• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

Jenny

Angel Diva
Here's a question - if a plant needs four hours of sunlight a day, does it have to come all at once or can it come in, say, two hour chunks?

newboots

Angel Diva
Here's a question - if a plant needs four hours of sunlight a day, does it have to come all at once or can it come in, say, two hour chunks?

That’s a good question! My vote is it can come in parts. The hours of sun are generalizations from how these plants have done outside. Some days it’s cloudy. Trees provide either shade or dappled sun. Life goes on. They need a certain amount but if they get less, they might not grow as big or might be reluctant but to flower.

I am completely happy if someone who knows more contradicts me, as this is just based on my experience, not anything scientific!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I was told this particular one (bush clematis) really does need its sun. Once I came home and started monitoring a couple of places that I think I can put it I realized that there was a shady period in the middle of a couple sunny periods. It's really pretty, so if I have to move a couple of other things to free up a longer sunny period, I will.

C323F74A-0CA9-4001-995D-BBDF427F4CEF.jpeg

newboots

Angel Diva
Ooh! I've never seen a bush clematis! I know the vining ones need warm sunshine on top and want shade for their roots. Picky. Best of luck!

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
WOW, liquidfeet you provide lots of inspiration! Your landscaping is beautiful!! (Am I jealous perhaps??) I had a new well dug yesterday. Now I am looking at mud all over the front and side lawns. Does anyone have suggestions for disguising the new PVC pipe sticking up in the middle of my lawn? I am in DC metro area and have a very sunny front lawn.
Maybe a wishing well or a birdbath?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Also, how do I find the deer treatment that SkiBam had posted earlier? Thanks!!
Here's the recipe. Can keep in the frig. I use a quart sprayer bottle.

1 gal. water/plastic jug
Plastic spray bottle
1 egg
1/2 c. milk
1 T. cooking oil
1 T. dish soap

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My kumquats are ripe so 3kg of marmalade in the making right now. There will be more through the season as my kumquats are spectacularly fecund.

I have a thing that any plant I put in has to have some use - edible or medicinal. Having grown up in a temperate climate and moved to the tropics there's stuff that doesn't translate from one to the other, but man, I'm loving my citrus and ginger right now.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was told this particular one (bush clematis) really does need its sun. Once I came home and started monitoring a couple of places that I think I can put it I realized that there was a shady period in the middle of a couple sunny periods. It's really pretty, so if I have to move a couple of other things to free up a longer sunny period, I will.

View attachment 16031
Nice! I want one too.

Jenny

Angel Diva
This seems like it has fragile potential, too. I've never had a clematis vine, so I don’t know how what they’re like, but despite The picture, this does say that it needs support, either from nearby plants or staking. I'm planning on just putting a peony hoop around it.

We'll see. I hope it works out.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Liquidfeet, lovely!
-Did you design it yourself?
-Do you maintain it yourself?
-Are you on drip or sprinklers?
-What part of the country and or USDA zone are you? Thanks!!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@geargrrl, thanks.
-Did you design it yourself?
Yes, bit by bit, over the last 17 years.
-Do you maintain it yourself?
Yep, just me. I need help with the raking and may hire someone this fall.
-Are you on drip or sprinklers?
Hoses which I drag around. For grass, I use the timer on my watch.
-What part of the country and or USDA zone are you?
Zone 6, but I think of it as zone 5.5, Boston area.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Thank you, just curious. :smile: I suppose I will have to search the thread to see if I have posted photos of my perennial beds and husband-built rock work.

newboots

Angel Diva
Thank you, just curious. :smile: I suppose I will have to search the thread to see if I have posted photos of my perennial beds and husband-built rock work.

Aww, just post them! We will enjoy them all over again.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Pretty sure you have, @geargrrl, but maybe when you were doing a refresh and rejuvenate, so updated pics would be new.

On the clematis front - it's planted. Now we wait, and see what happens. I planted deep, piled up the mulch, and it's in spot with 5-6 hours of sunlight, as near as I can calculate by taking pictures randomly throughout the day. Also installed the peony hoop, in anticipation of much robust growth and many flowers (fingers crossed).

Christy

Angel Diva
My peas are a total failure. Fungus in the soil, I think? It sucks as English/shelling peas are my absolute favorite, and most farmers don't grow them--I rarely see them at farmer's markets (and the ones in groceries are terrible--you have to eat them super fresh as the sugars turn to starch). I guess I have to figure this out for next year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly