• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting Over the Fear of Speed

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
....Had a great lesson on day 2 of this trip. I do a lot of self talk to complete my turns b/c that has been a big problem for me on blue runs. I do plan to take another lesson on our next trip. I’ll look for the thread mentioned.
Completing your turns is THE way to control speed.

Are you on blue slopes in a wedge? If you are, that wedge will make completing turns difficult. As you head across the slope, your downhill ski points uphill - that one's pointing the right way to complete your turn.

But the other ski is not pointing the right way. It's pointing downhill, and if you are afraid and leaning uphill over that ski, you are putting your weight on it (the downhill-pointed ski). It will take over and take you downhill before your turn is completed and you'll gain speed. You just won't be able to complete your turns.

If you are going on blue terrain in a wedge, you need to go back to green terrain and take a lesson there to learn to ski parallel. Then... parallel skis on blues will get you completing your turns with both skis pointing in the right direction. The skis will bring you almost to a stop between each turn. You'll stop gaining speed because you'll no longer be relying on the ineffective wedge to give you a sense of security.

On blue terrain the wedge is the opposite of security. Parallel is safe and secure. Parallel gives you much more control because both skis are working together, not against each other.

Tvan

Angel Diva
All good advice from the more experienced divas!

One really silly thing that helped me get comfortable with speed was playing the old computer game of We Ski on the Wii balance board. I know it sounds silly, but it really helped me acclimate to the feeling of speed in a safe way.

I started skiing at age 45, and was a VERY CAUTIOUS beginner. I took a boatload of lessons over the years, and practiced drills like crazy. Which reminds me, I should do some falling leaf and side slip drills next weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly