• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting stickers to stay permanently on skis

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello everyone!

Kind of a weird one here, but I really like customizing my skis with stickers. One tradition I have is to add bird stickers to the backs of my skis, after a childhood pair of skis I had with little eagles on the back of them. I got a pair of nice rainbow thunderbird stickers to put on the backs of my skis, and while the stickers themselves are high quality and should last, skis are a notoriously difficult surface to stick things to, and the water and wear and tear often causes stickers to peel and become damaged quickly.

Untitled.png
I've been researching various solutions to this, and have found a few possible options. I also plan on calling my ski manufacturer, Moment Skis, tomorrow, to see if they have any suggestions based on their experience with the top sheet of their skis, which is some kind of textured nylon that is very durable, but I don't know how well stickers will stick to it. The sticker that Bootdoctors put on hasn't fallen off yet, but I've only ridden it a little over a week, so it has yet to stand the test of time.

Thunderbird From Etsy Seller TheOuterLands

1) There are Polyurethane sealants that people use to waterproof the stickers that they use to customize Tumblers and other drinks for the washing machine. These sealants get lightly painted on and around the sticker to seal the edges and help waterproof it. Anyone have any experience with any of these, and whether it will work on skis like it will a tumbler?

2) I've read on other forums such as Newschoolers and Teton Gravity Research, the recommendation to paint a thin layer of some kind of epoxy over the surface, but there are so many different kinds of epoxies, and I'm not sure which one will work for this application. I would think it would need to be flexible to flex with the ski and not just crack. No one gave specific recommendations, but I've seen several different types recommended by ski techs for ski repair. Anyone have any recommendations or experience with using epoxy on the surface of the ski topsheet? How did it hold up and what brands did you use?

3) I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KD6YW46/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
which is a polyurethane adhesive used by crafters to glue rhinestones and other things to the surface of all sorts of waterproof things such as tumblers and phones, and people give it very good reviews for this application. I was thinking I could use a paintbrush to paint around the outside edge of the sticker to give it an extra waterproofing seal, and possibly paint over its surface for a clear protective coat. Its an option, but I'm going to wait to do anything until I hear suggestions from this forum and from the Moment team and evaluate what I want to do and run some tests.

Let me know if anyone has done something like this before or has experience with various sealants, crafty stuff, and epoxies, I'd love to hear your thoughts! As a final note, I absolutely love these skis and intend to keep them forever until they are worn out, so I'm not worried about resale value and keeping the skis "mint." They are already permanently mounted and these customizations are just for my own happiness, so I'm not worried about doing anything permanent, but I do want to carefully research this so that its a really nice permanent customization and doesn't look crappy.

I'll post pictures and progress reports once I decide a course of action so that others that may want to customize skis in a similar way can learn from my trial and error!

Last edited:

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Most of my skis have a textured top sheet. I've had some luck with putting clear shipping tape over the sticker if it's a good quality sticky sticker. It still gets wet/damaged though after a couple months.

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
Maybe gently buffing out the top sheet to remove the factory finish on it?

Magic eraser sponges are technically very fine micro sander, so those may buff off the finish enough to make the surface more 'porous' and as SarahXC said, use epoxy too.

I'd probably buff out the top sheet and use heat when applying the sticker so the sticker's adhesive gets goopy and really mold into the surface of ski with just a touch of epoxy.

The one variable we can't really test easily is how the adhesive that's on the sticker will behave. Some are thicker and can adhere well to contoured surface while others will only stick onto flat surfaces, or maybe only stick well on paper.

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions, these are extremely useful! Love the idea of micro sanding and dabbing epoxy to the bottom of the sticker, that seems like it would help a lot, as well as utilizing some heat during the application.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
My stickers haven't fallen off in several yrs - no special application technique. I can't get them to stay on my SporTube, though...

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the sticker!! SO cool. I think id break a nail file and just rub it over the top sheet to "rough it up" and then maybe add a little epoxy and mod podge or clear coat on top

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
this has totally inspired me. I just ordered the head power joy and it is by far the most boring looking ski I have ever seen. I might get stickers made of my favorite family photos and create some one of a kind photo montage skis. Then, even tho I am skiing solo, I will always have my fave people on the lift.

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Y
/off-topic

Actually, it's possible to re-mount bindings once or twice assuming the change is enough to drill new holes far away enough from the original holes.

/end off-topic
Yes thank you, I didn't mean that the bindings are unable to be removed, just that the holes are now drilled forever, so I'm equally unconcerned about putting a permanent sticker on them XD. But thanks for the clarification since I didn't use the best choice of words.

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My stickers haven't fallen off in several yrs - no special application technique. I can't get them to stay on my SporTube, though...
That's really awesome, I've never been able to get stickers to last on my skis without protecting them in some way before. In the past I used a vinyl film that protected the entire surface of a smooth ski, but with this ski being textured, I'm looking for other options.

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the sticker!! SO cool. I think id break a nail file and just rub it over the top sheet to "rough it up" and then maybe add a little epoxy and mod podge or clear coat on top
Thank you! And excellent idea with the nail file, that would actually work really well and make it easy to sand just the fine areas under the sticker. I'll definitely do that!

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
this has totally inspired me. I just ordered the head power joy and it is by far the most boring looking ski I have ever seen. I might get stickers made of my favorite family photos and create some one of a kind photo montage skis. Then, even tho I am skiing solo, I will always have my fave people on the lift.
That is awesome! Are your skis smooth surfaced on the topsheet? If so, there is another option for how you could customize them:

I customized my boring Salomon skis (I was told as an advanced skier they would work well for me, so I foolishly bought the last one in stock several sizes too big for me. Long story short, finally realized it was exhausting to ski overly tall skis with my tiny size and I needed to get a ski my size, so I only skied these on two trips, but I had a blast decorating them!)
s-l1600.jpg
Hopefully its not too hard to see, but I decorated the surface with Vinyl car stickers and then covered the entire top with a protective vinyl film that protects ski topsheets. Worked perfectly to protect my skis and the sticker, you can't tell there's a film there at all. People complimented these skis constantly and wanted to know where to buy the custom Salomon art with the moons. Had an absolute blast doing this.
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Please post pictures of your ski customizations when you do them, I'd love to see how you go about it and swap tips! Would be awesome to see more threads of people really making their skis their own, its something I've always loved to do and wish I saw more of.

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
UPDATE: Just got to discuss this with Luke, the owner of Moment skis, and he said he'd never tried to adhere a sticker directly to skis before. He told me that one of their pro athletes uses nail polish to bond the edges of the stickers he puts on his skis and it makes them last longer; this is a suggestion that I've heard before that many people apparently use to help their stickers last, but knowing how nail polish can flake fairly easily, I imagine this is less of a permanent fix and more of a longer lasting seal.

I asked him what Epoxy he uses to fix damage to their top sheets at moment and he recommended this:

West System G/Flex Epoxy, a type of marine epoxy that is flexible and waterproof, and one that I've seen suggested by Ski Techs before for topseet repairs. I ordered some and will be experimenting with how I can apply it.

Current plan based on the suggestions here and this new info:

1) Lightly sand and prepare the small area where the sticker will be applied.

2) Lightly apply the recommended epoxy to the bottom of the sticker, particularly around the edges where edge lift can occur.

3) Use a paint brush to smooth the extra epoxy that leaks out of the edges, blending it with the ski's texturing to hide the seam and protect the edges of the sticker.

4) Lightly paint a film of epoxy over the surface of the sticker itself.

My main concern at this point is whether the epoxy will stick well to the vinyl sticker when painted on: I believe it should but I'll do some research to check.

Wish me luck guys! Will post results and progress of this project as I work.

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm considering also adding a holographic Zia sun symbol in homage of Taos, NM, my closest and new home ski mountain. I haven't decided yet, but I think it could possibly compliment the placement of the thunderbirds well.

1679621209065.png

There is also a sparkly version of the symbol as well. It really communicates the rainbow vibe I was trying to go for on these skis, but I don't know if it would match the thunderbird holographic style as well: what do you think?

1679621342835.png

shadoj

Angel Diva
Yep, first one is a better sticker match. Can put the secondary sparkly ones on your helmet/poles.
I like stickers, and approve of your mission! :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna