• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

newboots

Angel Diva
Christy, am I having deja vu or did this happen last year? Too bad!

marzNC

Angel Diva
While I still lost a few flowers to nibbling deer in one section of the yard, the plants I've sprayed with the homemade recipe are looking quite nice. These are three of the specimen plants I bought several years ago when a local day lily nursery decided to shut down because the owner was getting pretty old.

Day lillies Jun 2021 - 1.jpegDay lillies Jun 2021 - 2.jpegDay lillies Jun 2021 - 3.jpeg

geargrrl

Angel Diva
My peas are a total failure. Fungus in the soil, I think? It sucks as English/shelling peas are my absolute favorite, and most farmers don't grow them--I rarely see them at farmer's markets (and the ones in groceries are terrible--you have to eat them super fresh as the sugars turn to starch). I guess I have to figure this out for next year.
I joined a FB group for local gardeners and it's been an immense help for issues that arise due to our soil and climate. Maybe there's one where you live?

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had a long hard slog with a bunch of cacti seeds that I germinated over a year ago, and it appears that out of 20+ germinated seedlings, I have one live cactus. I think my mistake was germinating them at the end of summer last year. It started to get cold early in autumn and they stopped growing while they were still extremely tiny (1-2mm tall). Most of them never really seemed to get started again when spring/summer rolled around, I dropped down to 3 live ones.

Sadly when I went to transfer them out of the seedling container the other day, I discovered that of those three live cacti, two had silently died :( I discovered no roots and a very tiny hollowed out shell when I lifted them out.

With all that said, here is my single live cactus seedling, germinated ~feb-mar 2020. :smile: It has a healthy root system and more spines than flesh!

View attachment 15981

View attachment 15982

My thumb for scale :smile:
Sad update - it seems to have succumbed to some sort of fungus or rot :( if this is the end for it, it lived to around 15-16 months!

It's ok, I have new cactus seeds to start over with, hopefully more successful this time! I'm experimenting with using a heating mat and germinating them during winter so they'll have the entire spring/summer to grow, and hopefully be a bit more hardy before next winter.

Christy

Angel Diva
I have always wanted a water feature with a little waterfall. In our small city yard that's a tall order. But one of my pandemic projects was to figure out what I wanted, where I could fit it, who could do it, etc. Et Voila! My own little waterfall.

Attachments

• 20210719_120742-01.jpeg
    20210719_120742-01.jpeg
    663.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
I love it! It must sound wonderful, too!

Ditto from Jenny for the characters beside the water!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Does anyone have experience growing Ichiban type eggplants? I'm growing one in a pot this year, it was Chris' choice to add to my tomatoes. I have no idea when to pick them though. I've read to pick them when young so the plant doesn't slow production, and that they grow to around 10 inches but should be picked between 3 and 6 inches. Another I watched on Youtube said 6-8 inches.. Which is accurate? I'm just like hmmmm with only one to that size so far what the heck can I do with it? lol There is another that isn't too far behind, so maybe it can catch up in a few days after I pick the first. Any thoughts or experience?

Here's today's picture for reference (not sure why it turned sideways!). I should have taken a picture of the whole plant, they are really pretty.
ACE81E93-7878-4B59-B7E5-3FEBD1CE06C5.jpeg

Also, I'm trying to grow ghost peppers for the first time and while I keep getting a bunch of flowers they don't seem to be setting peppers.. I'm not sure if it just isn't hot enough for them, or if they aren't getting pollinated somehow. Anyone had luck with them before? The only peppers I've grown in the past were bell peppers and banana peppers, those were both easy and produced a ton.

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
I joined a FB group for local gardeners and it's been an immense help for issues that arise due to our soil and climate. Maybe there's one where you live?

I joined "Seattle Organic and Small Biz Gardeners" (meaning, focus on small independent stores and nurseries) and have learned a ton already! And I do find comfort in knowing how many other people's tomatoes are getting early blight.

newboots

Angel Diva
@MissySki Why don't you let this one keep growing until the next one reaches a size toward the smaller end. If you have two, maybe you can try a tiny new dish!

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki Why don't you let this one keep growing until the next one reaches a size toward the smaller end. If you have two, maybe you can try a tiny new dish!

I’m just worried about it going to seed and slowing the rest of the plant’s production. I think I will let it go a bit longer though, and hope I have enough to make something. :becky:

newboots

Angel Diva
I’m just worried about it going to seed and slowing the rest of the plant’s production. I think I will let it go a bit longer though, and hope I have enough to make something. :becky:
That's a good point. It's good to harvest early to encourage a larger harvest overall. Smart!

altagirl

Staff member
I have roughly a thousand heirloom variety cherry tomato blossoms but for weeks am still getting maybe 4 ripe ones a day. I hope I get a bunch of tomatoes at some point.... I do like snacking on them but it would be fun to have enough to make a salad or gift some to friends.

And I put the one zucchini plant that sprouted from seed in a big pot and just picked my second zucchini. So that's kind of exciting.

And I've been busy lately ripping out all the grass in our park strip to do some xeriscaping.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I harvested the first eggplant Friday and the second yesterday. Planning to cook them up tonight. There are a bunch more of tiny nubs sprouting out now, love this plant!

Also, I finally have some itty bitty ghost peppers coming from new flowers. So excited, I was starting to think those were going to be a lost cause.

Christy

Angel Diva
I have roughly a thousand heirloom variety cherry tomato blossoms but for weeks am still getting maybe 4 ripe ones a day.
Would you expect more by now? You are a very different climate of course but here in western WA this is about the earliest you can expect to get anything.

altagirl

Staff member
Would you expect more by now? You are a very different climate of course but here in western WA this is about the earliest you can expect to get anything.
I guess since I've been getting ripe tomatoes for about a month I was hoping for more of them to be getting ripe now? Maybe I am just being impatient. Last year my seeds arrived months after ordering so I only got a couple tomatoes before the first frost. So my memory of what I usually get is all over the place.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly