose your own topsheet from his selection. And lets not forget the success of Black Crows who's whole brand aesthetic is built around the colours of their topsheets.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To be honest I've never really considered the topsheets, I buy ski's purely on the performance (says the gal who's Sheevas bounce around like a ping pong ball on the groomers :bounce:but still give me endless joy), I might perhaps be persuaded to change my outfit to match a topsheet though esp if the existing outfit clashed horribly. A friend of ours handmakes ski's here in NZ (Kingswood Ski's) and you can choose your own topsheet from his selection. And lets not forget the success of Black Crows who's whole brand aesthetic is built around the colours of their topsheets.
They even make outfits to tone in with their topsheets.

Louisianagirl

Certified Ski Diva
Where do you ski? I'm in the PNW and our everyday skis have around a 100 waist. I don't think I'd go that wide if I lived east!

I agree - go with a longer ski now that you're a stronger skier. You'll have more stability at speed.

The K2s don't suit me, so it seems we have different tastes in skis. So I won't give you any of my favorites. :smile:
My favorite places to ski are in the Rockies. Do you think my current ski in a longer model will give me the added stability that I'm looking for?

mustski

Angel Diva
My favorite places to ski are in the Rockies. Do you think my current ski in a longer model will give me the added stability that I'm looking for?
If you ski ⛷ the Rockies, I would definitely go longer. There is rarely any ice and a mid 80s to low 90s ski will be an excellent choice. I would get new skis because -generally technology improves. Demoing is always a good idea but - when I have been unable to demo - I stick with a make of ski I already like. For me, that’s Volkl; for you. That might be K2. As a reference, I’m 5’2” and 130 lbs. my carvers are 157, my all mountain 163, and my powder skis are 169. My carvers are camber but no tip or tail rocker; my all mountain are camber and slight tip and tail rocker, my powder skis are no camber and massive tip and tail rocker. The more rocker, the smaller the effective edge so the longer you have to go.

Louisianagirl

Certified Ski Diva
If you ski ⛷ the Rockies, I would definitely go longer. There is rarely any ice and a mid 80s to low 90s ski will be an excellent choice. I would get new skis because -generally technology improves. Demoing is always a good idea but - when I have been unable to demo - I stick with a make of ski I already like. For me, that’s Volkl; for you. That might be K2. As a reference, I’m 5’2” and 130 lbs. my carvers are 157, my all mountain 163, and my powder skis are 169. My carvers are camber but no tip or tail rocker; my all mountain are camber and slight tip and tail rocker, my powder skis are no camber and massive tip and tail rocker. The more rocker, the smaller the effective edge so the longer you have to go.
I guess if I lived closer to a mountain where I could easily go any given day I could justify 3 pair of skis….but we always have to travel at least 3.5 hours to ski. I love your response and a reference point and direction, thank you!

mustski

Angel Diva
I guess if I lived closer to a mountain where I could easily go any given day I could justify 3 pair of skis….but we always have to travel at least 3.5 hours to ski. I love your response and a reference point and direction, thank you!
I wasn’t suggesting multiple skis, I was just giving an example of ski length being relative to the construction of the ski. Have fun shopping.

Louisianagirl

Certified Ski Diva
I wasn’t suggesting multiple skis, I was just giving an example of ski length being relative to the construction of the ski. Have fun shopping.
You’re good! I know that wasn’t the suggestion, but it would definitely be nice to have and I did understand your intent. Thank you for taking the time to be so detailed in your response

Jilly

Staff member

I have a 4 1/2 hour drive. But with a place on the mtn, it's a lot easier. Skis stay there.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I somehow manage to have two pairs despite the fact that my nearest actual ski mountain is 5 hours away or a 90 minute flight + 40 minute drive! But we have an indoor slope that is only 30 minutes away without traffic, so that counts right?

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That’s so cool!!!! How close to real skiing outside does that feel?
It's like saying an exercycle is the same as mountain biking, or treadmill is the same as trail running hahaha. It's good for off season skills and drills, and the conditions are consistent, but it's nothing like a real mountain really!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna