• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting fit for the season

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I had a picture of her doing mat Pilates in ski boots back when I wrote an article on Pilates and skiing more than a couple of years ago! I did find this one of her working on the Cadillac apparatus. In ski boots! I think the picture was 2014. This is not classical Pilates but it certainly is an adaptive method that is sports specific.1606061555190.png

Jenny

Angel Diva
I had a picture of her doing mat Pilates in ski boots back when I wrote an article on Pilates and skiing more than a couple of years ago! I did find this one of her working on the Cadillac apparatus. In ski boots! I think the picture was 2014. This is not classical Pilates but it certainly is an adaptive method that is sports specific.View attachment 14147

I've never done anything but mat Pilates - gotta go look up that machine now!

kiki

Angel Diva
You could also get ankle weights and wander around the house with those without banging up your floors as badly. However be careful with them so you don’t tweak a knee or something. And for your upper body, even if you’re not interested in lifting weights, start walking with an old pair of ski poles or trekking poles. The angle that you need to use is different than the way we walk with our hands by our sides. Just holding the polls up for walking will get the upper arms into the game a bit. Another thing you can do is take a backpack and load it with weights or books or something, not too much the first time, and wear that out walking. It increases the load on the body. Just make sure the pack is fitted on your upper to mid back rather than sitting on your fanny!

and if you’re really nuts you can do what Julia Mancuso used to do which was Pilates with her ski boots on! Definitely a major core workout!
Thanks Abbi! Not as nuts as to do Pilates with my boots lol! Crazy!
I do have the ankle weights, need to use them more! Though the issue is the tilt, I normally don’t stand with that angle of forward tilt in my calves, I will try to wear them a bit every day and also alternate that with the weights as you suggest.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Who has a rower? Do you have any recommendations for free online classes to follow along with for a beginner? Someone gave me a water resistance rower they were no longer using and I’m so excited! Eventually Peloton is supposed to come out with one, so then there would be classes I can use. Curious if there is anything currently that I can use for free though as I have no desire to pay for more streaming classes monthly over what I already have.

Jilly

Staff member
Check with your local rowing club....they do winter training on them. I took a lesson years ago and still remember how. My gym got a used one too. But the resistance mechanism isn't working.

Soujan

Angel Diva
Who has a rower? Do you have any recommendations for free online classes to follow along with for a beginner? Someone gave me a water resistance rower they were no longer using and I’m so excited! Eventually Peloton is supposed to come out with one, so then there would be classes I can use. Curious if there is anything currently that I can use for free though as I have no desire to pay for more streaming classes monthly over what I already have.
I used to take rowing classes. We would do sprints on the rower then jump off and do sit-ups or push-ups or dips using the side of the machine. Use your imagination or get inspiration from the Peloton workouts.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I used to take rowing classes. We would do sprints on the rower then jump off and do sit-ups or push-ups or dips using the side of the machine. Use your imagination or get inspiration from the Peloton workouts.

Haha thanks! I think that's my issue, I'm not very imaginative for workouts and therefore tend towards classes. I usually workout at lunchtime, so it's nice to just go on autopilot and follow along in between everything else happening all day.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Haha thanks! I think that's my issue, I'm not very imaginative for workouts and therefore tend towards classes. I usually workout at lunchtime, so it's nice to just go on autopilot and follow along in between everything else happening all day.

I know this doesn’t exactly fit the bill, but Concept2 (engineered and made in Vermont whoop whoop) posts daily workouts here: https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/wod

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna