• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No pretties to show but I finally found where my husband hides the hedge trimmer. Now the hedges (orange blossom) are the height *I* want them to be. Kumquats also got a really good haircut and I lack the blisters I normally get doing it by hand.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No pretties to show but I finally found where my husband hides the hedge trimmer. Now the hedges (orange blossom) are the height *I* want them to be. Kumquats also got a really good haircut and I lack the blisters I normally get doing it by hand.
Need pictures right now!!!

It's fun to look at all that happy green now that we finally have snow here in the northern hemisphere.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Southern hemisphere ladies, how's the season going?!
For me, this is my least productive time of year - it's simply too hot and wet for things to grow well apart from Asian vegetables like snake beans - the soil is now to warm for bulbs and the fruit flies get pretty much everything else. I've got peanuts in the veggie beds to refresh the soil - they love this weather. I should start seeing flowers set on the citrus fruit soon; we are having a bad year for lemons but my kumquats are spectacularly fecund. There's a decent amount of flowers on the pomegranate too.
'm making room in the garden for some coffee plants this year. My natives are doing well to - the lemon myrtle is going burko, the rosella plants are getting large but have yet to set fruit. We just got rid of an old diseased mango tree - it was still fruiting but it was dropping limbs and becoming dangerous. Good thing is we aren't woken by fruit bats squabbling any more.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Need pictures right now!!!

It's fun to look at all that happy green now that we finally have snow here in the northern hemisphere.
1642114569828.png
This is my fruit tree area; the small bushy ones (deceptive, they're about 7 feet tall) are the kumquats, the lemon is to the right and the pomegranate behind it. I have curry tree, rosemary and pandan palms also for a bit of herbage - pandan is known as Asian vanilla, you tear off a leaf and throw it in whatever you're cooking.
1642114715682.png
This is lemon myrtle, it's got a citronella sort of flavour, a native tree that you use as flavouring but it's a bit strong to use widely. There's also various gingers growing around the corner in the rocky bits - they seem to like poor soil
1642114946791.png
Here are the peanuts. I literally buy a bag of raw ones from the store, stick them in the ground and they grow.

shadoj

Angel Diva
I have curry tree, rosemary and pandan palms also for a bit of herbage
I assume the curry tree is fragrant? I do love some pandan rice; that would be so neat to harvest fresh leaves, along with my own citrus, pomegranates, year-round rosemary, and coffee! I'm envious of your native stingless bees, too!

shadoj

Angel Diva
DSC04997.JPG

Not super-exciting, but the snow in the front pocket prairie was pristine amongst the native plants yesterday. ~4F so only snapped a couple shots while shoveling, so I could get a couple hours of ski time in as a reward ;)

Front is sideoats grama, the funny eyebrow seedheads are blue grama, the top right reddish stems are little bluestem, right center is a broken late figwort seedhead, and the left blackish stems are sweet everlasting (an annual/biennial which smells like maple-balsam)!

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I assume the curry tree is fragrant? I do love some pandan rice; that would be so neat to harvest fresh leaves, along with my own citrus, pomegranates, year-round rosemary, and coffee! I'm envious of your native stingless bees, too!
I have a friend who has hives, she has to tell people not to swat the flies in her garden as they're actually native bees. Those things LOVE glue! A few years back I was working on a mine and a contractor turned up who had native bees nesting inside his equipment trailer - he's rock up to a site, open the canopy and they'd fly out, do their bee thing and come back at night. Anyway, they zoomed in on the dealer stickers I had on my ute, and the call-signs stuck on down the side, and in two days they ate their way through the adhesive and my stickers all fell off.

The curry tree is suffering a bit as I got it through my head it would love some coffee grounds, turns out they're toxic to trees and the majority of the leaves have fallen off. You have to fry the fresh leaves to extract the flavour. The curry bush (different plant) is very fragrant, particularly after rain, but I haven't found out whether it's actually edible or just ornamental; apparently there are several plants known as curry bush - some of which are toxic.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Spring can't be here already! Well, it's not here - will still be a few weeks before the early bloomers show.

I planted some bulbs last fall that I'm really looking forward to seeing. Hope they made it.
Bulbs are on my list for next year. I think I planted 4 bulbs about 10 years ago. They're still coming up (how can that be?), but the deer get them every year (tulips).

Jenny

Angel Diva
Bulbs are on my list for next year. I think I planted 4 bulbs about 10 years ago. They're still coming up (how can that be?), but the deer get them every year (tulips).
I've had daffodils - chose them both because I like them and they're poisonous to rodents. Tulips aren't, so I didn't want to deal with having the bulbs dug up and eaten all of the time.

Just checked and the new ones (Glory of the Snow) are poisonous to rodents, too - yay! I got them because they can grow under a walnut tree along with the daffodils - didn't realize they were vermin-proof as well.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
My poor rose garden has been extremely neglected since December. I couldn't cut them back and I haven't even been pruning them. In fact I haven't actually gone into the back garden until today.

I should have taken "before" and "after" pictures of all my bushes. But this will give you the idea.

IMG_20220323_160705490.jpg

Obviously that's the "before".

And here's the "after".

IMG_20220323_160505411.jpg

IMG_20220323_160844903.jpg

Those top two will hopefully be pruned tomorrow.

I still haven't decided about a veggie garden this year. It will only be the second time in many years that I don't have one. But right now it just seems too difficult.

newboots

Angel Diva
I still haven't decided about a veggie garden this year. It will only be the second time in many years that I don't have one. But right now it just seems too difficult.

Oh, maybe just put in a few herbs - I'm always so happy at how much they add to every dish and how easy they are to grow! Saves a fortune in $$$ and makes such a huge difference.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Oh, maybe just put in a few herbs - I'm always so happy at how much they add to every dish and how easy they are to grow! Saves a fortune in $$$ and makes such a huge difference.

My big crop is tomatoes. I'm a real tomato snob. However, there are 3 different local farmer's markets where I can buy decent tomatoes if I decide not to grow them.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Tomatoes are my main motivation. I usually grow 8 standard size ones for my tomato sanwiches as well as 3 cherry/grape size that usually go straight into my mouth. In between I grow bell pepper, zucchini yellow squash and cucumbers, green beans, asparagus beans, pea pods, lettuce, spinach and a few herbs.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I tried cutting down on my plants this year. I really did. I'm just really horrible at picking which seedlings get to live and which ones have to die. And I had a near 100% germination rate this year. Needless to say, I'm already trying to give seedlings away and find room for more plants out there.

I'm happy to report peppers and broccoli don't need as much room as I thought. :smile:

Christy

Angel Diva
I'm happy to report peppers and broccoli don't need as much room as I thought. :smile:
I hope that is my experience with the 2 savoy cabbage starts I planted. I may be seriously delusional to think I have room for cabbage, but since I've never grown it I don't really know how much room it takes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly