• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
So pretty!! Do you need to dig up these bulbs to store over the winter?
Yes! I am so clueless about gardening that when I picked them out this spring I didn’t even know that was possible, but a talented gardener friend of mine told me I could do that in order to grow them next year. They are not hardy in Vermont, that’s for sure!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
View attachment 16431
I’m proud I grew these dahlias! I’ve only just started adding landscaping to the house this season; I let last summer go by without trying to grow anything in order to see what already existed on the property.

Turns out that there were just some hydrangea bushes, roses in need of rescue and a rhododendron… as well as an abundance of wildflowers and wild blackberry bushes.

These flowers were some of my first I’ve successfully grown from tuber stage; hoping I can store them properly over the winter and grow more next year!
Those are stunning!! I love dahlias so much. I was thinking of buying some dahlia tubers this spring and growing some in pots, you've just strengthened my resolve to do that :smile:

Christy

Angel Diva
@ilovepugs Dahlias are the best. (Are these the farmer's market staple everywhere that they are here? I closely associate them with the Hmong flower growers that sell at the Pike Place Market and other markets).

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Those are stunning!! I love dahlias so much. I was thinking of buying some dahlia tubers this spring and growing some in pots, you've just strengthened my resolve to do that :smile:
Yeah!! Not sure what varieties you can get over there, but these are the Thomas Edison dinner plate dahlias. They aren’t quite the size of dinner plates but I’m still pleased with how they turned out.

@ilovepugs Dahlias are the best. (Are these the farmer's market staple everywhere that they are here? I closely associate them with the Hmong flower growers that sell at the Pike Place Market and other markets).
I honestly don’t know!! I can’t recall the last time I bought flowers at a farmer’s market. I usually pick them up from a nearby farm stand that carries the most beautiful flowers from Rock Meadow Farm (they are on Instagram — so pretty!!)

altagirl

Staff member
I'm still plugging away at tearing out the grass and "localscaping" the parkstrip. In my mind I'm going to finish this and do a whole other chunk of the front yard this year. We will see I guess! At least I'm past the 2/3s markIMG_20210907_093148932~2(1).jpg with the parkstrip.

altagirl

Staff member
Yes! I am so clueless about gardening that when I picked them out this spring I didn’t even know that was possible, but a talented gardener friend of mine told me I could do that in order to grow them next year. They are not hardy in Vermont, that’s for sure!
At least you've got the water in Vermont. :smile: I don't think they'd like anything here. I was just looking up the growing requirements and they're definitely nonsensical in Utah since they need to be kept moist once they start growing. There do appear to be people on our Utah gardening forum who grow them successfully but they say they need to be watered religiously every day here. Oh well - they're on the list if we ever move somewhere else with more moisture! At least we do have lovely drought tolerant plants to play with. I think I bought the rainbow of Agastache (hummingbird mint) - which can go several weeks without any water once established.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bump
Orchid Time - despite heavy rain falls and winds, my orchids decided to bloom, I leave most to bloom outside because they last so long. I cut these b/c they were not visible from the front.... waiting for the pinks
20220101_134013.jpg

Jenny

Angel Diva
How pretty! Aren’t you north east? I’d have thought it was way too cold for orchids to be outside there - based on absolutely no information about orchids, I mean. Somehow I had the idea they were more tropical than they must really be.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
California- where apparently they thrive outside. DH rescued these from being thrown out not knowing what they were. I don’t do much to them other than watering and "feeding" them occasionally with the left over water from my tiny fish tank water change.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Eep! I just got a $60 off coupon from a local, small native plant grower because I lost a couple puccoons last year, plus had driven all the way down to the nursery for some geeky plant chatting... was already planning to order again, but I guess I kinda "have to" now! What is everyone else eyeing for this year's gardens? Southern hemisphere ladies, how's the season going?!

newboots

Angel Diva
I never heard of puccoons but they sure look lovely in the pictures. Are those wild delphiniums native to your area? They are gorgeous and could go well with yellow puccoons, if you can get the latter and keep them going.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Southern hemisphere ladies, how's the season going?!
Hello, yes, here I am! :smile:

You'll have to excuse my poor quality photos and overgrown lawn, but summer is well under way and my garden is growing well! It's all in pots because I'm a renter but nevertheless...

1642051193184.png

1642051208725.png

These are some of the cherry tomato plants. Most of them have a bunch of stubbornly green tomatoes, but one of them has been ripening one or two tiny tomatoes every day for me :smile:

1642051258561.png

1642051269835.png

^ Snow peas - looks like it's starting to flower too... also, clearly the trellis I made for these plants was not big enough!!

1642051313558.png

Dahlia bulbs have survived the winter in the ground and have been flowering!

1642051351787.png

Birds eye chilli. They grow INCREDIBLY slowly!!! No signs of flowering, but hopefully I might get some fruit off it by the end of the season...

I sowed a lot of seeds at the start of this season and it's all going really nicely, very rewarding :smile:

shadoj

Angel Diva
I never heard of puccoons but they sure look lovely in the pictures. Are those wild delphiniums native to your area? They are gorgeous and could go well with yellow puccoons, if you can get the latter and keep them going.
I'm not sure which on which Delphinium sp. you're referencing, but prairie larkspur (D. carolinianum) is a native prairie species here. 1-3', often whitish to pale blue-purple rather than the deep blue of other Delphiniums. I have one that shows up intermittently but hardly ever flowers in the front garden.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Hello, yes, here I am! :smile:

You'll have to excuse my poor quality photos and overgrown lawn, but summer is well under way and my garden is growing well! It's all in pots because I'm a renter but nevertheless...

View attachment 17446

View attachment 17447

These are some of the cherry tomato plants. Most of them have a bunch of stubbornly green tomatoes, but one of them has been ripening one or two tiny tomatoes every day for me :smile:

View attachment 17448

View attachment 17449

^ Snow peas - looks like it's starting to flower too... also, clearly the trellis I made for these plants was not big enough!!

View attachment 17450

Dahlia bulbs have survived the winter in the ground and have been flowering!

View attachment 17451

Birds eye chilli. They grow INCREDIBLY slowly!!! No signs of flowering, but hopefully I might get some fruit off it by the end of the season...

I sowed a lot of seeds at the start of this season and it's all going really nicely, very rewarding :smile:
Everything looks so luscious and tasty! It's so weird being a half season off, though both N & S hemispheres get to simultaneously lament the summer-winter & winter-summer transitions for similar, but offset, reasons! Glad we're moving into peak :smile:

newboots

Angel Diva
I'm not sure which on which Delphinium sp. you're referencing, but prairie larkspur (D. carolinianum) is a native prairie species here. 1-3', often whitish to pale blue-purple rather than the deep blue of other Delphiniums. I have one that shows up intermittently but hardly ever flowers in the front garden.
I know there are several in different regions. Glad you have one native to you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly