• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

shadoj

Angel Diva
Do you make salsa verde? I grew tomatillos for the first time this year, and made salsa verde for the first time, too! I like a recipe I found at loveandlemons, but am still looking for the best recipe!
I have in the past, but I have forgotten which recipe. I'll have to dig through my books; let me know if you find a good one online. Should have some banana peppers tready to harvest soon, maybe poblanos; will have to search for other hot green chiles since I didn't do much veggie gardening this year.

altagirl

Staff member
Nice! Those edge stones are lovely, and I like the path to walk through the new garden. Will be fun to see it fill in and which pollinators visit this/next season.

I'll try to post some photos of my autumn garden soon. Just got back from camping and so busy at the nursery! Still plenty of time to plant trees/shrubs/perennials... or so I keep telling myself. Have a few containers in the front yard that I haven't found a spot for, yet. They're all sitting in a ring of hardware cloth because the squirrels are insane right now.

I harvested my first 2 tomatillos today! Not bad for a neglected pot of 2 :smile:
So far mostly loads of honeybees, but, LOL, there was a hummingbird on the butterfly bush at the garden center, so I went with the one that the hummingbird picked.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
So far mostly loads of honeybees, but, LOL, there was a hummingbird on the butterfly bush at the garden center, so I went with the one that the hummingbird picked.
Our hummingbirds all left 2 days ago :frown: -- I miss them already. It's amazing how they all leave on the same day (all except two -- they leave a couple of days later, every yr, and arrive about a week earlier). In the summer I have about 20-30 of them at the feeders on my porch, so when they leave, it's very noticeable.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our hummingbirds all left 2 days ago :frown: -- I miss them already. It's amazing how they all leave on the same day (all except two -- they leave a couple of days later, every yr, and arrive about a week earlier). In the summer I have about 20-30 of them at the feeders on my porch, so when they leave, it's very noticeable.
This is amazing. You recognize the individuals. Have you named them?

altagirl

Staff member
Yeah, I only get maybe 6 or 7 max and have been down to one or two juveniles for the past few weeks. And none yesterday, but I will keep the feeder up. Someone just a few miles from here had an Anna's hummingbird in their yard all winter last year, so you never know!

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva

Wow, that’s amazing to have so many! We get around 4-5 individuals usually at our feeders in MA, and I miss them so much when they go for the winter. I put up 3 feeders in different locations in my yard, and they still fight over them constantly, which I find so funny since there’s so many more elsewhere that have to share! :smile:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
This is amazing. You recognize the individuals. Have you named them?
Not really -- I can't tell them apart, but since the behavior of two individuals has remained consistent for several years, I'm assuming they're the same ones -- perhaps they migrate to a different area than the others? I call them the Scouts, since I watch for them each Spring checking out my porch, and when I see them zoom by, I put out my feeders. They get them to themselves for about a wk, before all the others start arriving, and the fighting begins, lol.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Yeah, I only get maybe 6 or 7 max and have been down to one or two juveniles for the past few weeks. And none yesterday, but I will keep the feeder up. Someone just a few miles from here had an Anna's hummingbird in their yard all winter last year, so you never know!
Yes, I usually keep my feeders up until November, just in case some stragglers need food. Now I'll also start getting small native bees on/in the feeders until I take them down.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Wow, that’s amazing to have so many! We get around 4-5 individuals usually at our feeders in MA, and I miss them so much when they go for the winter. I put up 3 feeders in different locations in my yard, and they still fight over them constantly, which I find so funny since there’s so many more elsewhere that have to share! :smile:
I know, they're hilarious. I put up two or three feeders on my front porch, and there are always a few individuals who decide to guard them, and prevent anyone else from landing. I often wonder if they ever get to eat, since they're so busy trying to prevent everyone else from eating! But another interesting thing is that in the evening, before dusk, they all declare a truce, and they all sit side by side at every feeder spot eating as much as they can before the long night's fast. When one finishes, another takes their place, and they eat until dark.

My neighbors "accuse" me of stealing all the neighborhood hummers, lol. I always have a cloud of them buzzing around my porch - it sounds like a huge beehive. Now it's quiet, except for the sounds of all the other critters and birds at the other feeders.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I know, they're hilarious. I put up two or three feeders on my front porch, and there are always a few individuals who decide to guard them, and prevent anyone else from landing. I often wonder if they ever get to eat, since they're so busy trying to prevent everyone else from eating! But another interesting thing is that in the evening, before dusk, they all declare a truce, and they all sit side by side at every feeder spot eating as much as they can before the long night's fast. When one finishes, another takes their place, and they eat until dark.

My neighbors "accuse" me of stealing all the neighborhood hummers, lol. I always have a cloud of them buzzing around my porch - it sounds like a huge beehive. Now it's quiet, except for the sounds of all the other critters and birds at the other feeders.

That is so awesome! The ones I have never seem to have a truce haha. We can often hear them chattering at each other and giving chase when out in the yard, way up high even when you can't see them. I really love when they are around, and wish they could stay longer. I'm very jealous of those areas that get the type that are able to stay over the winter. We only have ruby throated in MA and they seem to follow a pretty strict migration schedule. They often arrive the same week every year, though I always follow them on the migration map in the spring and put out nectar early just in case.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
That is so awesome! The ones I have never seem to have a truce haha. We can often hear them chattering at each other and giving chase when out in the yard, way up high even when you can't see them. I really love when they are around, and wish they could stay longer. I'm very jealous of those areas that get the type that are able to stay over the winter. We only have ruby throated in MA and they seem to follow a pretty strict migration schedule. They often arrive the same week every year, though I always follow them on the migration map in the spring and put out nectar early just in case.
We only have Ruby Throats here, too, and they can get pretty bold. Sometimes, if I (gasp!) negligently allow the feeders to become empty, they'll look into my kitchen window to guilt me out, and then mob me as I try to hang the feeder. I've had them land on it before I even hang it. Last wk I had one buzz me while I was sitting on the porch, and I felt her wings on my cheek as she whizzed by.

BTW, apologies to all the gardeners -- we seem to have hijacked this forum with hummingbird posts, LOL.

altagirl

Staff member
Yeah, if the feeders have gotten bugs in them, sometimes I have a hummingbird fly in the house if the door is open or get right in my face when I'm outside, like hello, are you going to remedy this situation or what? And if I just stand next to the flowers on the deck they will feed right around me and I can feel the breeze from their wings. It's really cool. I have mostly black-chins and rufous hummingbirds though

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Yeah, if the feeders have gotten bugs in them, sometimes I have a hummingbird fly in the house if the door is open or get right in my face when I'm outside, like hello, are you going to remedy this situation or what? And if I just stand next to the flowers on the deck they will feed right around me and I can feel the breeze from their wings. It's really cool. I have mostly black-chins and rufous hummingbirds though
I love rufous hummers -- they're SO feisty! Had them in NM. And not only do the hummers give me shade, but a couple of days ago I was working outside and got soundly cussed-out by one of my Red-bellied Woodpeckers, because there was no suet out! I don't usually put suet out in the warm months, since there's plenty of bugs to go around (and I live in a heavily wooded area, so she was definitely not starving!), but I guess she saw all the other birds, squirrels, and chipmunks chowing down, so she gave me what-for! (PS - I went and put out some suet - I'm so well-trained!)

altagirl

Staff member
I love rufous hummers -- they're SO feisty! Had them in NM. And not only do the hummers give me shade, but a couple of days ago I was working outside and got soundly cussed-out by one of my Red-bellied Woodpeckers, because there was no suet out! I don't usually put suet out in the warm months, since there's plenty of bugs to go around (and I live in a heavily wooded area, so she was definitely not starving!), but I guess she saw all the other birds, squirrels, and chipmunks chowing down, so she gave me what-for! (PS - I went and put out some suet - I'm so well-trained!)
My Woodhouse's Scrub Jays have me trained to put out peanuts like that. I don't have them out all the time but if the door is open and they see me inside, they land on the deck railing and scold me until I put peanuts out for them. I'm also well-trained, LOL!

shadoj

Angel Diva
I had a catbird scold me for putting a plant in a dish of water to root-soak... got in its way. I guess it had been a prime warm bathing location (not just for sipping) before I had the nerve to disrupt it. Fixed.

Ruby-throats only, here, too... and they are gone (I think) for the year. A couple stray monarchs still fluttering about, though.

Tomorrow will be pleasantly-warm, then a potential frost on Thurs. (!) Eek! Not ready yet.

Playing plant tetris with all the shade perennials in the nursery; winding down and starting inventory for the year :/

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Playing plant tetris with all the shade perennials in the nursery; winding down and starting inventory for the year :/
What do you do with those shade perennials over the winter? I'm assuming they are potted.
Somehow I accumulated a LOT of potted shade perennials this last spring. I am not planning on putting them in the ground for this winter. Just because.

I think just moving the pots into the garage (unheated) will be good enough. But I do have a huge pile of mulch. I could leave the pots outside and mound the mulch up around the pots. Does the nursery ever do this for plants in biggish pots?

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Well, I thought all my hummers had left, but yesterday my two Scouts showed up, and they're still hanging around today. That's their typical behavior -- I was surprised last week when I hadn't seen them staying around. They may stay for another week or two -- they're enjoying having the two feeders to themselves (but still fighting over them, lol).

altagirl

Staff member
What do you do with those shade perennials over the winter? I'm assuming they are potted.
Somehow I accumulated a LOT of potted shade perennials this last spring. I am not planning on putting them in the ground for this winter. Just because.

I think just moving the pots into the garage (unheated) will be good enough. But I do have a huge pile of mulch. I could leave the pots outside and mound the mulch up around the pots. Does the nursery ever do this for plants in biggish pots?
I'm curious about the potted perennials in winter too. I kept some sedum in pots over the winter, and some hen and chicks, and speedwell and wallflowers, and they returned just fine this year. But other supposedly winter hardy for my zone perennials have not - and sometimes, same plant, one year it works another it doesnt. Or one pot lives and another doesn't make it... So this fall I've been moving some perennials into the ground where I have room. But am curious about other types of insulation for just better keeping things in pots.

(NOT that I mind having an excuse to buy flowers in the spring, to refill the pots!)

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm curious about the potted perennials in winter too. I kept some sedum in pots over the winter, and some hen and chicks, and speedwell and wallflowers, and they returned just fine this year. But other supposedly winter hardy for my zone perennials have not - and sometimes, same plant, one year it works another it doesnt. Or one pot lives and another doesn't make it... So this fall I've been moving some perennials into the ground where I have room. But am curious about other types of insulation for just better keeping things in pots.

(NOT that I mind having an excuse to buy flowers in the spring, to refill the pots!)
What I think kills them is frozen water in the pot, breaking the cells in the roots. Snow falls then melts, or rain falls, the roots take up the water, then freezing temps return and the roots are toast. So I put potted plants in the garage where they won't get any water all winter. They don't seem to mind.

But now I have too many pots. Am seeking an alternative to the extra pots that won't fit in the garage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly