• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Glove/Mitten cleaning

Jilly

Staff member
This comes from a male that obviously can't post here. @geargrrl or other?

Anyone know what is the best way to clean the polyamide outer fabric material on a Hestra glove that has leather palms, for example the Heli?

The Hestra online video shows using a high fat content soap to clean the leather but doesn't mention the polyamide outer material on the top of the hand.

The care instructions tag inside the glove actually says to dry clean them.

Anyone ever take them to a dry cleaners?

I would like to see if there are any other methods to clean them before taking them to the dry cleaners.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have no suggestions here. Just thought this was timely as I just finally got some saddle soap to try and clean the leather palms of Hestra gloves. Haven't tried it yet, but plan to get to it soon. Obviously this doesn't help with the fabric portion though..

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Uh.......
The usually rec on gloves is to treat like a sweater. Do not wring or use a washer. Squeeze moisture out in a towel. Dry carefully. If you have a dryer like Peets, I'd stick them on there for the final dry of the interior. YMMV for sure.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have had to clean out two pair of mittens whose insides became unacceptible. One leather pair was lost in the snow for the winter; it survived and I found it when the snow melted. But it was green with mildew inside and had packed dirt and grime on the outside. I scrubbed its outside with Resolve (the foam kind) and a scrub brush to get the grime off and dumped a whole bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide into its inside, then let it soak overnight in the Hy Perox. I washed it in the washing machine after that and it came out like new. I used Sno Seal on the leather to bring it back to softness, and it also waterproofs leather. That stuff is golden.

The other pair just got raunchy from use -- smelled a bit inside. I spritzed its innards with Hydrogen Peroxide in a spray bottle and that solved the problem. Nothing else was needed.

Remember My Big Fat Greek Wedding? The bride's father used Windex on everything. That was really funny in the movie, but after watching it I adopted Windex as my fix-all fluid. Now I've added Hydrogen Peroxide and Resolve to my list of miracle workers.

Soaking things in baking soda pre-dissolved in water works too. Very little wants to grow in salt. My mother used vinegar. I hate the smell, but I've found it sometimes works when nothing else will.

Last edited:

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since my hands tend to sweat if they are warm, my gloves and mittens tend to need washing by the end of the season (if not before). I hand wash any with leather components and throw the rest in the washer. Wash on cold with a small amount of tech detergent and air dry (on a mitten rack or even air dry in the dryer). I've had several pair that I've used for years using this method.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm, my mittens have had nearly 80 ski days with no washing...! Honestly I'd wash them if I thought they'd ever dry. I re-wax the leather outer periodically so they're still in great shape, I expect to get at least another couple of ski seasons out of them. I do worry about the inside of them getting overly gross though!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly