• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting back into skiing after 20 years

MissVancouver

Diva in Training
I'm getting back into skiing after 20 years and have discovered that much has changed. I've done a lot of reading--both here (great site!) and elsewhere-- and talked to skiers and it sounds like I can pretty much throw out everything I learned back in the 80s and start fresh.

I will be taking lessons next year (if you've been watching the 2010 Spring Olympics you know the local mountains are bare). I will want to buy my own equipment and would like advice on the following:

1. Should I get my own boots first? I think they should be the most important/valuable investment but maybe I'm wrong..?

2. How do I find out about ski demo clinics? I didn't even know about these until I found this site.

3. When will I know that I've reached the level at which it's worth buying skis?

4. I'm 5'5" and 170lbs of mostly muscle thanks to years of tai chi so I'll probably be a very strong well-balanced skier just like before. What should I look for in a ski, when it IS time to buy?

5. I used to ski with sunglasses because I hated the feel of goggles and that they'd reduce my peripheral vision. Has this also improved or will I still feel like I've got blinders on?

If you'd like to respond, don't worry about hurrying... I've got all Spring/Summer/Fall before I hit the slopes :D

Welcome back to skiing!

YES, boots first. Many skiers are sold boots that are too big for them, so make sure you go to a reputable boot fitter to get your boots.

I do recommend getting your own skis now, given your background you like having your own equipment. I would look at a length of about 154 cm given your height, weight, and athletic build. I am a big Volkl fan and the Luna is a great intermediate ski that you should be able to grow into quickly and should last you a couple of seasons until you're ready for something beefier. There are a lot of other options too, Dynastar, Nordica, just look for something that isn't too long or too stiff.

I think it will be hard for you to demo skis being as you haven't skied in so long, but if you can find a demo clinic, more power to ya! Just go on the websites for the mountains local to you and see if there are any clinics, it's getting late in the season for that sort of thing, but the goods news is that skis are starting to go on sale.

And I recommend Smith Heiress goggles, they are extremely comfortable and come in a variety of lenses. I own the blue sensor lens that I use for all conditions except bluebird sunny days when I use my platinum lens goggles.

Happy shopping! And welcome to the land of Ski Divas!

Jilly

Staff member
Boots first. And make sure you go to a boot fitter. I would suggest Snowcovers in Vancouver as one shop, as I've a friend that works there.

Demo days are usually listed in resort websites. Or sometimes the manufacturers website. Also many resorts have demo's available with their rental programs. I'm not sure, maybe mountainxtc can tell us, but there used to be a demo spot at the top of Blackcomb just outside the lodge.

Because of where you're skiing, I would suggest an all mountain type of ski. But demoing is the best thing.

Also LESSONS - the technique has changed since the 80's. What's really good is a multiple week clinic. We have Elle skis at Tremblant - women only, women instructors for 8 weeks on Saturday. Great way to learn again, meet some good people and get in some skiing. Check out programs over the summer where you think you'll be skiing.

You will find that most skiers are now wearing helmets. So sunglasses may or maynot work. Goggles usually work best. But the goggles and/or sunglasses need to work with it.

Have fun looking. The sales should have started too.

skikoss

Angel Diva
Hi You are in the same boat I was in last year. My vacation from skiing was a little longer than yours, about 25 years but I did try to get out once a year during that drought.

I purchased boots first, by following all the great advise I got from the Divas regarding size, and getting a proper fitting.

I then tried different skis for a few outings. I was very lucky the mountain I frequent had a large demo department (Bromley in VT). For $5 more than regular renting I was able to change skis several times during the day. They had a nice selection of K2, Rossi, Head, Dynastar...but no Volkl. Most were last years models, but usually not much difference from year to year except graphics. I was amazed how different each ski was. Try to demo during different conditions and keep a log or journal of how you responded to each ski. I did find a ski I really liked, I spent the summer looking for the best price, and purchased them before the snow started to fly for season #2 of my return.

Good luck...and Welcome back! You are going to be so happy you returned to skiing!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
09-10 was my first year back in 10 years.

This is what I learned.

Some things didn't change. It is still an expensive sport. It is still as much fun as it was before. I am not as flexible as I was years ago, but I can still ski.

Number one priority: Buy boots first from a quality boot fitter. Don't go too long or too wide or you will have foot pain. As me how I know.

HELMET - 20 years ago, we only saw helmets on racers. I thought it was overkill, but it seemed like a good idea. So, I bought a Smith Intrigue helmet just because it was a safety thing. Surprise - and I love it! It is so warm and comfy. I never have any peripheral vision issues. I can hear skiers behind me. I have taken 2 hard falls and appreciate the helmet taking the impact instead of my head. I can't imagine skiing without it now.

Goggles - get the ones that fit your helmet. It makes one integrated, comfy package. I found no peripheral vision problems at all on the Smith goggles I wear.

Skis - just get out there and demo. You will be surprised how quickly you remember how to ski. Shaped skis are easy to turn, and your old skills will make the adjustment easier.

Don't wait, just do it.

Bing

Angel Diva
Welcome back !!! I took a wee break for 10 or so years and have been back to it for the 6.

I echo the comments of the others - get a Helmet, get boot fitted boots & get lessons.

Demo skis before buying, but buy new skis, the technology is so different and so much better !!!

OH .... and buy up TONNES of cheap clothing stuff right now - the deals are on, hit the ski shops now for a funky outfit & base layers!

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BOOTS first!! Jilly suggested Snowcovers in van - they are now owned by Skiis and Biikes of Ontario - I'm not sure what they have done with the vancouver store but up here they have kept on many of the snowcovers staff. If you're planning to come to Whistler I recommend Wild Willies or Fanatyk Co. Make sure when you're trying on boots that you take into account that 1. they will pack out and get roomier 2. a bootfitter can stretch a boot to make extra room but cannot shrink the boot. So go for the one that feel too small at first!! Also get custom footbeds if you can afford it.

You can demo skis for free here at WB. There is a demo centre on Whistler mtn at the top of the gondola and on Blackcomb outside Glacier Creek. all you need is a credit card and ID (but there is no charge, just for security). They carry a good selection of the skis available to buy in Whistler. To get back into skiing look for an all mountain ski 75-85 in the waist (can go narrower, don't go wider), preferably non twin tip. Once you get back into it you will figure out what type of skier you are and what terrain you aspire to and you can narrow down your selection from there.

As for gear, get a helmet, goggles, good gloves and thin, non-synthetic ski socks (merino wool/smartwool etc). Goggles are a million times better than sunglasses for skiing, there's more definition and no interference from wind. Fogging is no longer so much of an issue with helmets. I have perfect peripheral vision in my googles. don't take recommendations for frames. Just try on until you find a pair that fits your face well. since you are starting from scratch I would get googles first, then find a helmet that fits with them. A good lens is important. If you are on a budget go for an orange lens (e.g. oakley persimmon). It's good in all conditions but not outstanding in any. In our area the smith sensor or oakley high intensity persimmon are good specialty lenses, great in flat light/fog but not too too bright if the sun comes out.

Get natural fibre base layers (icebreaker are my faves). For outerwear choose a jacket and pants with at least a 10K waterproof rating. Ideally 20K. There are wet days here!

Finally check out our Roxy womens camps here at WB, weekend camps (there are usually 2 per month), all levels, perfect for getting you back into the swing of things. Welcome back to the ski world and congrats on the decision to come back!!!

NbyNW

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome back!

I'm also getting back into it after 10 years off. I just bought my first pair of boots a few weeks ago and I am now demoing everything that I can get my hands on, which has been slow going. The boots have been a great investment, and I'm learning a lot about myself as a skier as I try out different skis.

I also bought a helmet and new goggles. Goggles are great for keeping your eyes warm and I have plenty of peripheral vision. Helmet is because I have had a couple of close shaves getting nearly run over by snowboarders.

Have fun!

Christy

Angel Diva
Definitely take advantage of the free Whistler demo deal MountainXTC mentioned. If you demo skis one by one from a shop it can run $40-$50/day so it's worth the drive to Whistler. Skis are mostly about what you like and don't like, so demoing is really the only way to figure out what you want.

Did you do much of your skiing in the past (when you wore sunglasses) in your local area? I ask because I ski in the PNW and there just aren't that many days I could wear sunglasses! I need goggles to keep snow out of my eyes, to keep snow from stinging my face, to keep my face warm, and to help with flat light. If I skied in Colorado I might wear sunglasses more but not here in the NW.

Taos Blonde

Certified Ski Diva
Hi! I just got back into skiing after a 20 year break. It's as much fun as ever, and I love the new equipment. I skied for two days on my own (with rented equimpment) just to make sure that I still wanted to take up the sport again.

Last year, I promised myself a week of lessons. I took a week of morning group lessons with like-level women and it really helped. I'm really happy that I took the lessons--they raised my confidence and ability. Also, there have been some changes in ski technique with the new equipment.

I bought a ski helmet before going on the slopes. I was clueless about helmets, so put myself in the Bootdoctors (a shop in the Taos Ski Valley) hands. Definitely get a helmet.

Also, before heading out--I'm kind of embarrased to tell you this--I bought Bolle goggles--at Costco. They were reasonably priced, I need a pair, and they could be returned if they did not fit. They fit fine, and have worked out well on the slopes.

I rented boots and skis to begin with. My equipment is so old that I was afraid that it would disintegrate. The shop where I rented the skis and boots (Cottams in Taos Ski Valley) let me switch brands and sizes, so that was a big help with narrowing down brands and understanding boot sizes. I eventially visited the highly-regarded Bootdoctors shop (one in Taos, another in Telluride) and they got me all fitted into some Nordica Hot Rod 80s.

I also demoed skis for two or three ski days after my ski lesson week. It seemed like I tried everything under the sun, exchanging skis after one or two runs. I thought it was a little over the top at first because I was away from the sport for so long and how on earth could I possibly tell the different skis apart. But I was indeed able to distinguish. I ended up buying a pair of Atomic Cloud 7s. I really liked the K2 True Loves, too. But I went for the less expensive ski.

My ski instructor suggested that we wear ultra thin socks. So I bought a pair of Bridgedale Ultralights (her suggestion), too. BTW, at the end of last year's ski season, I bought ski gloves, silk long underwear and a jacket at SierraTradingPost.com. They were incredibly well priced. I picked up some powder pants locally at the end of last season.

I just bought new poles today at REI (my old ones are a disaster!). On sale.

So, bottom line--buy boots first. Take lessons. Demo equipment if you can. And ask lots of questions. Everyone was incredibly helpful.

And have lots of fun. Now I'm so sorry that I took 20 year off--look at all of the skiing that I missed!!!!!

gmhopkins

Certified Ski Diva
You've already hit the right people -- the Boot Doctors. So, get them to fix you up w. a pair of boots and then swallow and have them personally fit them for you. I did that some years back at the Boot Doctors, and though I've gone through several pairs of skis, the boots are still marvelous. (Realized just how marvelous when I rented some demos & boots -- hadn't dragged mine w. me -- and was amazed at the difference in level of control.) You also hit the right place for lessons: Brilliant!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:bump: Someone was asking me about this very topic lately, so I thought I'd bump it up. Anyone have any more advice for someone who wants to come back to skiing?

KBee

Angel Diva
Visit a good PT and get skiing specific knee strengthening exercises. Make sure you're in good condition. Good, independent boot fitter--not some young snowboarder at a shop. Lessons from an instructor who has been teaching at least 20 years. (Get the boot fitter referral from them.)

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did this very thing and it was one of the very best decisions ever. There is only one cost expenditure I would invest in: lessons. Boots, skis, poles, goggles, jackets, pants, etc. can be borrowed or rented and acquired over time. And it will probably come back more quickly than you think.

The corrollary to this is, don’t overthink it. Just do it.

kiki

Angel Diva
Bumping, lots of people likely thinking about returning to the hills after a break, at this time of year.

Returing to skiing, for me, meant accepting that my body has changed over the years. I don't have the muscles or the cardio that I used to. I take longer to heal. I cry more LOL! When we're in our 20's we're invincible, in our 40's we are doing a lot of damage control. Worst, I forgot everything. This is not like "getting back on a bike". It's a lot of work. And yet I found that joy and exhilaration is still there. I am so glad to have re-found this passion.

Invest in lessons, get decent equipment, and give yoursself some budget to stop frequently for breaks with a croissant or hot chocolate. Take time to stop and take a photo here and there. Listen to your body. Have fun. As you are rebuilding ski skills and muscles be patient :-).

So many of my friends my age tell me they used to ski and they loved it but they aren't up to it now. Be brave and know you can do it, and it is as exhilarating and joyful as you remember.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly