• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting those skis back on after a wipe out...

TrixieRuby

Certified Ski Diva
Last week I was skiing at Wachusett, and stopped to help two girls, maybe age 8, who had wiped out and were working to get their skis back on. I stopped as they had their skis pointed downhill, and we know how that works out. It took me quite a long time to help both of them get their skis on--getting snow off the bottom of the boots, out of the bindings, balancing on one foot as they put the other foot into the binding. Stomping into bindings at the base of the hill, and getting back into bindings on an incline in loose sticky snow are different projects. Make sure your kids know how to get their skis back on in all kids of situations.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Before the first time my son went skiing with middle school friends (his second time on skis), I took him to an icy, steep sledding hill and had him practice falling and standing up with skis on and off.

If you know what can go wrong and are equipped to tackle it, it’s just more fun.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Definitely worthwhile to teach kids how to get clumps of snow off the bottom of their boots. Or help a friend with that problem who can't click into their bindings.

The first thing I check on a beginner run is to see if the binding is in the correct position to clink in. Lots of beginners at my home hill.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've stopped for adult learners - often their downhill ski has come off and they've left the uphill ski on.....

Scribble

Angel Diva
I had an asthma attack one day and collapsed while I was working my way down a run. I was very thankful to the man who stood with me and helped me up as I was recovering! I was disoriented and couldn't get to my inhaler quickly, and even though I was able to sit up, my arms were so weak I couldn't lift my arms to pop out of my bindings. I always stop if I don't see someone pop up quickly.

knolan12

Angel Diva
I hate to admit it … but I can’t stand up on flats anymore without raking my ski off. On steeps, I’m good but falls on flats are just embarrassing!
I never learned how to get up :redface: If it's not a slope I can just push myself back up, I have my husband pick me up or I pop off a ski haha I realize this is not great haha

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hate to admit it … but I can’t stand up on flats anymore without raking my ski off. On steeps, I’m good but falls on flats are just embarrassing!
Hand is up here - me too. I've made a vow to actually practise this in the garden before next season.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last week I was skiing at Wachusett, and stopped to help two girls, maybe age 8, who had wiped out and were working to get their skis back on.

Thank you for stopping to help them! When my daughter was about that age we got separated in some trees. As I was trying to find her I heard some really loud, deep voices calling my name. She had been smart enough to ski to the trail- where two 20ish year old snowboarders had seen her yelling mom and asked if they could help her yell. I have always been thankful for their kindness.

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
Yes thank you @TrixieRuby for stopping to help them!
Make sure your kids know how to get their skis back on in all kids of situations.
As a parent who was an intermediate skier myself, I have been on the receiving end of slope side help many times, especially when I started skiing with my kiddos.

While I am now capable of helping my kids get their skis back on, I can not carry a kid on my skis and skiing. We were lucky enough to have met at least 2 snow angles on the slopes to help out when we stuck. One time my then 4 year old had a meltdown and refused to stand up after a fall. A skier stopped (maybe on his 2nd/3rd run down the run and saw us still there negotiating) offered to carry her down to the bottom of the slope. Another time on a bad weather day, a run we skied many times before become icy and slippery and my 5 yo was too scared to ski down. A snowboarder stopped and carried her to the area where she was comfortable to ski.

Maybe because of these snow angels, I have not stopped going to ski even if I was the only adult taking the kids to the mountain. Thank you all!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Very good of you to stop and help! Kids if they learn how to get up are so flexible they usually have no problem getting up but do need to be taught to keep the tips across the slope and should be strong enough to take them of and resetting the heel piece.

I'm another I hate to fall, I also have to take at least 1 ski off. I pulled my thigh muscle one time pulling myself up from a flat. Never will do that again!

I will always stop if someone is down to at least check on them. At Taos last year I saw someone down as I came down Whitefeather, everyone was flying by him. I stopped, he was an older gentleman, and so grateful I stopped, said he didn't know what to do, no one would stop! He was just above the lift on the last hill (before Al's) Poor guy couldn't get untangled to get skis off- was so close to sliding into the bump run and the run isn't very wide there. I had to take my skis off, get below him to get his skis off, I helped him up. He wasn't hurt just very anxious from laying there for what he said was forever. He offered to pay me, buy me dinner, beers or anything I wanted. Pixie dust is free..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly