• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting fit for the season

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bike shorts with a good chamois pad will help. The bounciness--maybe increase the tension?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have a pair of shorts with padding, but they aren’t really ones I’d want to walk around the gym in.. I’ll have to look for a more discrete pair.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I have a pair of biking shorts that look like work-out shorts; the padded lining is inside, so they're a bit more discrete. You can remove the lining, too, if and when you like.

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 6.56.01 AM.png

Is that what you had in mind? They're from LLBean.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have a pair of biking shorts that look like work-out shorts; the padded lining is inside, so they're a bit more discrete. You can remove the lining, too, if and when you like.

View attachment 11245

Is that what you had in mind? They're from LLBean.

Yes, thanks I’ll look into these! The pair I have are spandex so the padding is very obvious when walking around and the spin studio required walking through 2 floors of the main gym from the locker room. Not that it’s a big deal, but I find them very unflattering and my gym had a lot of fellow employees so I’d just rather not feel self conscious in those.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I know what you mean. I wore those LLBean shorts all through my bike trip to the Netherlands, where I was biking/sightseeing/going into stores/etc, so a lot of walking around when I didn't want to look like a cyclist.

I have the regular spandex biking shorts, too, but I wear those strictly when I'm road biking.

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do pilates for core strength and leg strength and overall fitness, strength and flexibility. I do yoga for core strength and flexibility, especially in my hip flexors. Walk and bike for endurance. I can ski for the whole day, 5 days in a row and not get tired nor need pain relief unless it's powder than I tend to tire by the end of the day since I'm not used to it and need to keep digging myself out of deep snow

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm doing Pilates twice a week now. My studio hired a new instructor. She is tough, a stickler on all those infinite details that are part of Pilates! I'm enjoying it. Outside of that, I took a break from my other workouts for a few weeks. Time to get back into it.

Christy

Angel Diva
I'm doing Pilates twice a week now. My studio hired a new instructor. She is tough, a stickler on all those infinite details that are part of Pilates! I'm enjoying it. Outside of that, I took a break from my other workouts for a few weeks. Time to get back into it.

I love the precision of Pilates. I don't know why as I am not a perfectionist in general. I used to have a Russian teacher that would make the whole class do an exercise set over if she saw even one person doing it incorrectly. Loved it.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
What about padded underwear?
I have the Club Ride Jewel bikini - can find on sale for around $25
I have the Club Ride Eden shorts that come with the removable underwear (exactly what @WaterGirl is referring to.) They also work under all my shorts.
Also have the Club Ride Joanie capri (2 pairs got on STP) so I can wear the underwear under as well.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sometimes wear bike pants or tight stretch pants that go down to the knees, and wear loose fitting shorts on top of them. The stretch pants peep out below the shorts, and I'm OK with that.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My trainer is getting me ready for the season. He has me doing a lot of "hip" work. Not building strength but power. I still do some strength work but it's all in an "explosive" manner. Lighter weights, faster lifts.
When my trainer asked what I was interested in working on the fall, I said hips and hamstrings, including adductors and abductors. Between the two of us dealing with ACL injuries, keeping hamstrings and adductors/abductors strong is standard. I started focusing on hip flexibility about a year ago. Been interesting to learn what to do for hips in general. So far, we've used the TRX and Swiss ball.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I did spin again today, more fun when you know what to expect AND with padded shorts!!! I didn’t have time to get another less conspicuous pair yet so I wore my spandex pair and tied a sweatshirt around my waist for the walk to and from the locker room.

MissySki

Angel Diva
How many days per week does everyone workout preseason? As I stated recently, I fell off of the bandwagon awhile back due to a very busy time at work, but I’m back now. However, I’ve been doing one day of spin, one of slow yoga where we do lots of different things, one of my favorite being hip openers recently and lots of flexibility work, and I just started a new core power yoga class today that was amazing (it was enough of a workout to make me sweat and get my heart going on a cool morning and it was quite challenging, can’t wait to do it again! I left feeling SO refreshed). I might check out a barre class tomorrow at the same place I did the yoga today because it’s very close to my house and I have a great intro rate for the first month, but that will stop once ski season starts obviously since it’s a Saturday. What else should I add in? I’m thinking another day where I focus on light weights or bands at the gym with some cardio on the side? I’m bad at knowing if I’m doing enough all around every week, but I’m not a hit the gym hard everyday type of person either. How do you gauge what’s enough for you?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How many days per week does everyone workout preseason? As I stated recently, I fell off of the bandwagon awhile back due to a very busy time at work, but I’m back now. However, I’ve been doing one day of spin, one of slow yoga where we do lots of different things, one of my favorite being hip openers recently and lots of flexibility work, and I just started a new core power yoga class today that was amazing (it was enough of a workout to make me sweat and get my heart going on a cool morning and it was quite challenging, can’t wait to do it again! I left feeling SO refreshed). I might check out a barre class tomorrow at the same place I did the yoga today because it’s very close to my house and I have a great intro rate for the first month, but that will stop once ski season starts obviously since it’s a Saturday. What else should I add in? I’m thinking another day where I focus on light weights or bands at the gym with some cardio on the side? I’m bad at knowing if I’m doing enough all around every week, but I’m not a hit the gym hard everyday type of person either. How do you gauge what’s enough for you?

I'm chuckling at my laptop! And thinking about how much I have changed over the decades. Today I took, as I called it, 'Sweat-alates'!! Combination TRX-Tower class at the Pilates studio where I teach. So I taught an hour private (where I just walk, watch, correct my client) session then took the class. I figure I'll go for a brisk walk and be done for today, unless I add wandering the house with ankle weights. I do that to get used to the extra weight that will come with boots and skis. I am considering jumping into one of our barre classes from time to time. And I do some walk/jogging as I have a road race in October. I try and at least walk three to five miles a day, every day. Or kayak. Or sail.

NOW ... when I was younger and also more of a weight lifter, I did crazy pre-season workouts and taught winter sports pre-season conditioning classes. I would jump up onto aerobic step benches and land on dyna discs to challenge my balance. And do the plyometric work we did with volleyball players, jumping over boxes from side to side. And squats, lunges, monster band steps etc etc. At the tail end of that time I worked with kettlebells. Amazing workout, if done correctly and safely. I did all of this at least five, usually six days a week.

For me the difference is between my 40s and my 60s and the stray health issue, and arthritis here and there that has cropped up over time. I'd say there is no exact answer. It's all what is right for YOU and your body. Fit without creating pain or injury to prevent you from getting out this winter to do what you love.

And yes, all that typing allowed me to procrastinate from getting out for that walk!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna