• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gear Addiction - Support Group!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Is there like, a boat in there somewhere?
No boat. Possible presumption that one might otherwise have gone out and paid full retail elsewhere (which of COURSE would never happen :wink:). I think I predate @pinto in shopping there (if 2006?) - but my latest receipt said, "You have saved $18,152.00 over regular retail prices on all prior purchases." I *think* I've been shopping with them since before they even had a website (yikes), so quite awhile. Still...18 grand...:doh::eek:

Last edited:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I worked it out averaging 60% off over 9 years, and it means I spent only about $110 a month. Or something like that.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How often do you peruse the online shops (regardless if you actually need anything)? Do you usually end up buying something? Do you set specific price alerts?
I used to visit the flash sale sites like The Clymb and Steep And Cheap, but no more. Good deals, but (a) I have enough stuff and (b) I'd do better to not to spend the dough, and (c) I like the return policies of sites like Sierra Trading Post and Amazon better. In general, I will shop around, read reviews, and can wait for a sale. I still visit those sites, often, more so to get info than buy. I don't set price alerts.

- Do your shopping sprees happen in spurts? When are you most susceptible?
I've been feeling down lately, and that affects my spending habits.

- What are your current "fetishes"? Have you acted?
New fetish, at least it's somewhat productive. I bought a leather conditioner for a pair of boots, and proceeded to cream up a variety of other leather goods. I'm almost tempted to use it on my skin. I had a tiny thing for Outdoor Research products for a while.

Has your gear addiction gotten you in trouble (at work, with significant others, with the bank...)?
Er, yes, True Confessions time: I do feel guilty about spending the money.
I wanted to end my recent gear-buying binge last week, after I bought the rolling double-ski bag.... But low and behold the urge to buy new pants overcame me. My rationale was, I only have one pair of pants, as I just recently got back into snow sports. I should have at least two pairs, so I can rotate them, especially if I plan on skiing more next season. I bought my current pair of pants in a rush (lower end Burtons) - got the cheapest pair and didn't do any research. While they are good, I have noticed that they aren't very waterproof. My butt gets wet by then end of the day, especially in slushy conditions. Also, when I fall, I want to prevent snow from getting down my pants and getting snow burn from my skin touching the snow, since my base layers tend to ride up....Hence, my search for ski bib pants.

What I've just written is the very abridged version of the interior monologue that led me to dropping $300.00 on new pants yesterday. Way more than I wanted to spend, but they were 50% off! So how could I resist?

I am very proud of this purchase. I hope they fit! There should be a few more pair left on backcountry.com.

....This really has to be the end of my spending binge though....

Norrøna Lofoten Gore-Tex Pro Shell Pant

View attachment 4023
I wanted to end my recent gear-buying binge last week, after I bought the rolling double-ski bag.... But low and behold the urge to buy new pants overcame me. My rationale was, I only have one pair of pants, as I just recently got back into snow sports. I should have at least two pairs, so I can rotate them, especially if I plan on skiing more next season. I bought my current pair of pants in a rush (lower end Burtons) - got the cheapest pair and didn't do any research. While they are good, I have noticed that they aren't very waterproof. My butt gets wet by then end of the day, especially in slushy conditions. Also, when I fall, I want to prevent snow from getting down my pants and getting snow burn from my skin touching the snow, since my base layers tend to ride up....Hence, my search for ski bib pants.

What I've just written is the very abridged version of the interior monologue that led me to dropping $300.00 on new pants yesterday. Way more than I wanted to spend, but they were 50% off! So how could I resist?

I am very proud of this purchase. I hope they fit! There should be a few more pair left on backcountry.com.

....This really has to be the end of my spending binge though....

Norrøna Lofoten Gore-Tex Pro Shell Pant

View attachment 4023[/QUOTE
I'm jonesing for a stylish, functional pair of bibs!!!

kasuncion6

Certified Ski Diva
I am on the verge of adding yet another purchase to this binge....Is $275.00 too much for a new shell jacket?....If it's not love at first site, I can always return it....

I'll try to wait until I AFTER work before I make the decision...Maybe I'm just bored...

kasuncion6

Certified Ski Diva
drumroll please...

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/Products/5012-14/6725/lofoten-gore-tex-active-anorak-w/

5012141260.jpg

OK, here are the rationalizations and plusses/minuses for this purchase:

- I really like the looks of Norrona stuff. Life is short. Live like there's no tomorrow. And "treat yourself."
- I don't spend much money anywhere else in my life. In fact, I am a hardcore cheapskate in regular life.
- I only have one other "waterproof" shell. It's an OR jacket I got for really cheap on clymb. The cut is super weird and very slim at the waist, so it is not exactly awesome, since i can't layer much underneath. Whenever I do, I can't zip it up.
- MINUS - the pullover aspect is cool looking, but I can imagine it being a pain to take off the whole thing every time I want to cool off.....However, their unique zipper system seems to take care of the "cool down" desires.....
- If I don't love it, I can return it. However, based on my research of similar jackets, $275 is not a bad price at all...

I need help.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a good jacket (though the pullover is a bit weird). Since it's the same line as the pants they should zip together. I love my Norrona pants.

ETA: maybe they won't zip together, since the bib pants might not have that intermediate piece, unless the powderskirt on the jacket works for that piece. On the other hand, since you have the bib pants you probably won't want them to zip together.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
drumroll please...

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/Products/5012-14/6725/lofoten-gore-tex-active-anorak-w/

View attachment 4024

OK, here are the rationalizations and plusses/minuses for this purchase:

- I really like the looks of Norrona stuff. Life is short. Live like there's no tomorrow. And "treat yourself."
- I don't spend much money anywhere else in my life. In fact, I am a hardcore cheapskate in regular life.
- I only have one other "waterproof" shell. It's an OR jacket I got for really cheap on clymb. The cut is super weird and very slim at the waist, so it is not exactly awesome, since i can't layer much underneath. Whenever I do, I can't zip it up.
- MINUS - the pullover aspect is cool looking, but I can imagine it being a pain to take off the whole thing every time I want to cool off.....However, their unique zipper system seems to take care of the "cool down" desires.....
- If I don't love it, I can return it. However, based on my research of similar jackets, $275 is not a bad price at all...

I need help.

I'm not a fan of the pullover thing. I assume it means there are not a ton of inside pockets? (that's my one complaint about my current jacket - the interior pocket situation is pathetic)

It *looks* like it might have a really good neck zip. By good I mean, wearing all your layers, helmet, goggles, etc, when you zip it up, does it comfortably protect your face and nose? Not too tight to zip, and not too loose to block the wind?

Goretex for $275 sounds great to me, although I believe there are different types of Goretex, so I don't know how that plays in.

My number 1 advice - if there is anything about it you don't love, return it. Whatever the issue, it will bother you more in the future than it does now, and you will never recoup the money you spent on it when you try to sell it down the road.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Norrona is a great company. I have the jacket version of this anorak, which is Gore-Tex Pro vs Gore-Tex Active (Active is geared more toward breathability). I have had pullover shells before, and while they work fine, if it's something you plan using with a lot of layers, just make sure you try it all on first. With one or two thin layers, it's not too much trouble to pull over your head, but with bulky layers, I found it to be a real pain. Also make sure you like the pockets, this one has only one chest pocket plus the one on the sleeve. That works fine when your pants have enough pockets, too, but just something to be aware of.

I love my Norrona -- it's my second one -- so I'm not trying to dissuade you at all ... just a couple of things to think about when you get it.

I have learned that after buying a Burton pullover snowboard jacket that I am not a fan of a pullover jacket. I know others may like this style but I have learned it doesn't work for me. Its a great jacket warmth wise. I originally thought it would just be for warmer days but I've had it on in 10-15 degree days with a layer or two underneath and been just fine. Warmth wise its great but the pullover thing to me is a giant pain in the backside. Live and learn right. I am on the hunt for a regular jacket that has a proper zipper.

I just bought this neck thing for additional warmth around my neck area.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MXQI4O8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kasuncion6

Certified Ski Diva
My 2 cents on that Norona pullover: Color - gorgeous, Price - high, Style - limited usage. If you LOVE it, keep it.

Did you see this jacket on sale? Full zip, same color & brand.
https://www.backcountry.com/norrna-...cm9uYToxOjEwOm5vcnJvbmE&skid=NRA000F-CRAPK-XS

I realize I'm not helping.

Hmmm, for some reason I overlooked this fully zippable version. Honestly, I don't REALLY need a new jacket. If I don't like the pullover one, then I'll return and try this one out....

I got my bib pants yesterday. I love them! Although they are primarily black, the colorful zippers really "pop" ...Which brings me to a new concern --- I do not want to suddenly look like an overly colorful clown! My attire is usually very restrained and anonymous - sometimes all black, but my helmet is neon yellow....The pink jacket combined with the multi-color zippers will def make me look like Punky Brewster.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do not want to suddenly look like an overly colorful clown! My attire is usually very restrained and anonymous - sometimes all black, but my helmet is neon yellow....The pink jacket combined with the multi-color zippers will def make me look like Punky Brewster.

What's wrong with the Punky Brewster look? No one ever have trouble finding me on the mountains. Bright orange helmet with bright green jacket and bright blue pants. It's fun =)

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I shop seasonally. Camping stuff in the summer and skiing stuff in the winter. I probably shouldn't share this, but since I have a decent handle on my spending, I use online browsing/shopping/dreaming as a way to distract my mind when I'm feeling anxious. If I really feel the urge to make a purchase, I try to stick to good socks and base layers. You can never have enough base layers.

I wouldn't call it an addiction, since it doesn't cause me any problems, but it's something I have to keep a close eye on, lest it get out of hand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly