• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting fit for the season

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’ve been trying this recently to get my glutes in shape! I’ve never succeeded at being in adequate shape when ski season starts, but I’ve found Pilates helpful, and I love resistance bands.

https://www.self.com/gallery/resistance-band-butt-workout-you-can-do-anywhere
Those are very good exercises. I recognize many from knee PT. But would be unlikely to do the entire routine because it's too much effort doing all of them at the same time. More likely to pick out a few to do when doing a general functional workout.

The statement that was most interesting was:

"It's common for your quads to take over in exercises like squats and lunges, when you really want your butt to be doing the majority of the work—part of the reason is because many people are quad-dominant, meaning that you tend to overuse your quad muscles during workouts that aren't meant to target them. There are a few things that can cause it, but one of the big culprits is tight hips. When your hips are tight, you're more likely to initiate movements like squats from your knees instead of your hips, putting the pressure on your legs instead of your butt."

The hip stretches linked are all quite good. The demonstrations and explanations are very clear. Working on hip flexibility is something I started doing a couple years ago. My left and right hip are very different in terms of flexibility, which is a factor for why my right and left turns on skis are very different.

https://www.self.com/gallery/hip-stretches-your-body-really-needs-slideshow

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After hearing about leg blasters for quite a while, I finally gave them a go a couple of days ago. https://www.backcountry.com/explore/train-eccentric-leg-strength-for-alpine-skiing

I was shocked by how hard they are! The speed is really challenging for me. I didn't get through very many at all and two days later my hamstrings are still unhappy with me :P My goal is to do these 3x/week during the off-season.

I'm liking the look of those banded glute exercises too, and the hip stretches - I know I'm quad dominant, need to change that!

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I can’t keep up with you ladies. Finally, finally, finally after 5 months I’ve graduated from PT for my torn meniscus. My PT doc says my left leg is finally just as strong as my right. I mostly don’t notice the bad knee in daily activities. I continue to have diminished capacity to bear weight beyond a certain degree of flexion, however, and that impacts the kind of exercises I can do without pain. My doc says I can go into a maintenance mode and do the same exercises but without skipping more than two days, or I can continue to do them every day to strengthen the muscles further. I’ve been including other exercises to work the hamstrings and core and I need to up my endurance. I do feel I’m more ready for this season than any other. Whether that’s enough we’ll see.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Anyone who is a yoga expert or maybe an instructor (@Pequenita).. is there any modifications for a class with lots of twisting? The lower right side of my back has been acting up on and off this season. I really tweaked it on the last run of the last day of diva West, but things seemed to settle down again and I had a really great therapeutic massage/stretching session last Thursday that seemed to really help with the lingering soreness I had when bending or twisting. Since I haven’t skied for around 10 days now, it’s gotten a lot better. However, I did a yoga class today that had a lot of twists (most of them seem to..), and I had some zingy pain after a couple of poses in particular. Continued stretching and yoga seemed like a good plan to keep things loose when discussing with the massage therapist I worked with that also has some PT background, but now I’m worried about aggravating it too. I don’t really know what “it” is except assuming a strain or overuse type of thing, but maybe it’s time to check in with a doctor.. Is there a way to keep up the yoga and get something out of it without all of the twisting?

newboots

Angel Diva
If the yoga instructor in your class can't recommend modifications, I'd find a different teacher. Stretching is good; twisting often is not. I am seeing a massage therapist, a PT, and a certified personal trainer who is also a PT assistant. I get exercises designed not to hurt all the places on my body that aren't working right! Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries to find, for example, a quad stretch that doesn't aggravate my knee or my IT band stiffness.

I'd find a PT who specializes in athletic injuries. Don't keep tweaking it! Take it from me, that does not end well.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone who is a yoga expert or maybe an instructor (@Pequenita).. is there any modifications for a class with lots of twisting? The lower right side of my back has been acting up on and off this season. I really tweaked it on the last run of the last day of diva West, but things seemed to settle down again and I had a really great therapeutic massage/stretching session last Thursday that seemed to really help with the lingering soreness I had when bending or twisting. Since I haven’t skied for around 10 days now, it’s gotten a lot better. However, I did a yoga class today that had a lot of twists (most of them seem to..), and I had some zingy pain after a couple of poses in particular. Continued stretching and yoga seemed like a good plan to keep things loose when discussing with the massage therapist I worked with that also has some PT background, but now I’m worried about aggravating it too. I don’t really know what “it” is except assuming a strain or overuse type of thing, but maybe it’s time to check in with a doctor.. Is there a way to keep up the yoga and get something out of it without all of the twisting?

I'm not a Dr. but from from experience.. Having fun bouncing in the bumps can cause muscles/nerves to get jammed.. hope that's all it is and you stretch it back out. I'd say just don't go to the pain part in the twisting motions stop.

Have you ever tried an inversion table? (hang upside down) Inversion tables you slowly tilt back and slowly stretch your body, You don't just 'flip upside down' you slowly stretch, my Fla. chrio introduced me to it, now I have one for my sciatica only thing that really works, feels good too just to stretch and get the blood moving. hope you find relief!!

www.teeterhangups.com is the original inversion table still makes the best.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm not a Dr. but from from experience.. Having fun bouncing in the bumps can cause muscles/nerves to get jammed.. hope that's all it is and you stretch it back out. I'd say just don't go to the pain part in the twisting motions stop.

Have you ever tried an inversion table? (hang upside down) Inversion tables you slowly tilt back and slowly stretch your body, You don't just 'flip upside down' you slowly stretch, my Fla. chrio introduced me to it, now I have one for my sciatica only thing that really works, feels good too just to stretch and get the blood moving. hope you find relief!!

www.teeterhangups.com is the original inversion table still makes the best.

That was the weird part, twisting itself didn't give me a pain indicator, it was the untwisting out of a couple of poses that caused the things to get angry. The tightness seems to stem from my piriformis and then I get a twinge of pain up from there on the right side of my lower back.

Unfortunately it's been an on and off thing all season.. it didn't hurt while skiing (just sore afterwards) until I went West though. This was likely due to the addition of lots of bumps and such, but previous to that my skiing was quite mild in the east since at that point there wasn't all that much beyond groomers to play on. Interesting on the inversion table, I have never been on one, how often do you do that?

If the yoga instructor in your class can't recommend modifications, I'd find a different teacher. Stretching is good; twisting often is not. I am seeing a massage therapist, a PT, and a certified personal trainer who is also a PT assistant. I get exercises designed not to hurt all the places on my body that aren't working right! Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries to find, for example, a quad stretch that doesn't aggravate my knee or my IT band stiffness.

I'd find a PT who specializes in athletic injuries. Don't keep tweaking it! Take it from me, that does not end well.

Yeah, I intend to ask at my next class. I didn't yesterday because I didn't realize it would be a problem, and it was pretty far into the class before it was. Just wasn't sure if it was worth going to a class with a ton of twisting if I can't twist haha. Though really it was the untwisting that hurt, not the twisting itself.. this is more dangerous I think because I couldn't tell I was getting into a bad position until it was completely too late to avoid it.

Do you need a referral to PT from your doctor, or can you just find one yourself? I've only gone once to PT, it was with a referral, and I wasn't so impressed.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hang when I get tweaked.. I should hang every day.. but have been slacking lately. It feels so good to stretch and great way to do ab exercises.. doing sit ups while hanging is very good for the abs.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki quick response -
Don't sit with your legs crossed, wear flats for now, would avoid all twisting, and probably ice.
I wouldn't do yoga, PT with the right person to get back to relax and give you strength exercises down the road. Anti inflammatory, possible stronger (steroid) and muscle relaxer.

newboots

Angel Diva
Most insurances require a referral, but you can choose your own PT. Around here the PT offices will evaluate you and send the info to the DR’s office for an order.

You definitely have your choice of PTs unless some don’t take your insurance.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Most insurances require a referral, but you can choose your own PT. Around here the PT offices will evaluate you and send the info to the DR’s office for an order.

You definitely have your choice of PTs unless some don’t take your insurance.

I have very good insurance, so I’m not worried about that as a problem. My issue is that it’s extremely difficult to get into my regular doctor’s office should she want to examine me before referring for PT. I did look up a local sports therapy location that does an evaluation etc., so perhaps that would work if they send that to your doctor ahead of time for the referral. It looks like MA may also be a state that does not require you to have a referral for PT, but no idea how that goes with insurance requirements.

newboots

Angel Diva
It looks like MA may also be a state that does not require you to have a referral for PT, but no idea how that goes with insurance requirements.

I hope it goes well, and you can get in to the PT of your choice! There are good ones, bad ones, and great ones in my experience. Best of luck!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki Dont wait for Dr - Can you go to urgent care ? Request PT and some meds. Sometimes you have to be your own advocate - why waste time waiting for primary, verify your coverage and move forward. Sports therapy sounds promising.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Disclaimer -- the following is if it's muscular and not a nerve thing....

Is the twinge happening in both directions?

A couple options I can think of are
(1) not go as deeply into the twist
(2) turn away from the twist (if it's an asymmetrical leg position), or
(3) not twist at all.

(1) Example - if the twist is hands in prayer and elbow to knee, instead stay more upright, open your arms to a T, and turn from there
(2) Example - if it's a lunge with the right foot forward, instead of turning to the right, rotate to the left, and keep the torso upright
(3) Example - above example - stay in the normal lunge without any rotation

Backs are tricky. In many muscular cases, back issues arise because there's an imbalance between the core and the back. But the spine and nerves are a whole other ball of wax (and feel different, too).

If I were you, I'd actually rest and see if that changes things. Hope you feel better!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For a couple of back issues in 2018-19, in addition to PT, I did a back care program called SpineZone that was covered by my health insurance. I'd be happy to forward my notes to you if you're interested.

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve had good results working with a PT who herself does and understands yoga.

Also, I strongly recommend finding a certified Iyengar yoga teacher. Iyengar yoga promotes good alignment and uses all sorts of props to help you make the right movements without straining or injuring other body parts.

kiki

Angel Diva
Oh my, despite all the « getting ready for the season » I’ve tried to do I just dig out my ski boots and put them on for the first time this season. I forgot the agony. Normally I wear them around the house for or a while to prepare for ski season. Goodness, I can’t wait to add on 10lb of ski clothes and a set of skis to this combo! Worn out already after 15 m. Gah....

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Oh yeah. I'm already dreading putting my boots on and that first day. There's a good chance I'll need to get my boots adjusted for the season since i gave birth back in July and feet tend to get longer/larger following pregnancy. When I had dropped my skis off back in late spring for the summer tune and wax, the fitter congratulated me and said he'd see me in the fall to fix my boots. :-D

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh my, despite all the « getting ready for the season » I’ve tried to do I just dig out my ski boots and put them on for the first time this season. I forgot the agony. Normally I wear them around the house for or a while to prepare for ski season. Goodness, I can’t wait to add on 10lb of ski clothes and a set of skis to this combo! Worn out already after 15 m. Gah....

You could also get ankle weights and wander around the house with those without banging up your floors as badly. However be careful with them so you don’t tweak a knee or something. And for your upper body, even if you’re not interested in lifting weights, start walking with an old pair of ski poles or trekking poles. The angle that you need to use is different than the way we walk with our hands by our sides. Just holding the polls up for walking will get the upper arms into the game a bit. Another thing you can do is take a backpack and load it with weights or books or something, not too much the first time, and wear that out walking. It increases the load on the body. Just make sure the pack is fitted on your upper to mid back rather than sitting on your fanny!

and if you’re really nuts you can do what Julia Mancuso used to do which was Pilates with her ski boots on! Definitely a major core workout!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna