• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting fit for the season

Christy

Angel Diva
So far, I've noticed the difference in instructors: one, I assume, has been classically trained because of the way she focuses on form. Others, not so much. I took from someone in the past who went through the apprenticeship, but I didn't like her studio. It seemed set up more for private lessons, which I can't really afford.
Your right, though, but for now, I'm making it work for me.

I would steer clear of any Pilates place/instructor that isn't focused on form. There are so many ways your body can cheat and render the exercises fairly ineffective (or worse, and make you prone to injury). I've been doing Pilates for over 15 years and I still have the experience of an instructor coming over, making a very minor adjustment to my form, and feeling OH! that's a whole new world.

Christy

Angel Diva
A lot of people tend to overlook core strength, which is so, so important. I posted about it in my blog today, if anyone's interested. Go here.

The plank test surprises me. I suspect the average person can't hold a plank for two minutes. Are we sure that chart isn't meant to make people feel they are in bad shape and get people to sign up at the gym/get personal training sessions?

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The plank test surprises me. I suspect the average person can't hold a plank for two minutes. Are we sure that chart isn't meant to make people feel they are in bad shape and get people to sign up at the gym/get personal training sessions?

I definitely can't plank for two minutes! Planks tire out my shoulders as well. On the flipside, I'd wager that the majority of people don't have good core strength so perhaps most people are sub-average...? I'd still rate 1-2 minutes as "good" though personally, provided proper form is kept.

Which reminds me, I should start working on planks myself... I noticed my lower back aching occasionally after skiing the last couple of times I went. I think I'm letting my low back arch too much and it absorbs impact where it shouldn't be! More core work required!

marzNC

Angel Diva
When I looked around for more about the ideas related to a plank test, most of the examples I found involved doing a plank on elbows, not with straight arms. But also found other test variations that were even tougher. For instance found one that started with a static plank and moved directly into picking up an arm or leg, then an arm and opposite leg, holding each position for 15 sec. Found one fitness webpage where the writer admitted he made up the categories and timing. Meaning it wasn't based on data of people actually doing the test. There are sports fitness journal articles using plank timing as a measure between groups (e.g. men/women, varsity athletes/non-varsity students), but the subjects were college age so the times are not relevant to me for sure.

I timed myself doing a plank using the TRX, with straight arms. Wasn't really worrying about what's considered "average" or "strong." More interested to see if my time changes over the next few months because I hope to be doing a fair amount of ski fitness exercising this fall.

MissySki

Angel Diva
When I looked around for more about the ideas related to a plank test, most of the examples I found involved doing a plank on elbows, not with straight arms. But also found other test variations that were even tougher. For instance found one that started with a static plank and moved directly into picking up an arm or leg, then an arm and opposite leg, holding each position for 15 sec. Found one fitness webpage where the writer admitted he made up the categories and timing. Meaning it wasn't based on data of people actually doing the test. There are sports fitness journal articles using plank timing as a measure between groups (e.g. men/women, varsity athletes/non-varsity students), but the subjects were college age so the times are not relevant to me for sure.

I timed myself doing a plank using the TRX, with straight arms. Wasn't really worrying about what's considered "average" or "strong." More interested to see if my time changes over the next few months because I hope to be doing a fair amount of ski fitness exercising this fall.

I find TRX planks very difficult for some reason (with arms straight)! I definitely can’t hold that for 2 minutes I don’t think. I’ll have to time myself on the floor.. I also thought the given times were quite high.

What time did you get when timing on TRX?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I find TRX planks very difficult for some reason (with arms straight)! I definitely can’t hold that for 2 minutes I don’t think. I’ll have to time myself on the floor.. I also thought the given times were quite high.

What time did you get when timing on TRX?
It was about half what I did a couple days later doing a static plank with straight arms. I have a pretty good sense of how much longer I can hold a straight-arm plank now compared to June when I started working with my personal trainer for 4 weekly sessions.

I also use the standard 7-min HIIT as a gauge for how I'm doing in terms of fitness in general. When I'm in good shape, I can do 15 straight-arm pushups in 30 sec. When I'm out of practice, 8-10 is where I start these days. I started exercising for ski conditioning deliberately about five years ago. I think I was doing about 5 pushups and then resting for the remainder of that 30-sec time slot.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would steer clear of any Pilates place/instructor that isn't focused on form. There are so many ways your body can cheat and render the exercises fairly ineffective (or worse, and make you prone to injury). I've been doing Pilates for over 15 years and I still have the experience of an instructor coming over, making a very minor adjustment to my form, and feeling OH! that's a whole new world.
I agree that the instructors training is extremely important. I took pilates classes when it wasn't well known. The instructor was trained in NYC. She was extremely attentive to details and strict on form. She trained her husband and he took over the class while she moved on. At first I thought that was OK. He let a lot of things slide that she never would have. Nevertheless, I quit the class and have not taken a pilates class since. If I couldn't improve my movements in that class there was no sense in continuing.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was about half what I did a couple days later doing a static plank with straight arms. I have a pretty good sense of how much longer I can hold a straight-arm plank now compared to June when I started working with my personal trainer for 4 weekly sessions.

I also use the standard 7-min HIIT as a gauge for how I'm doing in terms of fitness in general. When I'm in good shape, I can do 15 straight-arm pushups in 30 sec. When I'm out of practice, 8-10 is where I start these days. I started exercising for ski conditioning deliberately about five years ago. I think I was doing about 5 pushups and then resting for the remainder of that 30-sec time slot.
My first personal trainer was at a local rec. center. She would have me hold planks as long as I could. I got up to 2 minutes. That plank chart was on the wall in the trainers office.

I now work with a functional fitness focused trainer. Even when I first started with him I've not held a plank longer than 30 sec. Yesterday, I tried a 1 arm, 1 leg plank on the TRX. Very difficult but easy to do on the floor. The hold time is 30 sec. At the end of tomorrow's workout I'm scheduled to do a TRX plank series-knee tuck, saw and side planks. The hold for each is 20 sec. These are finishers-the last exercise after a series of exercises.

I read a lot of articles from fitness professionals. The general opinion is that holding planks for a long period of time gets you good at holding planks but not much else.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for sharing the Mikaela video. I applaud her upper body work! As I’ve gotten older, I find arm work to be so tedious, but now have a personal trainer to manage me through those “I don’t want to do that” moments. The walking on weights segment is beyond impressive.

I started seeing a trainer 2x per week since May after running the Wings for Life World Run and experiencing pain in one knee. Luckily, my injury was minor, but I was in a Donjoy brace (the Mad Max looking model) for 4 weeks. My orthopedist is the medical director for a number of south Florida professional sports teams and advised I could still exercise, but not run during heal time. Since my baller gym is owned by a couple NFL’rs and an orthopedic surgeon, I secured a trainer there who’s also a physical therapist specializing in athlete injuries. So now I’m rebounding with retired and injured Miami Dolphins and Florida Panther players during lunch hour. We’re all with our own trainers in a segmented area of the gym and I’m sure we look like quite a motley crew from afar.

I was doing reformer Pilates and Versaclimber before the running injury, but now only use the Versaclimber, an Octane Lateral machine, and the treadmill in between my 2 training sessions a week. I need to incorporate more stretching on my own, but for reasons unclear I’d rather eat burritos than stretch.

The videos being shared in this string are encouraging. Thank you all for sharing.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read a lot of articles from fitness professionals. The general opinion is that holding planks for a long period of time gets you good at holding planks but not much else.

Absolutely! I’m sure your trainer who emphasizes function does much more for your overall conditioning. Workouts that mimic what you will be doing help more IMHO. At least if you have a solid fitness base to build on.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thanks for sharing the Mikaela video. I applaud her upper body work! As I’ve gotten older, I find arm work to be so tedious, but now have a personal trainer to manage me through those “I don’t want to do that” moments. The walking on weights segment is beyond impressive.

I started seeing a trainer 2x per week since May after running the Wings for Life World Run and experiencing pain in one knee. Luckily, my injury was minor, but I was in a Donjoy brace (the Mad Max looking model) for 4 weeks. My orthopedist is the medical director for a number of south Florida professional sports teams and advised I could still exercise, but not run during heal time. Since my baller gym is owned by a couple NFL’rs and an orthopedic surgeon, I secured a trainer there who’s also a physical therapist specializing in athlete injuries. So now I’m rebounding with retired and injured Miami Dolphins and Florida Panther players during lunch hour. We’re all with our own trainers in a segmented area of the gym and I’m sure we look like quite a motley crew from afar.

I was doing reformer Pilates and Versaclimber before the running injury, but now only use the Versaclimber, an Octane Lateral machine, and the treadmill in between my 2 training sessions a week. I need to incorporate more stretching on my own, but for reasons unclear I’d rather eat burritos than stretch.

The videos being shared in this string are encouraging. Thank you all for sharing.

Your gym sounds awesome!

MissySki

Angel Diva
For those of you who have personal trainers, do you do different styles of workouts than HIIT?? It seems like that’s the style of choice at my gym and I really hate it and therefore don’t want to invest in the cost of a personal trainer. I’m not saying it doesn’t get the quickest results, because it probabaly is one of the best things I’ve done in that regard, but I can’t make myself to commit to it long term because I literally dread it and then eventually convince myself it’s not worth it to make myself so miserable. So dramatic I know! Lol

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My trainer is always mixing things up. I'm not sure I've had an HIIT workout. My workouts are very much like Shriffron's at a much lower level. 2 workouts have 1 exercise where I lift heavy.

For example, After my warmup on Monday I did a circuit of 5 exercises-Bench Press @ 40lb (2-20 lb weights), 8 reps per side, DB reverse lunge swing pop w/8lb#, :30 ropes, 10 TRX Ice skater hops and 10 pull ups. I did 3 rounds that = 3 sets. I ended with the slideboard-8 sets of :20 slides with :40 rests. I was challenged to slide faster by counting the # of times I slid across the board.

Yesterday's workout was tiring. After warming up I did a circuit with 5 sets of 5 reps. I started with the RFESS-40# (2@20#), TRX Row, 10 Kettlebell swings, not sure of bell size, Landmine 1/2 Kneeling press, 35 #, and a sled push/pull @ 135 lbs. Then I tried a TRX 1 Arm 1 leg plank.

Tomorrow I after my warmup I will do 2 sets of 10 kettlebell swings then do an AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) workout. The workout consists of 8 reps of Cable Rotational Press, TRX Oblique Knee Tucks, Rope rotational slams and 4 TRX Resisted Torso Rotation, and rotational lunges. My goal for this workout is 6 rounds. I will end with the TRX plank series: Knee Tuck, Saw, Side Plank, 2 sets :20 ea.

My workouts vary and focus on what my upcoming activities are. In mid Sept I'm doing a 3 day 109 mile Mtn bike ride over 3 days. For example, I recently completed a bicycle tour in Wisconsin. I had 4 weeks of endurance work then 4 weeks of strength work before the tour. In the past I would have spent lots of time riding my bike. I doubt if I rode 50 miles before the tour. I rode 292 miles over an 8 day period. 2 of the days were 73 and 74 miles. Fortunately, they were not back to back. On the shorter days I thrived. On the 70 mile days I thrived until about 65 miles then survived the last 8 miles.

My gym is a small, private gym. The focus is functional fitness geared toward lifestyle needs. Squatting, lunging, push/pulls, etc. Very basic exercises. You work within your capabilities. I did not start at the level I'm working at now. I did mostly body weight exercises with bands and the TRX. I progressed when I was ready. My trainer will push me and challenge me but only when he thinks I can handle it. He's also a stickler on form.

There is no fancy equipment, kettlebells, weights, barbells, sled, slide board, ropes, TRX, cable machine, balls, sandbags, foam plyoboxes, bands, bosu, fit balls. They do offer spinning classes and 1 yoga class on Sunday. Even though they have the Bosu I've not used it, nor have I done any fancy balancing on the fitball. When I first started I used the fitball a lot but not so much now.

Unfortunately, functional fitness can mean many different things. I spent some time researching the various personal training certifications before I chose this gym. I read fitness gurus like Gray Cook, Dan John, Dr. Stewart McGill and others. I wanted to learn to use kettlebells but didn't have much success teaching myself. I also had an injury that I wasn't overcoming with PT so I had to be careful not to make the injury worse. The gym offered an introductory price that I took advantage of. I do semi-private training to reduce the cost but I often get 1-on-1 training.

My advice is to look at the trainers qualifications. The gyms focus, philosophy of training etc. If it's a big box gym or local rec center you may not find what you want. You may have to find a local, privately owned gym, expensive but well worth the investment.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I absolutely do more than HITT with my trainer.

I was doing HITT work at a friend’s gym and knew it wouldn’t be long term because, like you, I don’t like the circuit and more important, I recognized I get bored easily. I learned from Orange Theory that the repetitive concept of moving station to station wore off on me within 3 weeks. I was out of there quickly.

Armed with the knowledge of my wants and needs made my conversation with my current gym training staff much easier. I literally handed them the excercise sheets my orthopedic doc gave me and told them in so many words, “I love to ski and travel at great expense to do it. I also like to run the occasional 10K. I’m over 50 years old, have always been athletic, but have high cholesterol due to burrito and margarita consumption. Make me do these exercises to get my knee strong again, and by the way, I need a trainer who can keep me engaged because if things get boring, I’m gonna bail”.

I’ve yet to be bored. We’re always working on knee strength but wow, we’re addressing balance issues, core strength and overall conditioning. For me, the key was communicating my goals (make knee stronger) and advising how they’ll get the most out of me (keeping things different).

For those of you who have personal trainers, do you do different styles of workouts than HIIT?? It seems like that’s the style of choice at my gym and I really hate it and therefore don’t want to invest in the cost of a personal trainer. I’m not saying it doesn’t get the quickest results, because it probabaly is one of the best things I’ve done in that regard, but I can’t make myself to commit to it long term because I literally dread it and then eventually convince myself it’s not worth it to make myself so miserable. So dramatic I know! Lol

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My trainer is always mixing things up. I'm not sure I've had an HIIT workout. My workouts are very much like Shriffron's at a much lower level. 2 workouts have 1 exercise where I lift heavy.

For example, After my warmup on Monday I did a circuit of 5 exercises-Bench Press @ 40lb (2-20 lb weights), 8 reps per side, DB reverse lunge swing pop w/8lb#, :30 ropes, 10 TRX Ice skater hops and 10 pull ups. I did 3 rounds that = 3 sets. I ended with the slideboard-8 sets of :20 slides with :40 rests. I was challenged to slide faster by counting the # of times I slid across the board.

Yesterday's workout was tiring. After warming up I did a circuit with 5 sets of 5 reps. I started with the RFESS-40# (2@20#), TRX Row, 10 Kettlebell swings, not sure of bell size, Landmine 1/2 Kneeling press, 35 #, and a sled push/pull @ 135 lbs. Then I tried a TRX 1 Arm 1 leg plank.

Tomorrow I after my warmup I will do 2 sets of 10 kettlebell swings then do an AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) workout. The workout consists of 8 reps of Cable Rotational Press, TRX Oblique Knee Tucks, Rope rotational slams and 4 TRX Resisted Torso Rotation, and rotational lunges. My goal for this workout is 6 rounds. I will end with the TRX plank series: Knee Tuck, Saw, Side Plank, 2 sets :20 ea.

My workouts vary and focus on what my upcoming activities are. In mid Sept I'm doing a 3 day 109 mile Mtn bike ride over 3 days. For example, I recently completed a bicycle tour in Wisconsin. I had 4 weeks of endurance work then 4 weeks of strength work before the tour. In the past I would have spent lots of time riding my bike. I doubt if I rode 50 miles before the tour. I rode 292 miles over an 8 day period. 2 of the days were 73 and 74 miles. Fortunately, they were not back to back. On the shorter days I thrived. On the 70 mile days I thrived until about 65 miles then survived the last 8 miles.

My gym is a small, private gym. The focus is functional fitness geared toward lifestyle needs. Squatting, lunging, push/pulls, etc. Very basic exercises. You work within your capabilities. I did not start at the level I'm working at now. I did mostly body weight exercises with bands and the TRX. I progressed when I was ready. My trainer will push me and challenge me but only when he thinks I can handle it. He's also a stickler on form.

There is no fancy equipment, kettlebells, weights, barbells, sled, slide board, ropes, TRX, cable machine, balls, sandbags, foam plyoboxes, bands, bosu, fit balls. They do offer spinning classes and 1 yoga class on Sunday. Even though they have the Bosu I've not used it, nor have I done any fancy balancing on the fitball. When I first started I used the fitball a lot but not so much now.

Unfortunately, functional fitness can mean many different things. I spent some time researching the various personal training certifications before I chose this gym. I read fitness gurus like Gray Cook, Dan John, Dr. Stewart McGill and others. I wanted to learn to use kettlebells but didn't have much success teaching myself. I also had an injury that I wasn't overcoming with PT so I had to be careful not to make the injury worse. The gym offered an introductory price that I took advantage of. I do semi-private training to reduce the cost but I often get 1-on-1 training.

My advice is to look at the trainers qualifications. The gyms focus, philosophy of training etc. If it's a big box gym or local rec center you may not find what you want. You may have to find a local, privately owned gym, expensive but well worth the investment.
I also looked for a trainer that does a fitness test before working with me. My trainer uses the Functional Movement Screen, There are 7 tests that assess movement patterns. The scoring is 1-3. If you score a 1 on a test there are correctives that help you improve. My biggie was I couldn't touch my toes. I worked on hinging activities to fix my toe touch. Once I could do it I moved on to other hinging activities. Today I checked my toe touch. I can still do it. All the hamstring stretching in the world couldn't accomplish this.
My rec center trainer also knew I couldn't touch my toes. She did nothing to change this.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm amazed at the variety and combinations of exercises that can be put together. My program is circuit training but there are 2 different workouts with an AMRAP or playground workout for the 3rd day. There are 3 workouts designed to be done 4 times. So if I go 3x per week it takes me 4 weeks to complete the phase. Each workout has exercises I've done sometime in the past, a couple of new exercises and a couple from the prior phase. This type of planning gives me a break. Until this last phase, I've spent a lot of time working on pushups. Now I'm working on assisted pull-ups. While I know the program is designed to help improve my skills changing periodically keeps me from getting bored.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I lucked out. I was assigned to the woman who has become my personal trainer at a small fitness center I joined when I finished knee rehab. She was transitioning to have some private clients so it made sense to start doing sessions at her home instead of at the gym. When a fitness center opened much closer to my house I switched memberships, but stayed with her.

What I told her was similar to @bsskier . I wanted to be in better shape primarily for skiing. I get bored easily. I was open to anything, including the TRX. I had a knee without an ACL and needed to strengthen the muscles that support knees. I wanted to learn how to use exercise machines properly but wasn't going to be using them that consistently. Since I work with her May-Jul and Sep-Oct, she asks at the beginning of each period what I would like to focus on. One year we did weight lifting that's good for bone building. This spring cardio was a higher priority and we used the TRX and a Swiss ball. If I have an exercise I like but haven't done for a while, I can ask her to see if my form is correct. I've never been bored. She keeps coming up with different approaches to achieve the same fitness goals. More importantly, she teaches me stuff I can do on my own once I know what good form feels like.

Never thought about it this way before but In many ways, the way I relate to my personal trainer is similar to how I relate to a ski instructor that I work with over more than a season. I provide guidance about what's of interest by answering questions, but I also follow their lead about what's important to work on for while. The primary goal that is the same is to avoid bad habits in terms of bad form for an exercise or drill.

newboots

Angel Diva
@newboots ...
and suggested more baths with my guy Epsom.

++++ can use in shower also - I keep a container of Epsom salts in each shower- and use as a paste on affected area after a work out our possible injury and then rinse of after 5 mins .... I truly believe it helps mitigate overuse and injury.

I’ve pretty much found semi-miraculous results. I never tried the paste in the shower, but I have some magnesium spray, which I use when I want one spot to get extra attention

I buy Epsom salts in 19-lb. bags on Amazon, and I pour it into the tub liberally. @Abbi worries I may be overdosing. (I also take it orally.)

MissySki

Angel Diva
I finally tried a spin class today, and I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Does anyone have any tips for the seat not being so uncomfortable for your lady parts though? Sometimes it was fine, and sometimes it was not so much.. Might have just been that the bike wasn’t totally set up right since it’s my first time, the instructor helped figure out seat height, but that’s about it. I kept feeling like I was sliding forward into an uncomfortable position, does the seat tip up any? May have also been technique because sometimes it felt a little too bouncy? Overall I would do it again though.

Jilly

Staff member
Seat moves forward and back too, not just up and down. That might help. Bike shorts help or maybe a period pad?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna