• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add webmaster@theskidiva.com to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
So pretty!! Do you need to dig up these bulbs to store over the winter?
Yes! I am so clueless about gardening that when I picked them out this spring I didn’t even know that was possible, but a talented gardener friend of mine told me I could do that in order to grow them next year. They are not hardy in Vermont, that’s for sure!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
View attachment 16431
I’m proud I grew these dahlias! I’ve only just started adding landscaping to the house this season; I let last summer go by without trying to grow anything in order to see what already existed on the property.

Turns out that there were just some hydrangea bushes, roses in need of rescue and a rhododendron… as well as an abundance of wildflowers and wild blackberry bushes.

These flowers were some of my first I’ve successfully grown from tuber stage; hoping I can store them properly over the winter and grow more next year!
Those are stunning!! I love dahlias so much. I was thinking of buying some dahlia tubers this spring and growing some in pots, you've just strengthened my resolve to do that :smile:

Christy

Angel Diva
@ilovepugs Dahlias are the best. (Are these the farmer's market staple everywhere that they are here? I closely associate them with the Hmong flower growers that sell at the Pike Place Market and other markets).

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Those are stunning!! I love dahlias so much. I was thinking of buying some dahlia tubers this spring and growing some in pots, you've just strengthened my resolve to do that :smile:
Yeah!! Not sure what varieties you can get over there, but these are the Thomas Edison dinner plate dahlias. They aren’t quite the size of dinner plates but I’m still pleased with how they turned out.

@ilovepugs Dahlias are the best. (Are these the farmer's market staple everywhere that they are here? I closely associate them with the Hmong flower growers that sell at the Pike Place Market and other markets).
I honestly don’t know!! I can’t recall the last time I bought flowers at a farmer’s market. I usually pick them up from a nearby farm stand that carries the most beautiful flowers from Rock Meadow Farm (they are on Instagram — so pretty!!)

altagirl

Staff member
I'm still plugging away at tearing out the grass and "localscaping" the parkstrip. In my mind I'm going to finish this and do a whole other chunk of the front yard this year. We will see I guess! At least I'm past the 2/3s markIMG_20210907_093148932~2(1).jpg with the parkstrip.

altagirl

Staff member
Yes! I am so clueless about gardening that when I picked them out this spring I didn’t even know that was possible, but a talented gardener friend of mine told me I could do that in order to grow them next year. They are not hardy in Vermont, that’s for sure!
At least you've got the water in Vermont. :smile: I don't think they'd like anything here. I was just looking up the growing requirements and they're definitely nonsensical in Utah since they need to be kept moist once they start growing. There do appear to be people on our Utah gardening forum who grow them successfully but they say they need to be watered religiously every day here. Oh well - they're on the list if we ever move somewhere else with more moisture! At least we do have lovely drought tolerant plants to play with. I think I bought the rainbow of Agastache (hummingbird mint) - which can go several weeks without any water once established.

Members Online

No members online now.

Latest posts