• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting worse season after season

knolan12

Angel Diva
I love all your tips @Mishia55 !! Such a good point about not knowing who's going to "show up" each day and being forgiving of that. Very excited about your suggestion about FatMap. I get anxious going down new trails (I'm an over-researcher about everything in my life haha) so appreciate having some more info!

Mishia55

Diva in Training
I love all your tips @Mishia55 !! Such a good point about not knowing who's going to "show up" each day and being forgiving of that. Very excited about your suggestion about FatMap. I get anxious going down new trails (I'm an over-researcher about everything in my life haha) so appreciate having some more info!
Thanks Knolan12. I too research things to death (YouTube ski trail videos anyone?) - I think you will really like FatMap it really opened up the mountains for me as I am able to get a good idea of what to expect and when - otherwise I used to have to send my husband up first to scope out the run!

BMR

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hahaha I do this too! Looking forward to trying this.
OMG, I totally do that too! I send him first and then try to poke holes in his account, like are you SURE it’s “not too bad”? LOL
I also have no idea ‘who’ is going to show up for me on a particular day, it seems completely random and infuriating :smile:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Edana74, you definitely need to look into better fitting boots! I could write a novel about the 6 pair I have owned over 5 seasons since moving to Utah and skiing for +- 100 days per season. I have ridiculously narrow feet, and "retail" boots do not work for me. I just found that out three weeks ago after being stuck on a fearful intermediate plateau for FIVE SEASONS at 100 days per season! I was so fed up a month ago, I told my husband, who is a level 3 instructor (he's a fantastic skier!) that I was done with skiing! Fast forward to a few phone calls and appointments later, and I am in a junior race boot that I was afraid was way too stiff, that actually fits my foot (with an Intuition custom liner) and my skiing has jumped by leaps and bounds in two weeks. I have never skied with so much confidence, and had so much fun. For reference, a 98mm last boot in my size, a 22.5, is closer to 92mm wide. My feet are 80mm wide. Adding padding to take up space was zapping any performance a boot might offer. Your feet need to be close to the shell, or you'll be fighting your skis every turn.

My current boot is 92mm wide in a 26.5. In a 22.5, it is about 85mm or so, with a tiny heel pocket and ankle. I had to put an Intuition foam liner in it because race liners are paper thin and not comfortable, but the performance is out of this world. My feet still have wiggle room, and in the afternoon, they have more room than in the morning, but because the shell is fit so much closer, I have a million times more control even when the boots "loosen up" throughout the day.

Anyway, I also felt I was digressing, with little bits of improvement here and there (untracked powder, I can ski it now) but for the most part, I struggled on steeper terrain, and in crud. As in, I'd panic on steeps in particular. Meanwhile, I'd watch women with half the level of fitness, half the overall skill set, dawdle down steeps with minimal grace but they sure weren't scared like I was and they sure were having fun! I don't mean to say that to sound rude, it's just I've worked my BUTT off for 5 seasons now and was still struggling on terrain I KNEW I could ski.

I feel like the 3 years I've been skiing with my husband and all his coaching are finally surfacing and I'm able to apply everything I've learned--all thanks to boots that actually fit! Poor fitting boots are a very big hindrance to improving in skiing. Taking up volume in big boots is a big hindrance, too.

Again, I could write a novel about my journey. I was told I was being too sensitive. I was told I needed to just suck it up and ski. I was told I needed more lessons. I was told, "you're skiing fine!" My comment was always, "I feel like I could fit another foot inside my boot." And, "I don't FEEL fine!"

So, get to a fitter (like @mustski recommended above) and make sure to share your thoughts with them. I'm curious as to how wide your feet are at the widest point?

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Agreed on losing the husband during runs, and getting a proper boot fit.

I’m a “slower” skier than both my husband and my racing daughter but I’ve been told my form is more consistent and technically sound — and my husband often says that I’m indeed a better skier than he is, and he just passed his level 2!

trying to just focus on improving myself and let the noise of what everyone else says about my skiing that isn’t actual feedback to help me improve somewhat — letting that simply disappear into thin air and not cloud my mind has only helped me be honest with myself about where I am needing to do additional work to enjoy more skiing — because in the end, it really only matters if I am enjoying it.

Hope you are encouraged.

Best of luck to you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna