• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

From Your First Day of the Season

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So how'd your first day go?

Mine was pretty awesome! I skied Okemo today for their season opener, and a snow storm had it looking more like February than November. Conditions were great, and it was soooooo good to be back on skis!

Here's a pic from today:

IMG_9975.JPG

It was the best opening day I can remember.

How was your first day? Post about it here!

Tvan

Angel Diva
Looks like fun! Are those your Renouns?

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
My first day was last week at Loveland. Great early season conditions with a couple of decent mogul runs open. Yesterday I was at my home mountain of Winter Park. It's pretty much all man-made, but it was extremely sunshiny. I'll be heading back out again today. There's rumors of top to bottom skiing opening up.
46488070_931000243758627_6284404200570880000_o.jpg

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My 1st day was Tues at Eldora. Frontside was open, 5 runs, uncrowded. Good conditions. New 6 pack high speed quad is a huge improvement over 2 older, slower chair lifts. Fun day except that boot and ski alignment way off from last year. Seeing boot fitter tomorrow.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good day at Copper...snow was packed powder...decent...it's snowing lightly tonight, so hoping for a little powder sprinkle for tomorrow morning.

I was in my happy place today, tho my legs are a little tired tonight!

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My first day was last weekend .pretty good and hectic. There were sooooo many people around because there was only a couple runs open. I was getting to know my new skis and by the end of the day I was bouncing and jumping around feeling pretty good on them. Today was better - more runs open so people were spread out.The cold brisk morning began with carving skis doing big arcing fast turns and then later the twin tips came out and I practiced skiing switch when I had a big open space.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had a few "first" days this season. First day skiing in October, which I wrote about for The Ski Diva's blog, then first time ever skinning up on my touring set-up. Then first day at Okemo Sunday doing sort of normal early-season runs.

The run on my AT skis was a disaster; the skis were heavy, everything was new, the snow sketchy, and I was in the backseat like crazy. But then I had a great day at Okemo getting back to basics, and I want to try the AT set-up again now that I'm a little more confident.

Here's me and my boss at the top of our little hill after skinning up.

2018-11-16 10.29.58.jpg

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First day out today at Okemo - fantastic! Snowing all day, powder everywhere, trees and ground looking like mid-winter, multiple runs open, hardly any people there. For the first run we went down a black trail (Upper World Cup) with lots of choppy powder, yikes! My thighs were burning and I felt like I'd forgotten to ski. But I settled down, skied some other runs, both packed and powdery, and circled back later for a satisfying repeat. Conditions were terrific, better than much of the normal winter, and it's just November. YAY!

newboots

Angel Diva
My skis are headed to the shop for their pre-season tune and binding check. Mr. Blizzard is a little late given the snowfall, but he was building our garage, so I mustn’t complain!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
First day out today at Okemo - fantastic! Snowing all day, powder everywhere, trees and ground looking like mid-winter, multiple runs open, hardly any people there. For the first run we went down a black trail (Upper World Cup) with lots of choppy powder, yikes! My thighs were burning and I felt like I'd forgotten to ski. But I settled down, skied some other runs, both packed and powdery, and circled back later for a satisfying repeat. Conditions were terrific, better than much of the normal winter, and it's just November. YAY!

Hey, I was there, too! A pretty fantastic day!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
First day for me was last Sunday at Sugarloaf. Fantastic snow, almost mid-winter conditions, about 38 trails open. Heading back tomorrow, just got another few inches today.
:snow:
enhance

SkiBam

Angel Diva
We "opened" Tremblant today. Great to be back (and it felt like we'd never been away) but, man, was it cold! Minus 21 with lots of wind at the top. And, yes, it was sunny, but with snow guns at full blast, there were areas with poor visibility.

We admired new construction in the North Side lodge and enlargements to the lodge at the summit. But the promised opening of the new Lowell Thomas quad did not materialize and we were told it would be a day or so before they get it running. Too much snow and too cold was one excuse I heard. Sheesh!

Though it sure looks like mid-winter, the number of runs open was limited - but conditions were good and lunch in the village (something we don't do often) was most pleasant.

Anyway, good to have officially launched another season - now we'll just wait for some warmer temps!

Jilly

Staff member
You were one brave lady. I was kind of glad I had to work!! I see they got the chairs on the LT after lunch. Now it has to be inspected by the government and should be good to go. They say more open for the weekend.

newboots

Angel Diva
I heard that the local resorts were, um, uncrowded today. It was zero Fahrenheit and very windy when we woke up, and I can’t imagine what it would be like at the top of a mountain! I suppose I have skied in that weather before, but on Thanksgiving it seems way too cold! Still waiting for my first ski day - soon!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I heard that the local resorts were, um, uncrowded today. It was zero Fahrenheit and very windy when we woke up, and I can’t imagine what it would be like at the top of a mountain! I suppose I have skied in that weather before, but on Thanksgiving it seems way too cold! Still waiting for my first ski day - soon!

I skied at Okemo today with some friends and it really wasn't bad. Granted, we were just doing a few runs prior to getting ready for a big meal, so maybe skiing for another two or three hours would have been less enjoyable. But the snow was great, the wind not bad at all, and the crowds thin.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
You were one brave lady. I was kind of glad I had to work!! I see they got the chairs on the LT after lunch. Now it has to be inspected by the government and should be good to go. They say more open for the weekend.

Wouldn't say I'm necessarily BRAVE. But we always try to do opening and closing day so nobody was willing to wimp out. I was dressed for it (usually in what I might wear mid-January) and it wasn't too bad at all.

Yeah, saw the LT chairs moving after lunch. Would have been nice to ski the top half of the North side - without having to go to the bottom, then sit on the Duncan!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great 1st Day with @Olesya Chornoguz at Whiteface.... it was extremely cold this am -15F when I left home, -5 when I pulled in and very windy. As the sun came up, the winds died down and we were rewarded with a superb day. Nice packed powder, incredible bluebird sky and NO WIND and few people.. What a day!! Yes, Fantastic views. We even had to shed a layer! No, The Top's not open yet, but it's great with the gondola up to excelsior w/ 4 lower Mt. trails. Excellent way to start the season!

46636096_10215087496052242_4933545309901946880_n.jpg46743004_10215087495612231_3277544313000558592_n.jpgwhire face nov 23 2018.jpg46520297_10215086247301024_2099319090173706240_n.jpg

newboots

Angel Diva
Wow, @nopoleskier - the snow looks perfect! Was it as firm and smooth as it looks? Maybe it’s just my imagination, thinking about how cold it was overnight!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna