• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting Over the Fear of Speed

CoachDeb

Diva in Training
Seems no matter how many times I try, I struggle with the fear of downhill speed. I read another post that talked about using turns as control vs just to slow down. Very beneficial!
I kept saying to myself - turns are for control. Seriously, helped to reduce anxiety. Then, we had a lot of fresh powder yesterday and I took a fall - not b/c of speed on a lot of downhill. I hit some powder while having speed (b/c I was ready to be done) and down I went.
8 day trip. Skied 6 days. Did a blue each of those days. But, felt OUT OF CONTROL and fear takes over. Always open to advice.

Jilly

Staff member
You need speed to get through powder. Powder creates more forces against the body moving forward.

As for turns, the big thing that most people miss, is to complete your turn. At the end of the turn you should be almost facing uphill. Hence the C shape instructors talk about in linked turns. Using the turn shape to control your speed instead of a stop (or Z).

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Fear is going to make it worse. I know because I’ve traveled this road.

What helps me is a lesson for two reasons:
1) instructor can tell me if my skiing is so terrible that I should stay on the greens (hasn’t happened yet)
2) the lesson is a safe way to work on the things that are making me out of control (usually leaning back and using the wrong part of my body to turn)

One of the things that the Divas have been great about reminding me is that fear is a protective reflex and so if you’re feeling it there MAY be a reason, there may not be.

I posted a thread called Overcoming Mindset where you can see some of my struggles. The lesson reallllllly helped.

CoachDeb

Diva in Training
Thank you, ladies. I’ve had 3 lessons over the last 4 years. I’ve never liked the speed downhill. I took a fall Feb 2022 that took me out for the season. I didn’t start skiing until I was almost 60. I’m 63 now so, not being proficient at all and then the fall last year… I felt like I was starting over this current trip.
But, I keep on trying. Had a great lesson on day 2 of this trip. I do a lot of self talk to complete my turns b/c that has been a big problem for me on blue runs. I do plan to take another lesson on our next trip. I’ll look for the thread mentioned.

sashak

Certified Ski Diva
I can totally relate to a fear of speed. One thing that has helped me is trying to ski faster and faster (still in control) on easy green and blue runs, and eventually on any run that I familiar with and feel I can be more risky with, if that makes sense.

Laroken

Certified Ski Diva
I agree with sashak — I took a break from skiing while pregnant/my kids were young, and I really struggled to get back up to speed when I returned to the sport. I was SO scared, which is something I didn’t face when I was younger. I found doing the same run over and over again really helped. There was just a comfort and a predictability there that let me push the bounds in a way I otherwise wasn’t able to make myself do. The other thing I did was really open it up at the end — when I knew the mountain was about to flatten out and there was a natural end-point in sight. This made it psychologically easier to pick up speed, because I knew it could/would only last for so long and I wouldn’t be left flying out of control down an entire mountain.

Christy

Angel Diva
I'm glad to hear you are taking lessons.* So many of us continue to take them no matter our level. (You might have seen threads about different clinics and camps too). I just wanted to mention a couple of things. You don't have to go fast, or like speed. You get to go at your own pace, ski whatever you want, just have fun.

But the thing that is troubling is that you feel out of control the whole time you ski. That doesn't sound like any fun at all. To me that's a bit different than a simple fear of speed but I get where there is overlap. I bet lessons will help you feel in control.

I bet you have or will do certain drills in your lessons. When you don't feel that you are skiing well, doing those drills that you have learned can be a great way to help you remember how to ski well.

*If I'm understanding correctly, you've had 4 lessons since you started skiing? I learned in my 30s and took a LOT of lessons early on. I would expect you'd need more to feel comfortable.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The things that helped my skiing the most was having a week of half day private lessons and also getting boots that fit. 5 days of morning teaching, then the afternoon to practice what I'd learned. I like to have at least one half day lesson for every 3-4 days on snow because it stops bad habits creeping in and allows progress, but I don't always manage that.

Understanding how to complete the turn and keep balanced over your skis lets you ski faster in control. I also worry when I am out of control - I want to know I can stop if anything unexpected happens. But the speed that is out of control for me is higher.

If you don't have your own boots and are learning on rental gear each time that introduces another variable. I strongly recommend anyone who wants to progress beyond green and easiest blue runs doesn't just get their own boots, but properly fitting boots.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was gonna add, I remember feeling fear of speed and an instructor had me do some easy drills, but then had me begin to skate down a mild grade headwall. His point was to show me that I can increase speed on a grade and still be in control. Once I realized I could do that, my confidence soared

Jilly

Staff member
The big thing to remember is that everyone's confidence is at different levels. I have a need for speed. But every so often, I think....ah, this might be too fast. If I crash and burn, this is gonna hurt.

Also crowds don't help. I am constantly scanning the people ahead of me. Are they looking like they are going to turn....yes, no, oh their they go...

Lmk92

Angel Diva
The big thing to remember is that everyone's confidence is at different levels. I have a need for speed. But every so often, I think....ah, this might be too fast. If I crash and burn, this is gonna hurt.

Also crowds don't help. I am constantly scanning the people ahead of me. Are they looking like they are going to turn....yes, no, oh their they go...
I agree - It's definitely the other people on the hill that make going fast scary

Laroken

Certified Ski Diva
Not for me! I would rather feel control than speed. What I like is being outdoors in nature. Having the skis take me downhill is definitely a big bonus! But I don’t go fast. And less fast than I did 15 or 20 years ago. Maybe fear of breakage affects that!
I am 100% with you on this! The only reason I am interested in skiing faster is to keep up with my husband and kids — I don’t want to be left in the dust while they are off having an awesome adventure without me! Otherwise, I am just happy being outdoors in nature and taking in the gorgeous scenery while having some fun at whatever pace.

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lots of great insights and suggestions in this thread. I would add....the more physically fit you are, the more you can trust your body in all circumstances, including speed. It's important to build up the muscles all up and down the legs, hips, and core. Don't skimp on the ski prep exercises! (This is doubly important for us older women.) It pays off in confidence and control.

groomer groover

Certified Ski Diva
@CoachDeb I'm a mantra person, too. Gotta talk to myself. If I heard something in a lesson that I'm working on (most recent is "knees to the hill"), then that's what I tend to repeat. But, if something is feeling off, like I get going faster than feels safe, I'll switch to "you're ok - you got this." That actually seems to help.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I like to count or do 3 or 5 long turns then short ones and try to aim downhill and stay in the fallline for as long as I can before turning but I get scared and turn or stop. I have a drill to do dollar sign shaped turns on the snowmobile tracks. It helps me concentrate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly