• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gear Girls on mountain bikes in the southwest

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Gear Girls program in Flagstaff, AZ sounds like a great idea. It's a multi week program for girls in 4th-8th grades. Not only do they learn about mountain biking, they also do activities to help maintain the trails. Older girls get to mention younger girls. Gear Girls has been around since 2017.

May 21, 2021, Arizona Daily Sun
Gear Girls a 'unique' girls-only biking group in Flagstaff
https://azdailysun.com/sports/local...cle_3d507116-50d1-5279-bb7b-794434c02fa5.html

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm particularly impressed that they are able to make the programs available at no cost; kudos to the sponsors who made that possible.

I've heard good things about Little Bellas, but the weekly mtb program here is over $200, which can be prohibitive. I know a couple of families with girls that would have loved it, but they just couldn't swing the fee.

If you have a local MTB chapter, they probably have a kids/youth program, or at least rides. Usually they just ask that you be a member of the chapter. We have a well-attended Friday kids' ride, for example.

Emski528

Angel Diva
I mentor a group of 8-10 yo girl mtb riders as part of a new group in my city. Last season we had about ten girls. This year it has exploded. The leader worked with a local bike shop to sponsor and it’s now 80!!! kids. The major change…they’ve included boys. I would say the ratio is now about 80:20 boys:girls. We separate groups by gender mostly but the dynamic has changed for sure. I love the laid back, supportive nature of the mtb community but the boys definitely ride differently than the girls. I’m actually super jealous of the boy groups who seem to shred double the miles my girl group does every week. We do a ton of stopping and chatting and breaking for the bathroom. I’m trying to gently nudge the team a little further every week. I have a coleader who is a much less aggressive rider than I am so I’m trying not to look crazy. Anywho… all my rambling is just to say “hooray for MTB kids groups”. We charge $60 for the season (april-oct) and you get a shirt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly