• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are letting the veggie boxes lie dormant this year - current project is building an aviary for quails, Anyway, younger son decided he wanted to grow some flowers so we let him plant is one of the veggie boxes: lobelia, nasturtium, verbena and a couple of others. Good news is that we have a huge amount of seedlings coming through, bad news is I have no idea what any of these plants are supposed to look like and I fear we are carefully cultivating a patch of weeds.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I left a bunch of bulbs in my garage all winter. Some of them didn’t die and are now sprouting. I guess it doesn’t cost me anything but a bit of time to do some digging and see if they’ll take…

shadoj

Angel Diva
I left a bunch of bulbs in my garage all winter. Some of them didn’t die and are now sprouting. I guess it doesn’t cost me anything but a bit of time to do some digging and see if they’ll take…
They probably will take if your soil isn't frozen! Might throw the timing of the blooms off a little, or might not flower this year, but should still settle in OK. If the ground's still solid, stick 'em in a pot and water; transplant the whole clump of bulbs when things have thawed out a bit. Turns out many plants do just fine with benign neglect ;)

Minnesota is acting in typical spring fashion: we might get snow (aka wintry mix) later this week; lots of plants have already sprouted or are budding out. Nursery opens in less than 2 weeks... eek. My brain is still in ski-mode.

Christy

Angel Diva
Minnesota is acting in typical spring fashion: we might get snow (aka wintry mix) later this week

The Seattle Mariners are opening in Minneapolis against the Twins on Thursday. Our broadcasters have been obsessed with the forecast for over a week. There are lengthy discussions during every spring training broadcast about the cold temps and possibility of snow on Thursday.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Minnesota is acting in typical spring fashion: we might get snow (aka wintry mix) later this week; lots of plants have already sprouted or are budding out. Nursery opens in less than 2 weeks... eek. My brain is still in ski-mode.
My brain is still in ski mode too, It was snowing on my way to work this morning.
Mom asked me what plans do I have for garden this summer and I said I didn't know because I haven't thought about it yet!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm reluctantly inching into garden mode, considering that all somewhat close hills are now closed. Yesterday was a light dethatching of the front lawn and clean up of the front flower beds. Mulch comes next, and of course the entire back and side yards. I was a little glad it was rainy today, clearly I use different muscles for skiing than I do for gardening.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
My crocuses are in bloom, my daffodils are nearly there, and the other spring bulbs are poking through, too, so I suppose it is time to accept the inevitability of spring!

Mostly posting to follow along for now and maybe get some inspiration to get out there and clean up the beds soon.

newboots

Angel Diva
We are letting the veggie boxes lie dormant this year - current project is building an aviary for quails, Anyway, younger son decided he wanted to grow some flowers so we let him plant is one of the veggie boxes: lobelia, nasturtium, verbena and a couple of others. Good news is that we have a huge amount of seedlings coming through, bad news is I have no idea what any of these plants are supposed to look like and I fear we are carefully cultivating a patch of weeds.

Sometimes the seed packets include a picture of the seedling. Nasturtiums, in particular, have a very notable seedling with cute leaves! I think you could also find seedling pictures online if you hunt a bit.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I grew nasturtiums for the first time a couple of years ago. Had no idea what they looked like or anything ahead of time, but they kept coming up in books I was reading, so I decided to find out that way, instead of Googling it.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Their bright colors can cheer me instantly!
Me also! Nasturtiums are one of my nostalgic "childhood flowers" since they're so easy to grow, even in short-season climates. Edible, too! Usually can find space (even a pot) for a few seeds each year. That reminds me, I should check my supply... and sigh as I realize I collect/hoard way too many varieties of everything.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sometimes the seed packets include a picture of the seedling. Nasturtiums, in particular, have a very notable seedling with cute leaves! I think you could also find seedling pictures online if you hunt a bit.
I had a bit of a hunt but I found so many cultivars that I elected to water it and wait.

Annndddddd, after a few weeks, the purple ground-cover I sowed is about 2 feet tall and has little yellow flowers. Husband is adamant it's supposed to look like that (on the grounds we don't have this thing growing anywhere else in the yard). Son is thrilled he's got some flowers. I'm convinced more than ever I've been tending weeds.

Sunflowers have come up good, but. It's hard to mistake them for anything else.

shadoj

Angel Diva
@Jenny - are those squill? Super-pretty, but invasive in my area. They take over woodlands and form monocultures here. Be warned! ;)

In Minnesota garden news, here's the pocket prairie last week:
DSC05091.JPG

Vs. today, all nice and sunny, viewed from the opposite direction:
DSC05092.JPG

The native, fuzzy pasque flowers started blooming! I planted ~6 last spring, plus threw down some seed. That's a showy penstemon rosette next to it, grown from seed and also native here.
DSC05095.JPG

What the short critters get to see:
DSC05093.JPG

I am mostly cured of my post-ski-season depression now! Gardening is officially underway.

shadoj

Angel Diva
@shadoj - I don’t know what squill is, the pack said they were Glory of the Snow.

ETA - Google says different, but they certainly seem similar. https://www.yourgardensanctuary.com/bulbs-in-lawn/

Considering our neighbor's Bermuda grass is invading our lawn this would be an improvement.
Siberian Squill is the thug here. Yeah, they're both sometimes included in genus Scilla, with Golry of the Snow sometimes assigned to Chionodoxa. I'd probably keep an eye out, anyway.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Yesterday I put all my veggie plants in the ground: tomato (7 varieties), cucumber, yellow squash, zucchine, green peppers, cherry & grape tomatoes.

Today all the veggie seeds went in: 2 lettuce varieties, spinich, pea pods, green beans and asparagus beans.

Last year I picked the first cherry tomatoes the last week of May, but I predict it'll be the first week of June or so this year since I had to wait until after Tuesdays last frost this year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna