• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening - what's eating my herbs?

altagirl

Staff member
Hopefully this is the right spot for this - it says "Anything you do in the off-season". Gardening isn't exactly a sport, but it's certainly an off-season activity...

Anyway - This year I've planted a flower bed with:

Thai Basil
Italian Basil
Spicy Oregano
Globe Oregano
Rosemary
and like 8 varieties of mint.

And everything except the Rosemary and oddly 2 varieties of the mint are being eaten by something. Whatever it is doesn't seem to like the varieties of mint with fuzzy leaves (apple mint and pineapple mint). Which is fine by me because those two are my favorites. But I want my fresh basil, dang it!

I can't find any bugs on the plants.

And the holes in the leaves are sometimes on the edges and sometimes in the middle of the leaf.

No droppings, eggs, etc. are visible on the leaves.

I was tempted to go get a bag of ladybugs to set loose in the yard to see if that helps, but I'm not sure this is caused by anything they'd eat. I don't see any aphids or anything. Is this snails doing the damage?

I've been googling trying to find pictures of snail damage, but haven't found anything yet. I know we had tons of snails when we lived down the street. I haven't seen any here, but logically they should be around. I think we just had more full shade areas with rocks where you'd see them hiding in the daytime (since they're nocturnal and wouldn't be in my full sun garden during the day).

What's the best way to get rid of them? Obviously I don't want any sort of poison or anything since it's for my herb garden. And I have a dog and a cat too, and just on general principle that doesn't seem like a good idea. I've heard copper wire/flashing around the plants deters snails.

I've also heard they drown in beer, but that sounds messy and gross to clean up. And salt probably isn't good for the soil?

Any recommendations?

Jilly

Staff member
Since you plan on eating this stuff, stay away from chemicals. They will be absorbed in the plant material. Try a product called "safer soap". I've used it before. Now I just grow more and leave some for the bugs!

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You know, I've had something chowing on my marigolds that are planted near my tomatoes this year. I'm not sure what's doing it either, but they only eat the leaves. We've been totally overrun with box elder bugs this year and I wonder if they have anything to do with it. They're all over the hydrangeas and mint, so I figure they have to be eating some of it. I've also noticed some little tiny fruit fly-like bugs in our backyard but I haven't been able to catch them red-handed yet on the plants.

I think this year is different because of how wet and cold our spring was. There seems to be a lot more going on in my garden and grass in terms of pests than last year.

Acrophobia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Rabbits?

Deer?

When we lived in New Hampshire, we had trouble with groundhogs. We bought a Havahart trap and started the Groundhog Relocation Program, which helped. A little bit.

altagirl

Staff member
Rabbits?

Deer?

When we lived in New Hampshire, we had trouble with groundhogs. We bought a Havahart trap and started the Groundhog Relocation Program, which helped. A little bit.

not that it would be totally impossible, but it's a fenced yard, so I'd be amazed if it was deer. (Plus the bites are too small.)

And I even think if it was rabbits there would be more damage. if anything - maybe mice? That seems more appropriate to the size of the holes in the leaves.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Slugs leave holes in leaves - copper works because it gives them some sort of small electrical charge when they crawl on it.

I've never tried the beer thing because I didn't want to clean up drowned slugs, but I've heard it works well.

Also if you sprinkle sand or eggshells around the plants - the sharp edges hurt so the slugs don't cross them. And I think I've heard that coffee grounds work, too.

Maybe the fuzzy plants are safe because the fuzz is stiff enough to hurt them, too?

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I quit getting paid to answer these questions awhile ago but let's see if I can still do this:

1) Are the holes round or irregular in shape?
2) You say that there are some starting in the middle, do these start with a discolored spot that falls out?
3) Veins, are the plants veins similiar in color to the leaf or lighter or daker colored?
4) Better yet can you post a picture and fill me in on your watering habits, what time how much, what ammendments or fertilizers have you used, and is there any discoloration to the leaf at all.

So far, ladybugs are effective against aphids, aphids leave tiny poke holes in leaves and "honeydew" all over the leaves from their droppings. Variety of bugs could be leaf cutter bees, grasshoppers, slugs, colorado potato beetle etc. It could also be cultural like a shothole fungus or something as well. If it's not too much trouble to post, I can try to diagnose. I need to see the damage though, then I can tell if it's a piercing, chewing, fungal or bacterial dilema.
Box Elders typically aren't destructive, just a nuisance.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since you plan on eating this stuff, stay away from chemicals. They will be absorbed in the plant material. Try a product called "safer soap". I've used it before. Now I just grow more and leave some for the bugs!

Safer works awsome on soft-bodied pests if it comes in direct contact with the pest, it burns their body basically. Unless it actually touches the pest though, it won't have lasting effect that would transpire to the bug. In some cases it can burn some leaves as well. As such soaps are also used on weeds.

If it is snails, which it may be as they don't much care for highly scented plants, you can simply change your watering time. As you said they are nocturnal, they also like wet. So if you water in the a.m. instead of the p.m. and the soil is dry during the nightime when they are active, they will not survive or relocate to moist areas.

Copper can be effective yet is tedious, diatomaceous earth is okay but water breaks down it's effectiveness so probably not a best option, salt will burn roots, coffee grounds are high in quick nitrogen which will cause your plants to grow rapidly and deter flowering ( which may be good for herbs ) but high nitrogen can also cause root burn in finer rooted plants. It would probably be fine to try it in a section, if you notice any discoloration on the leaves following especially that appears systemic or derived from the veins, then you may want to back off. I often toss mine in a bed with mint varieties and no harm is done.

Unfortuantely most LTO's require contact with the pest and are not systemic where they are taken up into the plant and passed onto the pest this way.

You can check for slime trails on the leaves to confirm snails, they also leave irregular yet clean chew marks in the plant. Ragged or circular would indicate another pest. Try also your local county extension offices website they ussually have good info.

altagirl

Staff member
I have a bike race today, but I'll have to go out and take a picture and get it posted.

Thanks!! :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna