• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Frostnip?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Today I skied at Sunday River, and it was cold but certainly nowhere near REALLY cold like the dead of winter can be here. On my second run of the morning (it was probably low teens for temperature at that point), the tip of my nose turned white at one point that I know of. It went away quickly, and I made sure to keep it covered better the rest of the day. I probably should have had a mask on to begin with, but it’s only day 3 on snow, and still fall, so I guess I just wasn’t thinking as I should have been. I’ve had this happen before, but on much colder days, so I was a bit surprised and concerned that it happened so quickly and easily today.

In the past I’ve tried Dermatone, but kind of got away from that for reasons I can’t remember now. Is that still the best recommendation for protection from frostnip and frostbite besides just being more vigilant with covering up? Any good strategies or “rules” people follow to protect your face during ski season?

marzNC

Angel Diva
From what I’ve read, yes. Didn’t realize it might lower the threshold as much as it seemed to today though.
I got frost nip on the tip of one ear at Stowe a few years ago. Was staying at an AirBnB and my host confirmed it that evening. Only took one run without a beanie under my helmet in single digits. I'd say that ear has been more sensitive ever since.

At this point I've got three FaceSavers. They are easy to lose so I want to make sure I always have one.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm still a believer in Dermatone in the tin, not the lotion. I have had frost nip and bite. have a scar from the bite (at Sugar Loaf) tiny area was exposed.

this was a -7F day (i lasted 5 or 6 runs)

Attachments

• jan 1 2018 cold - Copy.jpg
    jan 1 2018 cold - Copy.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 7

newboots

Angel Diva
[QUOTE="nopoleskier, post: 396989, member: 1962”]
this was a -7F day (i lasted 5 or 6 runs)[/QUOTE]

“Self Portrait in Blue” by Mel

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I was at Sun Valley in the early 80's and stopped by a ski patrol guy who told me I need to go in as had signs of frostbite on my face. Really? How would I know that?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I have a scar from either frost bite or frost nip, too, so it's made me a lot more careful. Dermatone is really good, but when it's really cold, I use the Facesaver. That's the best protection I've found.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What @ski diva said! and everyone else recommending Dermatone on the tin. I put that on pretty much every ski day when I get to the hill. If there’s any wind at all I use the Facesaver mask. It covers most of the exposed face but doesn’t leave you breathing into a full mask and having it feel wet and nasty against you. I like Dermatone better than Bag Balm or Vaseline as it has sunblock. I tried a product called Ski Balm, but it never felt soft enough to spread evenly on my face. Possibly if I tossed it in the microwave for a second it might have been better! Pulling it out of my bag at the mountain was not working.

Frostbite is nasty stuff.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have a scar from either frost bite or frost nip, too, so it's made me a lot more careful. Dermatone is really good, but when it's really cold, I use the Facesaver. That's the best protection I've found.

I meant to order it last season, and never did. I got to try on @lisamamot’s yesterday, and will definitely be ordering mine this week!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you place the bottom of your goggles on top of the neoprene of this face mask? Or do you press them up against each other?

I'm interested in maybe buying one of these, but if you have to put the goggles on top, I'm worried about my goggles fogging up.

If the goggles go on top, I'm thinking that will create gaps at the nose and/or at the sides of the cheeks where the face mask ends?

Moisture that sneaks up into the interior of the goggles will fog up the inside of the lenses. I know this because it used to happen to me all the time. I am now always very careful to make sure my goggle foam is tightly sealed agains my skin to keep the dreaded fogging away, and that works. I've even added extra foam at the nose of my goggles to seal up that spot, which because of my nose shape often has a gap.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you place the bottom of your goggles on top of the neoprene of this face mask? Or do you press them up against each other?

I'm interested in maybe buying one of these, but if you have to put the goggles on top, I'm worried about my goggles fogging up.

If the goggles go on top, I'm thinking that will create gaps at the nose and/or at the sides of the cheeks where the face mask ends?

Moisture that sneaks up into the interior of the goggles will fog up the inside of the lenses. I know this because it used to happen to me all the time. I am now always very careful to make sure my goggle foam is tightly sealed agains my skin to keep the dreaded fogging away, and that works. I've even added extra foam at the nose of my goggles to seal up that spot, which because of my nose shape often has a gap.

My goggles go on top. But since I don't breathe into the Facesaver mask, it doesn't fog up the goggles.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I meant to order it last season, and never did. I got to try on @lisamamot’s yesterday, and will definitely be ordering mine this week!
Consider getting two. Then have the option of using a dry one in the afternoon. The FaceSaver doesn't get as yucky as full face masks, but still nice to have an extra.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Since my nose is too small to fit perfectly for pretty much any goggles, having the FaceSaver under the goggles from side to side eliminates any gap. Nothing to fog up since no breath is going into the goggles.

I even use the FaceSaver in warm spring conditions for part of the day to keep the sun off my nose and checks.

newboots

Angel Diva
The FaceSaver is the only protection above my mouth that doesn't fog up my goggles (and glasses).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly