• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had a long hard slog with a bunch of cacti seeds that I germinated over a year ago, and it appears that out of 20+ germinated seedlings, I have one live cactus. I think my mistake was germinating them at the end of summer last year. It started to get cold early in autumn and they stopped growing while they were still extremely tiny (1-2mm tall). Most of them never really seemed to get started again when spring/summer rolled around, I dropped down to 3 live ones.

Sadly when I went to transfer them out of the seedling container the other day, I discovered that of those three live cacti, two had silently died :( I discovered no roots and a very tiny hollowed out shell when I lifted them out.

With all that said, here is my single live cactus seedling, germinated ~feb-mar 2020. :smile: It has a healthy root system and more spines than flesh!

1622592701793.png

1622592733506.png

My thumb for scale :smile:

Jenny

Angel Diva
At least it's adorable!

Kind of reminds me of the year my sister tried to have a garden, when her kids were toddlers. The corn only got as big as the little baby corns, and the pumpkins were slightly larger than fist sized.

newboots

Angel Diva
That sure is a cutie!

It never occurred to me to raise cacti from seed! If you had asked me how they propagate, I would have had vague ideas about magic.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love this particular rhododendron. It's very reliable, blooming enthusiastically every May.2C434063-D05D-4372-BCAA-B1C8A1BAFD58.jpg
This blue hosta is a one-of-a-kind. Its mother to the right mated with a different kind of hosta to produce this unexpected hybrid.
IMG_2135.JPG
This huge yellow hosta is one of my favorites.
IMG_2140.JPG

newboots

Angel Diva
I love and admire it all, but I see why you love that pink Rhododendron! So fluffy and such a pretty color!

Have you tried collecting the seed head from the globe alliums? My friend says hers keep reproducing in her garden, but your seeds are probably shaded from all those daylilies. Mine don’t appear to have self-seeded, but seem to be growing in ever-larger clusters. Mine have a lot of room to spread.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you tried collecting the seed head from the globe alliums? My friend says hers keep reproducing in her garden, but your seeds are probably shaded from all those daylilies. Mine don’t appear to have self-seeded, but seem to be growing in ever-larger clusters. Mine have a lot of room to spread.
I'll go look to see if there are seeds forming. The blooms are done now.
17 years ago when I moved here there were three alliums. Now there are 7. So they have multiplied, averaging 1 new plant every four years. Don't know if they multiplied underground or from seeds. They are all close together; maybe that's an indication that the bulbs increased below ground.

seastraight

Certified Ski Diva
WOW, liquidfeet you provide lots of inspiration! Your landscaping is beautiful!! (Am I jealous perhaps??) I had a new well dug yesterday. Now I am looking at mud all over the front and side lawns. Does anyone have suggestions for disguising the new PVC pipe sticking up in the middle of my lawn? I am in DC metro area and have a very sunny front lawn. Also, how do I find the deer treatment that SkiBam had posted earlier? Thanks!!

Christy

Angel Diva
Peonies! I love how prolific they are, and that I can give bouquets to neighbors. A few people around the neighborhood cut stems then have a "take one" bucket for anyone walking by.

20210604_100212-01.jpeg20210604_100312-01.jpeg
I put a stem in a bud car and it kept opening and opening until it was bigger than the vase.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly