• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Giro Seam vs Scott Vantage

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello, I need a new ski helmet. I have tried both of these on in the past and they fit pretty well, can get both for a similar price. I'm not able to find a shop I can try on again just now to help me pick so has anyone tried or used both and have a preference, or another helmet? I have a big head so just want something that doesn't make my head look massive and preferably with vents.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think you'll go wrong with either one. I've owned both, and for me, the Vantage fits and looks better, though the Giro is fine, too. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Have you ever tried Pret helmets? I have one of those (I think mine is the Lyric, but I'm not sure), and I really like it. It's very lightweight and I like the look. And it doesn't make my head look huge.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hello, I need a new ski helmet. I have tried both of these on in the past and they fit pretty well, can get both for a similar price. I'm not able to find a shop I can try on again just now to help me pick so has anyone tried or used both and have a preference, or another helmet? I have a big head so just want something that doesn't make my head look massive and preferably with vents.
Do you mean the Smith Vantage helmet, the one with a visor? That's what I switched to several years ago because I wanted a visor. Found a white one during a late season sale at a destination resort so had a chance to try it on. Had a Giro of some sort before that. I like the Vantage enough that I've since bought another that wasn't white. The newer version has a better set up for the adjustable vents and the clip for the goggle strap.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you mean the Smith Vantage, I think the ear pads are bulkier on the Smith than the Giro (if not wanting your head to look large is a consideration). I own the Seam and tried the Vantage. I felt like for me, the ear pads on the Smith just seemed puffier and larger and it made it seem like I was wearing a football helmet or something.
But they are both nice helmets, so you really can't go wrong either way assuming they both fit well.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you happen to try both on with your goggles to see how well they fit together?

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I seem to fit the Giro and not the Smith in those models, so I wear the Giro (I think the women's version is the Sheer, but the same as the Seam, I believe). But I prefer the look of the Vantage, and wished the darned thing thing would fit my head shape. Although, for what it's worth, neither of them are especially flattering to my big (longer/deeper rather than wider) head. If I can find a Pret to try, I will do, as I'm pretty much due for a replacement by now.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think you'll go wrong with either one. I've owned both, and for me, the Vantage fits and looks better, though the Giro is fine, too. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Have you ever tried Pret helmets? I have one of those (I think mine is the Lyric, but I'm not sure), and I really like it. It's very lightweight and I like the look. And it doesn't make my head look huge.

I haven't seen Pret although they look nice. I'm in the UK so not sure if they are available here?

Do you mean the Smith Vantage helmet, the one with a visor? That's what I switched to several years ago because I wanted a visor. Found a white one during a late season sale at a destination resort so had a chance to try it on. Had a Giro of some sort before that. I like the Vantage enough that I've since bought another that wasn't white. The newer version has a better set up for the adjustable vents and the clip for the goggle strap.

I did mean Smith, thanks

If you mean the Smith Vantage, I think the ear pads are bulkier on the Smith than the Giro (if not wanting your head to look large is a consideration). I own the Seam and tried the Vantage. I felt like for me, the ear pads on the Smith just seemed puffier and larger and it made it seem like I was wearing a football helmet or something.
But they are both nice helmets, so you really can't go wrong either way assuming they both fit well.

Mmm that might be annoying if the ear pads are really noticeable

Did you happen to try both on with your goggles to see how well they fit together?

I didn't, I know buying blind is a bit risky, might try to find somewhere that has a good return policy and order both.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I lucked out with my first helmet ordered online. Especially since it isn't adjustable. I realize that even more so now that I have been shopping for a new one. Actually I started looking last year when I noticed mine is dated 06-07. Everything I try on is too round for my egg head, and I find the adjustable ones don't adjust as well to shape, just size.

After the season ended I ordered a new Salomon online, assuming the fit would be good since it is the same cm size, but nooooo. Luckily EVO still has one size up in stock, due to be delivered on Wednesday. Moral of the story, if you can't try on in person, return policy is key. (I have until March to return the too small one! I'm just waiting to try on the bigger one first so I can consolidate returns if need be)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Everything I try on is too round for my egg head, and I find the adjustable ones don't adjust as well to shape, just size.
I can't remember what helmet it was, but my ski buddy finally found one that fit his head at Alta last spring. The adjustment of the interior was much more flexible. Seem to remember there were overlapping sections so it could become narrower, not just smaller, if that makes any sense. I'd never seen that before. He'd been trying on helmets for several years after deciding it made sense to use one after we started doing longer midseason trips together. He wore the helmet but always said it hurt. The visor on his first green helmet cracked so it forced him to look that day and he got lucky. Wasn't cheap but the new one is much more comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly