• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh, that sounds fun. There is a beautiful five acre nursery in Seattle that I am at least three other professional women I know daydream of working at. I've worked retail and know that it's not all unicorns and rainbows, but often I think how nice it would be just to water plants, talk about plants, etc in this beautiful oasis in the city.

I worked in a ski shop briefly, so I’ve had some exposure to the less wonderful side of retail. I have learned I’m going to get a lot of exercise on this job. Walking 8-12 miles a day!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m back in Vermont for a few days and checked out my old garden. All the garlic I planted is up and thriving. Many of my perennials are big enough to divide, and I was cooking with thyme and sage yesterday!

Sadly, I will soon be gardening at my daughter’s house and have no garden of my own. This is going to be hard because I’ll be working weekends at a garden center!
What will your work at the garden center be? I've done shrubs and trees for a few summers. Love that outdoor work!

newboots

Angel Diva
Due to the problems with my wrist (left hand, TFCC tear, improving with OT) and my thumb (right hand, arthritis acting up due to compensating for the left hand!), I am to start in vegetables. There are no heavy potted vegetables, and I’ll be moving flats with a cart.

The manager wanted me in vegetables anyway: it’s short term so if it’s hard on my body I can quit after mid-June, and I know the answers to likely questions from the many Covid amateur gardeners they expect again this year. Example: which kind of tomatoes tastes the best? [The center grows 50 varieties!]

shadoj

Angel Diva
@newboots - How fun! I hope your body holds up, so you can continue to be surrounded by plants all summer. Was it busy last year due to COVID cabin fever? Do you expect another crazy rush of newbie gardeners? I work seasonal garden retail, too, but the nursery focus is native plants: shrubs, trees, flowers, grasses, ferns... it's a blast, but definitely hard on the body. I put in a lot of miles on my feet! Oof, time to find the next round of work boots already, and then buy 2+ pairs.

@liquidfeet - Tell me more about your shrub & tree adventures! Are you working a garden-related job again this summer?

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh! @shadoj ! Native plants, how wonderful!
I've never worked there before. Just moved here. But I feel at home in a garden center. Very much!

shadoj

Angel Diva
Oh! @shadoj ! Native plants, how wonderful!
I've never worked there before. Just moved here. But I feel at home in a garden center. Very much!

Whoops, just assumed you'd done that before given your extensive tomato knowledge! Be prepared for the same questions, over and over and over... plus, the rare intriguing one which will take you down the research rabbit hole. I work at a small, family-run company; some days end up being very heavy in returning communications/running checkout/updating signage/inventory/restocking/battling computers... all while the weeds keep appearing. We've only been open one week this spring, and I still don't have our retail area fully stocked with trees & shrubs... they have this tendency to disappear with customers before I can even get the next species set up! I do think that working retail has kept me sane during COVID isolation, though; I get to meet & talk to real people outdoors, doing cool projects with their plants. 2nd shot is tomorrow, woohoo! Just in time for the shopping rush.

So... what *are* the tastiest tomato varieties you're stocking? Always like new recommendations for cherries, saucers, and slicers. Are you able to do any container gardening at your daughter's?

newboots

Angel Diva
My daughter has a garden that I’ll be planting and tending.

I couldn’t say about the tomatoes! I haven’t started there yet. I have a lot to learn. I’m a gardener, though, and I knew the answer to her entry-level question: “what’s the difference between an annual and a perennial?” She says 70% of applicants can’t answer correctly! She does hire plenty for heavy lifting, to be fair.

Christy

Angel Diva
Not my garden, but some family members and I visited the Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden in Federal Way WA today.

IMG_20210421_163726.jpg

The shop has quite a big selection and it's so hard to pick. I ended up taking photos of a bunch of different varieties, then I'll do more research and drive back to get one or two.

20210421_123618.jpg

There is an adjacent bonsai museum. This is a coast redwood. The gardener who created this had two saplings; he planted one of the ground and it is currently an 80' redwood. This is the other.

20210421_125210-01.jpeg

Many of the trees are quite old (one is from 1800), and many were created by Japanese Americans who were interned during WWII. They had to find trusted friends to care for the trees while they were at places like Camp Amache or Minidoka.

FB_IMG_1619053507768.jpg

Attachments

• 20210421_123618.jpg
    20210421_123618.jpg
    770.2 KB · Views: 1

Christy

Angel Diva
Aww man. What is happening to my peas? And it is only happening to the green arrow variety, which are supposedly resistant to all the diseases they could get. The heirloom pea starts look fine!

20210424_142227.jpg

newboots

Angel Diva
Aww man. What is happening to my peas? And it is only happening to the green arrow variety, which are supposedly resistant to all the diseases they could get. The heirloom pea starts look fine!

View attachment 15716

I don't know. Is the wilting creeping up the vines, or has it stopped where it is?

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I got my peas in yesterday. Lettuce and spinach has germinated. We are planning a huge new garden, to be located where our barn (which burned last summer) used to be. I have a greenhouse on the way and a smaller barn is in the plans. Thank God for insurance!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly