• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Salomon I want to see! Find those photos fast. You tend 7 acres?? How many helpers? Are they out of work and now you have to do it by yourself? Do people pay to come see?

I probably have one to 1.5 acres I tend by myself. It's almost too much, but that's fine since I think of it as a full-time job in the outdoors with me as my own boss.

Salomon

Certified Ski Diva
Just the 2 of us . No , it’s not open ( well , friends and family ) . We do get someone to cut the laurel hedge ... it’s a few hundred metres long ....
tried photos but the files are always too big ( using iPhone ...can someone direct me to a thread that explains ?) merci

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right. I have to reduce the file size of any picture of mine to post it here. It takes too much time. So frustrating. @WENDY, can you fix this?

I open the picture I want to post on my laptop.
--I duplicate it.
--I add "small" to the duplicate's name and save it.
--I then open that soon-to-be-small version of the picture,
--find the option to "adjust file size,"
--and change the width of the file in inches to 12.
--Then I save it and post it.

Salomon

Certified Ski Diva
Right. I have to reduce the file size of any picture of mine to post it here. It takes too much time. So frustrating. @WENDY, can you fix this?

I open the picture I want to post on my laptop.
--I duplicate it.
--I add "small" to the duplicate's name and save it.
--I then open that soon-to-be-small version of the picture,
--find the option to "adjust file size,"
--and change the width of the file in inches to 12.
--Then I save it and post it.
I managed it all on my phone . See above . That’s a part of the veggie garden .

Christy

Angel Diva
There are quite a few free apps and online tools to resize photos. Just Google. It might be the same number of steps you are already doing though.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
What kept the deer away? They not only eat my hostas, they also eat selected types of day lilies.

A friend recommended this concoction:
1gal. water/plastic jug
Plastic spray bottle
1 egg
1/2c. milk
1 T. cooking oil
1 T. dish soap

It seemed to work for me. I kept it in the fridge all summer and to my surprise it didn't stink. I sprayed the hostas and lilies (yes, the deer would eat all the flowers on the day lilies just before they would bloom) after rain and at least every two weeks. Fingers crossed it works again this summer.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There are quite a few free apps and online tools to resize photos. Just Google. It might be the same number of steps you are already doing though.
A Diva mentioned at some point that for people with MacOS, can open a graphic file in Preview and use Export. I do that for screen shots. For photos, I keep them in Photos so easy to export at any size I want. I prefer to upload small files anyway. A habit from having a slow Internet connection at my house until relatively recently.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The day lilies are coming up. I've raked them, and on one bed I put compost. That's about it. I have a lot. They are so eager to grow, and so easy. I am no daylily snob. I love my common orange roadside daylilies. Here are some before and after images. "Before" is now. "After" is last summer and presumably this upcoming summer. They bloom in July, and are done the last week. I usually cut them down just before Aug 1.
The driveway beds. I have two, one on each side. Here's the first one, on the high side of the driveway.
IMG_6297.jpegIMG_4355.jpg
Here's the one on the low side. It's the bed I've put compost on top of. We'll see if they look better than their brethren elsewhere in the garden. There's a serious dropoff here at the edge of the driveway, beyond which is a former pond. It's now filled up with loosestrife and other invasives. There be frogs there.
IMG_6296.jpegIMG_4245.jpeg

Last edited:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
More daylilies.
Here are the ones in front of the rocks.
IMG_6306.jpeg
Their companion plants are hostas. The big blue hostas are the Sieboldiana Elegans I've talked about upthread.IMG_4369.jpeg
That big yellow hosta is Sun Power. If you ever want yellow hostas, get that one. It grows fast and survives direct sun easily, or will grow in dark shade. Very happy anywhere. Did I say it grows fast? You can divide it for more plants. It's the shining star of this part of the garden.IMG_4285.jpeg

Last edited:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And here are the lilies up back, at the border of the garden. It doesn't look good now, but it will.
IMG_6299.jpeg
It is my intention to work on this grass this season. It's green, but it's mostly weeds. I want bonafide grass, and I don't want any gaps where dirt shows up. This will be difficult to accomplish in one summer. It should take about three summers if I start this season. Grass is hard to grow in my garden, unexpectedly harder than the showy plants.IMG_4267.jpg
The big hosta bed on the hill up back bumps into this line of orange. I can't imagine things looking better if instead I had the fancy lilies with all the different colors and the creative pedal shapes. I love my simple common orange daylilies.IMG_4270.jpeg

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
All gorgeous! Anyway, your hostas come in many colors, so one can rest her eyes on a sea of orange.

Salomon

Certified Ski Diva
Beautiful day lilies a. How long is the flowering season ? We have similar beds with crocosmia , but day lilies are prettier

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the ferns also. Were they native?
Yes. My biggest area of ostrich ferns happened on its own. They showed up, and multiplied (underground spreading). I keep the borders under my control, moving what shows up in the wrong place. I've pulled ostrich ferns from the original bed to start new beds. They abhor sun shining on them. Full shade it is.

Other ferns show up, from seeds blowing in the wind. Or not seeds, spores. They grown in the grass. I've dug them up and put them in another large fern bed. As those have matured over the years, it's become obvious I have at least four different species. There are woodlands all around where I live. The spores must blow in from there.

Cinnamon ferns are obvious because of the spikes with spores that they send up from their middles. I have some of them, but not a bed full yet. They do not spread like the Ostriches do.

I also have one Royal Fern. They prefer to grow in water. I don't have a stream, so I have to water this one. It may not survive. I took it from the woods. Don't tell.

And oh, Sensitive Ferns. They show up all over the place and grow fast. They will grow in the sun.

I'd like a bed of Hay Scented Ferns. They grow naturally here. They have not shown up in my garden on their own, so I need a donor to give me some. If there were no coronavirus going on, I'd ask the person I know who has too many if he'd let me take some this summer. Maybe, maybe, sometime in the future I'll do that.

MA is good for ferns. The ostrich ferns and cinnamon ferns get as high as mid-chest. I love ferns.

Last edited:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Beautiful day lilies a. How long is the flowering season ? We have similar beds with crocosmia , but day lilies are prettier

I don't know about crocosmia. Looks like they need warmer winters than I have here. The day lilies start blooming orange early in July, and they fade late in July. They give me about 3-3.5 weeks of orange. It's good, because they last more than the usual 2 weeks of most flowers. I cut them down all the way immediately because they look horrid, and I put the spent leaves in compost piles. Then I over the flattened lily beds with compost from other compost piles (I have so many). The leaves come back up nicely for the rest of the season; it takes about two weeks. No more blooms, though.

I've never spent a penny on day lilies. These are the ones no one wants. Roadside Daylilies. There were a few here when I moved in 17 years ago. I divided them and they multiplied -- fast! They will grow in bad soil, good soil, in gravel, in the air. They do want sun to bloom, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna