• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting fit for the season

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm chuckling at my laptop! And thinking about how much I have changed over the decades. Today I took, as I called it, 'Sweat-alates'!! Combination TRX-Tower class at the Pilates studio where I teach. So I taught an hour private (where I just walk, watch, correct my client) session then took the class. I figure I'll go for a brisk walk and be done for today, unless I add wandering the house with ankle weights. I do that to get used to the extra weight that will come with boots and skis. I am considering jumping into one of our barre classes from time to time. And I do some walk/jogging as I have a road race in October. I try and at least walk three to five miles a day, every day. Or kayak. Or sail.

NOW ... when I was younger and also more of a weight lifter, I did crazy pre-season workouts and taught winter sports pre-season conditioning classes. I would jump up onto aerobic step benches and land on dyna discs to challenge my balance. And do the plyometric work we did with volleyball players, jumping over boxes from side to side. And squats, lunges, monster band steps etc etc. At the tail end of that time I worked with kettlebells. Amazing workout, if done correctly and safely. I did all of this at least five, usually six days a week.

For me the difference is between my 40s and my 60s and the stray health issue, and arthritis here and there that has cropped up over time. I'd say there is no exact answer. It's all what is right for YOU and your body. Fit without creating pain or injury to prevent you from getting out this winter to do what you love.

And yes, all that typing allowed me to procrastinate from getting out for that walk!!!!

Okay your entire workout program whether from 40s-60s makes me feel extremely sedentary and lazy and I’m 36! Lol Perhaps I need to up my motivation level a bit..or a lot!!!! :boom:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay your entire workout program whether from 40s-60s makes me feel extremely sedentary and lazy and I’m 36! Lol Perhaps I need to up my motivation level a bit..or a lot!!!! :boom:

OK, but no beating yourself up about what you are, or are not doing!! Our gender is all to good at being our own worst enemy! :smile: And I still haven't left for that walk!!!!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

If it's any consolation, I just go to gymnastics once a week and contemplate how I should probably do more... like swimming, or the H.I.I.T the water class at the Y, or yoga, or running, or or or...

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not too many type is on this site, are there! Happy Friday everybody! The warm friendly and gentle to yourselves!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m 36! Lol Perhaps I need to up my motivation level a bit..or a lot!!!!
At that age and working full time, I wasn't doing any regular fitness classes. Just played table tennis about once a week. But back then I was only skiing for a few days every few years. :wink:

How many days per week does everyone workout preseason?
Depends on what you consider a "workout." I'm doing an hour session with my trainer about once a week. Trying to get to a 30-min class at the gym once a week, but I'm going to start traveling so that won't happen too often between now and December. As for cardio, rarely do that more than once a week.

What I'm trying to do more often is stretching, foam rolling, and the short Pilates routine. Along with basic hamstring exercises that take 5-10 min. Not quite daily but going for 4-5 times a week.

Jenny

Angel Diva
If it's any consolation, I just go to gymnastics once a week and contemplate how I should probably do more... like swimming, or the H.I.I.T the water class at the Y, or yoga, or running, or or or...
Much more my speed. I get yoga 3-4 times a week, and was walking a couple days, but then stuff intervened. As a matter of fact, my every other weekend walking partner and I are going for drinks tonight instead of walking. We'll do it tomorrow.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
How many days per week does everyone workout preseason?

I have pretty much the same schedule from the end of ski season to the beginning of the next: three days on (and by that I mean three days working out), one day off. Mostly I work out at the gym, but sometimes I bike (not as much as I used to, before I had my bad bike accident). I also do half an hour of yoga every morning.

kiki

Angel Diva
I have been doing yoga since February and am curious to see how it will impact my skiing. I go 3-5 times a week. Go to zumba about 1x/week. Have also started a couple cardio classes on weekends to build up my stamina.
I injured my wrist in mid-August so that is making it harder to exercise - no weight bearing or bending things and i need to get fit without injuring it further so that it is healed by ski season.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I try to do something (pilates, yoga, muscle class, walking, hiking....) 4-5 days a week, except when life gets in the way. Some weeks I only manage 2-3 days. After Thanksgiving I usually start substituting 1-3 mornings skiing at Wachusett for some of the above. Nothing like actual skiing to get in shape.

MissySki

Angel Diva
This morning my upper deltoids, upper/outer glutes, and abs are all chattering at me. All from the core power yoga class yesterday. What a great workout, this is the type of yoga class I really really like, can’t wait to go back!

Jilly

Staff member
I've been working 2x a week with a personal trainer. 1/2 hr 1 to 1 and then 1/2 hr cardio. Then paddle practice 2x a week. We are finished with paddling for the season so I need to fill that space. I have a membership with Planet Fitness so I think I'll go and do some stationary biking or see if the have a rower.

marzNC

Angel Diva
This morning my upper deltoids, upper/outer glutes, and abs are all chattering at me. All from the core power yoga class yesterday. What a great workout, this is the type of yoga class I really really like, can’t wait to go back!
The women who teaches a weekly 30-min class called Core Express did Flow Yoga last week. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Holding yoga positions doesn't hold my interest.

How long was the power yoga class?

MissySki

Angel Diva
The women who teaches a weekly 30-min class called Core Express did Flow Yoga last week. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Holding yoga positions doesn't hold my interest.

How long was the power yoga class?

It was a full hour, but probably about 45 minutes in we started on more balance poses and winding down on the floor with stretching and such. The beginning you’re getting warmed up and everything, so probably the middle 35 mins was the real meat that got me sweating and challenged. It was really great overall. I agree, I’m not one for too much of the slower stuff either. This class had a ton of fitness mixed into the yoga flow, and also enough of the zen and body loosening aspects I love. I’m so happy I found this class, I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to see how she mixes it up each week (hopefully that’s the case as I don’t like repetition in classes week to week).

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I don't do anything different for skiing as try to do the following year round:

Bike 2 x a week
Walk 2 x a week
Personal trainer 1 x a week - work on most of what @Abbi mentioned above
Run 1-2 x per week
Gym - ride to gym for cardio and do weights for 1/2 hour - 2 x per week if works into schedule.

That's about it unless on summer/fall vacation when kayaking, hiking, etc. I'm lucky enough to live on the Central Coast (northern part) of California with mild climate but does rain and can get cold in January-February.

No I don't necessarily do everything in the same week (except the personal trainer every Friday for one hour) but that's pretty much what I do year round

MissySki

Angel Diva
Today was my second time attending the core power yoga class. It was really great again, and lots of variation from last week which makes me happy, I hate repetition from week to week in classes. I like to just go with the flow and not have prior knowledge of what’s coming as we go. I was working on around 4 hours of sleep due to being at the Pats game last night and having worse than usual traffic getting out of the parking lot there. I almost decided to stay in bed, but really glad I pushed through and made it to the class at 7 am. I’m still going strong working right now (yay Fridays at home), but I assume I’m going to crash at some point later on! Haha

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I've been doing Pilates and it's been great for my weak legs and ankles; in fact, I was so sore from Monday's class (lots of squats) that today was the first day it didn't hurt to walk! Hope to have quads by December!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Mat pilates can be good too.

Have posted this video before but it's a favorite. Can you guess how old the woman is who does the demonstration? She's an instructor at Vail who also teaches pilates.
In June I started trying to do this Pilates routine as often as possible. Managed to average twice a week thru the summer and into the early fall, with a few weeks when I did it four times. Can feel the difference after four months in terms of how much easier it is to do a few of the exercises because my core is stronger. I've also been doing other stuff good for core strength. But this routine is serving as a good marker, as well as something that I can do even on days when I don't do anything else for one reason or another.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly