• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting stickers to stay permanently on skis

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Sokolva

As promised, I laid out everything today. Have not had the time to start, but will probably get to it sometime this week.

View attachment 21006

I am going to trim off the stray plastic edges with my extra sharp fabric scissors and clean the areas I am putting the vinyl stickers with alcohol. I think I will lightly sand with a magic eraser to increase adherence and am using an old plastic Disney pass to smooth out any bubbles as I lay them down. These vinyls are all supposed to be waterproof.

I was going to use E6000, but rethought it cause it's just too goopy. I instead went and bought acrylic nail glue that's thinly spreadable. I will be cutting the vinyls closer to shape and spreading the glue on the edges.

It's not as pretty as your holographic stickers, but it was hard to find what I wanted in the holographic catgory, so I just went with flat white. I picked the feathers turning into birds because my Yumis are light as a feather and can really fly. I went with the inhale and exhale words cause sometimes you just get anxious on a new challenge and you have to calm your mind. I also don't like skiers too close to me and my son has a penchant for doing this, so it's mostly for him. I think he'll get a kick out of it!
LOVE the choice of stickers and the layout!!! The “Get off my tail” with the cat butt, then the inhale and exhale is brilliant. And the feathers disintegrating into birds at the tips!!! Truly beautiful. I actually really love the flat white with the Volkl aesthetics of the white and blue, it works really well and matches the ski. Can’t wait to see how it all turns out!!

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update: I’ve been waiting on my epoxy to fully cure, as it still feels slightly tacky: not severely, but like the surface is a bit sticky. Upon researching this I found out two possible issues, one being that I didn’t mix the epoxies with the exact 1:1 ratio (very possible as I didn’t have a measuring apparatus and did my best to eyeball it) and the other being that my house is too cold for a proper cure (which is supposed to happen in an 80 - 90 degree room!?!? )
Basically my options are to put it in a hot room and see if that completes the chemical reaction, and if that doesn’t work, sand off the very surface of the epoxy and coat it thinly again to get that layer to cure.

Since it’s been quite warm outside where I live, I locked my skis in my car which is about 80 to 90 degrees during the day. Hoping this will work. If not I’m trying the sanding and recoating tactic and will measure out my portions and mix for a long time this time to make sure that’s not the issue. Wish me luck!

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The warm car sounds like a good idea. Hopefully that cures it the rest of the way!

TiffAlt's cattbutt sticker cracks me up. I may have been inspired to decorate once I decide which skis I'm sticking with.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update: I’ve been waiting on my epoxy to fully cure, as it still feels slightly tacky: not severely, but like the surface is a bit sticky. Upon researching this I found out two possible issues, one being that I didn’t mix the epoxies with the exact 1:1 ratio (very possible as I didn’t have a measuring apparatus and did my best to eyeball it) and the other being that my house is too cold for a proper cure (which is supposed to happen in an 80 - 90 degree room!?!? )
Basically my options are to put it in a hot room and see if that completes the chemical reaction, and if that doesn’t work, sand off the very surface of the epoxy and coat it thinly again to get that layer to cure.

Since it’s been quite warm outside where I live, I locked my skis in my car which is about 80 to 90 degrees during the day. Hoping this will work. If not I’m trying the sanding and recoating tactic and will measure out my portions and mix for a long time this time to make sure that’s not the issue. Wish me luck!
Ooo, letting the hot car work for you - I like the creativity!!!

I started worrying about curing too and I ended up getting some waterproof gorilla glue that withstands extreme temperatures.

I'm worried that the flat white looks boring. Wondering if I should add some color. I ordered some shiny gold decals, line and stars, but I'm second guessing it! I'll post a picture when they arrive and I've cut them and arranged on my Yumis.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The warm car sounds like a good idea. Hopefully that cures it the rest of the way!

TiffAlt's cattbutt sticker cracks me up. I may have been inspired to decorate once I decide which skis I'm sticking with.
Thank you! We'd love to see them! Personalizing is so fun!

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think id leave it as it is..id worry it would dull the sticker and you wouldnt like it. Those stickers totally remind me of the 80's. Why are they making me reminisce so much..Will have to find what they remind me of
It reminds of those stickers you could only buy from the little machines that were at places like the roller rink.

@Sokolva they look great!

@TiffAlt can’t wait to see the finished product !

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well since I want to ski on Friday and this glue requires a full 24 hours to cure, I decided tonight was the night! The hardest part was attaching the vinyl decals - they really wanted to continue sticking onto the clear transfer paper. ARG. But I have a hard head, so no worries, it got done!

So here is it, still wet but done! I did end up putting some gold star stickers right by the bindings @Sokolva. You get gold stars for a job well done right? It'll be inspiration!

1680755307533.png

I ended up using Gorilla Max Strength Clear Construction Adhesive applied with a silicone brush.

The claims per the Amazon page:
DRIES CRYSTAL CLEAR
100% WATERPROOF and works under water
Incredibly durable in ALL WEATHER situations
REPOSITIONABLE, GAP FILLING, PAINTABLE, EASY TO DISPENSE

The only thing I can confirm is that it is repositionable - it's malleable for 10 minutes after application, which definitely helped. I cleaned up excess by quickly pressing wax paper on it to flatten out bumps, then used those first aid alcohol wipes to clean up any excess outside. Seemed to work pretty well. Let's hope it delivers on the other claims!

You can see it looks "wet" with the glue freshly applied. I am not sure if it'll stay that glossy, but I'll report back tomorrow when it cures more. Either way, you can't really see it unless you are up close.

Last edited:

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think id leave it as it is..id worry it would dull the sticker and you wouldnt like it. Those stickers totally remind me of the 80's. Why are they making me reminisce so much..Will have to find what they remind me of
They really do look like they are from the 80s! I was an 90s kid so the aesthetics of the 80s were still very much present in culture and every day life, and I agree, especially with the rainbow holographic colors. And that’s true, sanding is likely to dull, so I’ll only do it if the surface still doesn’t cure fully and I need to recoat it.

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well since I want to ski on Friday and this glue requires a full 24 hours to cure, I decided tonight was the night! The hardest part was attaching the vinyl decals - they really wanted to continue sticking onto the clear transfer paper. ARG. But I have a hard head, so no worries, it got done!

So here is it, still wet but done! I did end up putting some gold star stickers right by the bindings @Sokolva. You get gold stars for a job well done right? It'll be inspiration!

View attachment 21039

I ended up using Gorilla Max Strength Clear Construction Adhesive applied with a silicone brush.

DRIES CRYSTAL CLEAR

The only thing I can confirm is that it is repositionable - it's malleable for 10 minutes after application, which definitely helped. I cleaned up excess by quickly pressing wax paper on it to flatten out bumps, then used those first aid alcohol wipes to clean up any excess outside. Seemed to work pretty well. Let's hope it delivers on the other claims!

You can see it looks "wet" with the glue freshly applied. I am not sure if it'll stay that glossy, but I'll report back tomorrow when it cures more. Either way, you can't really see it unless you are up close.
I absolutely love how it turned out! The gold stars add a lot too, and I love the white decals on the deep blue background. It adds a ton to the skis! When they are done, you should post them somewhere and tag Volkl, I bet they’d love to see how you customized your Yumis as well!

That gorilla glue might actually be another option for something I could coat thinly onto the surface to get a full cure if this doesn’t set…hmm. Hoping my hot car fix works but some cold weather came in after only a few days of warmth XD so typical.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I absolutely love how it turned out! The gold stars add a lot too, and I love the white decals on the deep blue background. It adds a ton to the skis! When they are done, you should post them somewhere and tag Volkl, I bet they’d love to see how you customized your Yumis as well!

That gorilla glue might actually be another option for something I could coat thinly onto the surface to get a full cure if this doesn’t set…hmm. Hoping my hot car fix works but some cold weather came in after only a few days of warmth XD so typical.
Aw shucks, thanks! :love:

How is the sure going then? Still tacky? If it is, I'd be very tempted to sand it lightly (and very carefully!) and try the gorilla glue. I just went and checked on how my Yumis are coming along, and while the glue isn't malleable anymore, you can tell it's still hardening. It's solid now and maybe just slightly tacky feeling when I press in I think, but it's been less than 12 hours too. I will check it again tonight.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

View attachment 21039

DRIES CRYSTAL CLEAR

I LOVE!!

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Sokolva and @TiffAlt, how would you rate your chosen application methods (adhesive, top coat, etc.)? Have you had a chance to ski post-decoration yet?

Considering I just bought skis that are actually a rental at one of the places I go, I think some customization is in order.

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Sokolva and @TiffAlt, how would you rate your chosen application methods (adhesive, top coat, etc.)? Have you had a chance to ski post-decoration yet?

Considering I just bought skis that are actually a rental at one of the places I go, I think some customization is in order.
I really like how mine turned out! It finally fully cured in the hot car, which I think the slow curing was due to me not measuring it out perfectly, i eyeballed it and didn’t realize how finicky it could be. I haven’t ridden it yet, but will report on how it holds up and will post pictures when I get a chance!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Well I skied mine hard for a week and while most did beautifully, I think I went too thin and quick on the lettering for "Get off my tail" - several letters ripped. I think I just missed parts of it. It was the last part I did, so I probably was in too much of a rush since it was getting late. Let me get a picture of it.

I'm not sure how much I mind though, since it'll make anyone reading it do a double take and maybe back off it they are that close, LOL. I am also contemplating going over it with white out though and re-sealing. Or white gel nail polish? What do you guys think? @Sokolva @leia1979 ?

Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 12.50.10 PM.png

The rest are all intact, not a scratch or tear, just the lettering!

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@TiffAlt Someone must have been on your tail, obviously!

You could probably fix the letter I by masking it with tape and painting a line of gel polish. I don't think the rest looks too bad and could just be re-coated. It just has that vintage look.

I did a test with gel polish to patch up one of the top sheet gouges in my new (to me) skis. I didn't have the right color, but the polish held up fine. I ordered a better color match and will paint over the damaged spots this week. I did use my UV lamp to cure. If you don't have one, I can test how gel polish cures in the sun--I've never tried doing that.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@TiffAlt Someone must have been on your tail, obviously!

You could probably fix the letter I by masking it with tape and painting a line of gel polish. I don't think the rest looks too bad and could just be re-coated. It just has that vintage look.

I did a test with gel polish to patch up one of the top sheet gouges in my new (to me) skis. I didn't have the right color, but the polish held up fine. I ordered a better color match and will paint over the damaged spots this week. I did use my UV lamp to cure. If you don't have one, I can test how gel polish cures in the sun--I've never tried doing that.
:tongue:

You're right, no UV lamp, but if you don't find that it cures well in the sun, I might just buy a cheap one of amazon. It def would not be hard to fix the lettering! I'll look into it.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@TiffAlt - I just did a test. Applied color, 5 minutes in direct sunlight (outside) to cure, applied topcoat, and another 5 minutes for the top coat to cure, and it's solid. I do recommend applying a gel top coat for durability. Most cure to a tacky finish that you need to wipe off with isopropyl alcohol. Regular 70% or higher rubbing alcohol works fine.

You'll need at least two coats of white to fix the lettering, so cure each layer before applying the next.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@TiffAlt - I just did a test. Applied color, 5 minutes in direct sunlight (outside) to cure, applied topcoat, and another 5 minutes for the top coat to cure, and it's solid. I do recommend applying a gel top coat for durability. Most cure to a tacky finish that you need to wipe off with isopropyl alcohol. Regular 70% or higher rubbing alcohol works fine.

You'll need at least two coats of white to fix the lettering, so cure each layer before applying the next.
Thanks for doing that test and all the detail provided! I'll order some now :love:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna