• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Goggles for glasses - for little kids

yellowdoor

Diva in Training
Hi! My 4 nearly 5 year old is looking forward to his first proper season (Australia). He wears glasses. What are my options for kids' goggles? He's still getting used to all the gear etc so want to make him as comfortable as possible.
- over glasses goggles for kids - do they exist?
- just wearing glasses (with transitions lenses) - given he'll probably only be out on bluebird days?
- prescription goggles?

Thanks for any ideas!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hello! You may be able to find regular kid goggles that fit over his glasses.

I have a small face and a strong prescription. I have always used frames that are as small as possible for an adult woman. While I normally use daily wear contacts for skiing, there are times when I don't bother. For instance if I'm only going to ski for 2-3 hours at my home hill where a long run takes 5 minutes at most. Takes a little extra time to get the goggles on, but it works fine. Note that I don't mess with my goggles after I leave the base lodge.

On a nice day, nothing wrong with just wearing glasses with transition lenses. My ski buddy never uses goggles, just sunglasses.

I saw that the snow guns were turned on at Perisher recently. I enjoy reading the threads in ski.com.au about the main resorts. Where do you plan to ski?

newboots

Angel Diva
Best wishes for a great season! Here in the Northeast US, we are a bit jealous of your opportunities to ski this time of year as we are already missing it. Glad to have you here!

:welcome:

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
- over glasses goggles for kids - do they exist?
Not specifically, but you can usually find some that will fit over glasses if he has reasonably small frames. Trying on in stores will be key.

- just wearing glasses (with transitions lenses) - given he'll probably only be out on bluebird days?
My worry with this is twofold - one about what might happen to his glasses, and the other about sun/UV exposure. Southern hemisphere ski sun is way worse than northern, and kids' skin is generally more sensitive. Goggles will give protection both from the sun and from impact/loss of his glasses in the event that there's faceplanting into the snow or other people.

- prescription goggles?
Assuming your son has a progressive issue like myopia, most 5 year olds will need a new script and possibly new goggles within a couple of years, if not sooner - this could get expensive quickly, and some prescription inserts have issues with fogging.

- other options
There are some helmets with integrated visors/goggles. I imagine these would sit further off the face and require less constant adjustment (and have less chance of disappearing into the void of the ski gear bag).
https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/S...nge_Kids_SnowboardSki_Helmet_S_Black-(175819)

If your son's visual issues are correctable with contacts, he may be able to wear them reasonably soon with supervision - I started from age 6.

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My youngest wears glasses and has been skiing with them since he was 4. The absolutely make OTG (over the glasses) goggles for kids. I think we've generally gotten Smith goggles as he's pretty hard on them and they are cheap ($30-$40 US per pair).

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My youngest wears glasses and has been skiing with them since he was 4. The absolutely make OTG (over the glasses) goggles for kids. I think we've generally gotten Smith goggles as he's pretty hard on them and they are cheap ($30-$40 US per pair).
Ooh that's good to know! I've just never seen them in stores (my in-person snow store experience is mostly NZ/Australia/UK) so assumed they weren't a specific thing for children.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I was just at the optometrist with my daughter to adjust her glasses. I asked them the same question and the optometrist said they make prescription inserts for goggles that are relatively cheap. Planning to do this next season (I'm a bad mom- last season she just skied without her glasses).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly