• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting back in after long break

OregonGirl

Diva in Training
Hello Everyone, I am so glad I have found this forum. I've been reading here for a while, but this is my first post. I recently got back into skiing after about a 15 year break. Prior to that I had raced for about ten years. Until last night (first time back out), I had never skied on anything but straight skis. I'll try to keep this brief but need some advice.

I wanted to demo last night, but there is not enough of a base here and no one I talked to has their demos going out yet. I ended up renting and when the guy asked me what size I said about 160cm (I am 5'3", 155lbs.) He said that since I was just getting back that I should go much shorter than that and put me on 138's (twin tip.) I was really skeptical but went with it. I could not control them very well at all, but was unsure if it was me or the ski since it had been so long. It was also pretty icy. I went back and asked for a bigger size and they gave me 148's and they felt so much better.

I usually ski in the Pacific NW and the first chance I have to demo will probably be over holiday break at Mt. Bachelor. I will be skiing mostly on piste, as my children are still learning, but am looking for a ski that would maybe be a good 70/30 or 60/40 on/off piste ski for out here in PNW as they will be in lessons often and I can ski off piste some then.

I have a couple of questions - Is it possible to lack control because the skis are too short? Can anyone give me any good recommendations of where to start with demo's? I have been doing lots of research, but that just makes me more confused. I've talked to a couple of friends that I raced with who are still actively skiing and they both said I should get a mid-fat, but I am looking for any advice I can get on where to start with demos so I can narrow down ideas. I would say after last night that my skiing style is still pretty aggressive. Thanks!

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As far as ski length goes, there's a ski length guide in the Gearipedia section if you haven't seen it already...

I'm under 5'0 and I demoed a 137 last year that felt horribly squirrely! I couldn't wait to turn them back in for something else - so yes, I think maybe the 138 was too short for you...

You found the right place to come for advice - and most of it will be significantly more knowledgable than mine! :laugh:

At 155 lbs. with prior experience, I would think that a 154 would be a good length for you, not twin tips though, they run short and won't give you the edge control you need on hardpack.

I would focus on getting a good pair of boots that are well fit for you and not too stiff, and then try some different skis. Have fun!

OregonGirl

Diva in Training
Thank you both for your replies. I just checked out the Gearipedia and it says mid 150's to 160.

I spent a lot of time the last few weeks trying on boots and found a pair that I really liked. They worked out great yesterday and I was really pleased with them. I hadn't really planned on renting twin-tips yesterday. I figured that since I was so lacking in knowledge that I would just go with what he said and give it a shot. I think I should have gone with my instinct though and told him "no thanks." After I came home I looked up the skis on-line and noticed that they were Junior skis.

I know my last post was basically asking about length, but if anyone has any ideas on particular skis to look for when I go demo, I would appreciate hearing that too.

Thanks again :smile:

I am a Volkl fan and the Luna is a great intermediate ski with enough width to handle some off piste stuff. You could try the 151 but after a few days out and some lessons, you might prefer the 158. If you ski a lot and take lessons, you might wind up only skiing this ski for a season or two, but it's better than starting out with something too stiff at first.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna