• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

Christy

Angel Diva
Last year I picked the first cherry tomatoes the last week of May, but I predict it'll be the first week of June or so this year since I had to wait until after Tuesdays last frost this year.
Wow! Lucky. Here we plant on Mother's Day but keep them wrapped in plastic for warmth, and that comes off the first or second week in June. Then you hope to get a tomato by August.

In Texas last week someone told me the challenge there was getting them harvested before summer when it gets too hot. So they plan in January and harvest in spring. Never heard of such a thing!

Christy

Angel Diva
Sunflowers have come up good, but. It's hard to mistake them for anything else.
I planted sunflowers for the first time last year. They grew to their expected height and blossomed. One morning I woke up to find they'd been gnawed off at the base, toppled, and the heads eaten. Apparently squirrels do this. It was kind of comical. Sunflower slaughter on 79th St.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I planted sunflowers for the first time last year. They grew to their expected height and blossomed. One morning I woke up to find they'd been gnawed off at the base, toppled, and the heads eaten. Apparently squirrels do this. It was kind of comical. Sunflower slaughter on 79th St.
Oh no! I hope you got a few days' pleasure from them. We don't have anything that nibbles them here, though I was fascinated to see that ants are doing the pollinating, not bees. And they're red! Hoping to get lots of seeds because I'm going mad with these next season!

1650759519106.png

newboots

Angel Diva
Siberian Squill is the thug here. Yeah, they're both sometimes included in genus Scilla, with Golry of the Snow sometimes assigned to Chionodoxa. I'd probably keep an eye out, anyway.

I had a tiny patch of Scilla in a shady spot in my old place in Massachusetts. It never spread; I wonder if it's a different variety.

altagirl

Staff member
I had a bit of a hunt but I found so many cultivars that I elected to water it and wait.

Annndddddd, after a few weeks, the purple ground-cover I sowed is about 2 feet tall and has little yellow flowers. Husband is adamant it's supposed to look like that (on the grounds we don't have this thing growing anywhere else in the yard). Son is thrilled he's got some flowers. I'm convinced more than ever I've been tending weeds.

Sunflowers have come up good, but. It's hard to mistake them for anything else.
Show us pics of your mystery plants!

Christy

Angel Diva
It's been so cool here, but the cool weather veggies don't mind. Lettuce, spinach, kale, radishes and scallions, plus perennial herbs, are all being harvested. Carrots, pole beans and cabbages are growing. But we usually plant tomatoes on mother's day, and I couldn't see doing that today with temps still in the 40s at night.

20220507_120500-01.jpeg

I hired a garden designer who specializes in edible landscapes to redo my yard. I'm excited to have more than 1 veggie bed. That won't happen until fall though.

shadoj

Angel Diva
We are having 5th winter. Another frost warning. Tulips are barely blooming.
Hang in there! Having unusually summery weather here (plus hail!) after a very late start to the MN spring. Neighbor's early tulips are blooming, but I'm only just seeing a little color in the buds in mine. Just a day or two away, I expect. First bleeding hearts just started flowering. No, not the ones in my shade gardens, but the ones growing in the cracks between the house and the pavers. Eagerly awaiting the arrival of some queen bees!

shadoj

Angel Diva
Has anybody grown red creeping thyme? Comments about it?
Haven't grown the red cultivar, but creeping thyme itself is a charming little plant. Fun to pet & smells really nice. Best for very light foot traffic or path edges; likes that silty/sandy well-drained (but moist enough) soil next to pavers and sidewalks and in rock garden/walls. Bees adore the flowers, especially the tiny native bees. Not super-fast spreading, so it's easy to control the shape of the mat. Try it out :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
We are having 5th winter. Another frost warning. Tulips are barely blooming.
It snowed just a tiny bit again overnight here. It's nice for us to have a cool spring for a change but i wish we'd get some real precipitation with it. It's like it "rains" all the time this spring, but it's just windy and we get 0.01" of rain.

shadoj

Angel Diva
It snowed just a tiny bit again overnight here. It's nice for us to have a cool spring for a change but i wish we'd get some real precipitation with it. It's like it "rains" all the time this spring, but it's just windy and we get 0.01" of rain.
Lack of natural precipitation is tough, even if in a predictably arid climate. I like letting things reseed and planting a couple new species every year, so any extra watering just becomes tedious. And the plants are never as happy with city water as they are with the natural stuff. Definitely putting in rain barrels once my housemate gets the gutter situation fixed.

altagirl

Staff member
Lack of natural precipitation is tough, even if in a predictably arid climate. I like letting things reseed and planting a couple new species every year, so any extra watering just becomes tedious. And the plants are never as happy with city water as they are with the natural stuff. Definitely putting in rain barrels once my housemate gets the gutter situation fixed.
I bought some rain barrels but DH wants to be involved in connecting the downspouts so they are just sitting. I need to get him motivated or let me do it myself soon! In the meantime I keep a pitcher in the sink to catch any wasted clean(ish) water and hand water my plants with that.

Last edited:

shadoj

Angel Diva
My full sun bed. Used to be tomatoes but I'm trying to make it something that will stay in the bed and need less water.
Ooh! Don't know those plants, but I already like the look of your (sideways!) dry riverbed. Silly photos ;) What's all in there instead of tomatoes? I've mostly moved to containers for veggies except if I'm starting new perennial gardens; gives me the most flexibility in terms of sun/pH. Of course, I still have to remember to water them :rotf: Lots of sun-dried tomatoes, well-before fruiting!

altagirl

Staff member
So the sedum in that garden is...

20220510_081743.jpg

Sedum Telephium, which is super drought and heat tolerant and flowers in late summer.

I also have some Wasatch Fire, which should be a local flowing plant that attracts hummingbirds. 20220510_081828.jpg

Attachments

• 20220510_081904.jpg
    20220510_081904.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna