• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

From Low Intermediate to Confident Intermediate: Tips and Resources

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I recently saw this video and found it hugely enlightening:
Hope we can share more tips and resources like this one here!
I watch Gellie and this is exactly what I was referencing when I made that thread a couple of weeks ago when I said I was too far forward - I was doing exactly this! Sorry excited to see this since I've watched a ton of his videos.

And wow, I'm a low intermediate and not a true blue beginner?! :yahoo:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I absolutely love this thread! This is so me. And I need help to get more comfortable on harder blues. (In some resorts it’s darker greens!) @snoWYmonkey/ Liquidfeet/ echoVT - where do you teach? I find it so hard to find instructors that can explain this well. Would love to maybe seek you out at your home resorts and sign up for lessons sometime!
@Peaheartsmama, I am so sorry but I've quite teaching lessons on snow. Many reasons.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
I absolutely love this thread! This is so me. And I need help to get more comfortable on harder blues. (In some resorts it’s darker greens!) @snoWYmonkey/ Liquidfeet/ echoVT - where do you teach? I find it so hard to find instructors that can explain this well. Would love to maybe seek you out at your home resorts and sign up for lessons sometime!
Sure I gave you a list of tasks to work on, but please ask questions if the reasons why isn’t immediately clear. Happy to explain.

I also forgot to say to incorporate the hot cocoa drill for separation. It’s definitely a go-to. I used that today!

I teach at Stowe, previously at Hunter. I hope to teach at MRG one day too. The Spouse guides backcountry at Bolton in addition to teaching at Stowe.

where are you located @Peaheartsmama ? I really enjoy Camelback! I would work on the different tasks on blues and when you’re doing everything proficiently take it to blacks. There are a few tactics in steeps that can be practiced on blues. Familiarity with bumps is also key. We can discuss that maybe in another thread if you start a thread to focus on high level intermediate skier ready for advanced terrain.

@snoWYmonkey i thought you might be Jackson hole due to the WY in your handle! What an awesome hill to call your home mountain. It doesn’t surprise me there are few if any real blues. At Stowe we have to be selective of the blues we go to first after greens and just get creative with the many trail crossings.

Liquidfeet I can understand leaving teaching!

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m in NJ! But have been exploring the Ikon pass locations this year. First time in a long time we don’t have CBK passes. And yes - bumpy/ piled up snow throws me off for sure - I lose my form and each turn feels like an opportunity to re-tear my ACLs. Not a fun feeling for sure. I’ll look up those drills and try them. Perhaps earlier next season I can schedule some time at Stowe and sign up for lessons with you! It’s on the Epic pass right?

echo_VT

Angel Diva
I’m in NJ! But have been exploring the Ikon pass locations this year. First time in a long time we don’t have CBK passes. And yes - bumpy/ piled up snow throws me off for sure - I lose my form and each turn feels like an opportunity to re-tear my ACLs. Not a fun feeling for sure. I’ll look up those drills and try them. Perhaps earlier next season I can schedule some time at Stowe and sign up for lessons with you! It’s on the Epic pass right?
Yes absolutely! Feel free to DM me as you finalize plans !

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not sure the drills and tips posted in this old thread apply to low intermediates but there is certainly food for thought for those interested in getting past the "intermediate plateau." That can be harder to do when skiing less than 20 days a season, or wrangling kids under 10. However, it should be possible to avoid developing the worst bad habits when there is an appreciation of a few fundamentals.

Getting rid of my bad habits took several seasons after I started working with a very experienced instructor at my home hill. He told me that would be the case during the first lesson. He was also old enough to have learned to ski on long, straight skis, which helped during the transition.

Started December 2018

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Getting rid of my bad habits took several seasons after I started working with a very experienced instructor at my home hill. He told me that would be the case during the first lesson.
Same here. I was told I had picked up so many bad habits that even if I started from scratch they would pop up and impede progress. And indeed it took a long time to correct them. Sometimes I thought I would never get to a better place - but eventually I did. I guess it is that premium always placed on fast learners, which makes us slow turtles feel bad about our own efforts. Did you notice how everybody reminisces about people who were so quick to master some skill that their instructor could not believe it, etc etc. But ... once you have learned a skill, you have it exactly the same as those who mastered it in half time.

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
I'm in NJ too -- and similar in the advanced beginner/baby intermediate currently, am an Indy pass holder, just bought a limited season pass (no major holiday weekends, that's it, which is fine because I avoid holiday weekends) to Belleyre for next season, with access to what remains of this season. Probably will get Epic too, I don't like supporting vail, but local access...

Indy pass is now going RFID also, and some resorts should be direct to lift (AMAZING!!!)

Wouldn't mind setting meeting up, and we also have Big Snow off season. I like to go there on my summer-friday afternoons when I get out of work by 1PM :D. I should have about 7 visits total left between the packs I bought.

Also, like we saw in the return to sport thread, a fellow ACLer.

Last edited:

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure the drills and tips posted in this old thread apply to low intermediates but there is certainly food for thought for those interested in getting past the "intermediate plateau." That can be harder to do when skiing less than 20 days a season, or wrangling kids under 10. However, it should be possible to avoid developing the worst bad habits when there is an appreciation of a few fundamentals.

Getting rid of my bad habits took several seasons after I started working with a very experienced instructor at my home hill. He told me that would be the case during the first lesson. He was also old enough to have learned to ski on long, straight skis, which helped during the transition.

Started December 2018

I laughed hard at the title of the thread you shared cause this was me a few weeks ago. I had never had any significant amount of quad burn until I got new boots with too much forward lean (don't worry, we got this fixed) - my instructor pointed out that it was putting me into the backseat because I was sticking my bum out to try to compensate for the balance issue! But I digress - GREAT THREAD.

This forum is such an invaluable resource for us ladies. I've read many of the other forums and there are words of wisdom to be had from there too, but for our female specific issues, the real pearls are here with the ski divas!

Last edited:

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Same here. I was told I had picked up so many bad habits that even if I started from scratch they would pop up and impede progress. And indeed it took a long time to correct them. Sometimes I thought I would never get to a better place - but eventually I did. I guess it is that premium always placed on fast learners, which makes us slow turtles feel bad about our own efforts. Did you notice how everybody reminisces about people who were so quick to master some skill that their instructor could not believe it, etc etc. But ... once you have learned a skill, you have it exactly the same as those who mastered it in half time.
Love this - my instructor tells me the same when I get down about how fast my husband and son have learned short parallels versus me. Sure it's skiing, but it's NOT a race and everyone has their own unique challenges. Like hubby and son don't have problem feet, LOL. The point is, we shouldn't be comparing ourselves to others to lament how they got better etc. That never leads to anything good. What we should be doing is celebrating our drive to improve to the level we want to be at. We'll all get there!

Last edited:

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
I laughed hard at the title of the thread you shared cause this was me a few weeks ago. I had never had any significant amount of quad burn until I got new boots with too much forward lean (don't worry, we got this fixed)
Haha I found out when I increased the cant on my old boot. Reverted it right back after that day. Now I think it may help with my back seat issues, but I can't locate the baggie of pieces to change the forward angle...

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Haha I found out when I increased the cant on my old boot. Reverted it right back after that day. Now I think it may help with my back seat issues, but I can't locate the baggie of pieces to change the forward angle...
What boot? Are these just the normal tools to turn the levers? Cause they have them at REI and Evo, or any hardware store actually

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
I always suggest being 100 per cent bored with the ease of greens before moving on.

This is how I have been, it's hard though fighting the peer pressure when I am with others.

I keep saying I want to master technique on greens and maybe after I'll consider pitch and speed. Especially with all my surgical history.

So validating

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
What boot? Are these just the normal tools to turn the levers? Cause they have them at REI and Evo, or any hardware store actually
Some are just dials on the side to change the forward angle accessible with just those cheap allen key things (bit allen key dials on sides can also be for left to right leg angle) or other have small wedge shaped pieces to insert inside the boot.

Some boots have no options to adjust one or the other and low end stuff, none.

I have had K2 and Dabello boots so that's what I noticed between mine and what I have read

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is how I have been, it's hard though fighting the peer pressure when I am with others.

I keep saying I want to master technique on greens and maybe after I'll consider pitch and speed. Especially with all my surgical history.

So validating
I TOTALLY agree too. I dunno if its the testosterone or what not, but my husband took me on a blue run with moguls the other day and I totally cussed him out after I made it down. He was like, "but wasn't it fun?!"

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Some are just dials on the side to change the forward angle accessible with just those cheap allen key things (bit allen key dials on sides can also be for left to right leg angle) or other have small wedge shaped pieces to insert inside the boot.

Some boots have no options to adjust one or the other and low end stuff, none.

I have had K2 and Dabello boots so that's what I noticed between mine and what I have read
My husband is really into cycling/mountain biking and if you have any of those hex keys lying around, they'll work, the two sports share loooots of tools (among other things).

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
I TOTALLY agree too. I dunno if its the testosterone or what not, but my husband took me on a blue run with moguls the other day and I totally cussed him out after I made it down. He was like, "but wasn't it fun?!"
Hahaha.

I got "Well you came down faster than I thought on a steep part." After a blue run top to bottom. Which I enjoyed a good chunk, until too many people around spooked me... But it was exciting mentally, just because it's the first time since I switched to skiing did a full top to down.

Ungroomed blues... I'm glad I can say I got down without falling (caught an edge near base of course) but not going to seek it out anytime soon.

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
@Peaheartsmama I teach in Jackson Hole. The resort is known for the not so gradual jump from mellow greens to some pretty steep blues. It forces us to over train in favor of accidentally over terraining our students. I so would love to have easy blues to teach on. That said we seem to manage with the fun terrain we do have. I hope to see you some day and thank you for the kind words.
I got to goto JH back in 04' as a boarder and had a fantastic time with my instructor in a group lesson. I do recall how steep the blues were, and as a skier now, I think nope, nowhere near ready.

Want to go back but I can't bare to add up the cost, that trip was a free grand prize

yogiskier

Angel Diva
I'm in NJ too -- and similar in the advanced beginner/baby intermediate currently, am an Indy pass holder, just bought a limited season pass (no major holiday weekends, that's it, which is fine because I avoid holiday weekends) to Belleyre for next season, with access to what remains of this season. Probably will get Epic too, I don't like supporting vail, but local access...

Indy pass is now going RFID also, and some resorts should be direct to lift (AMAZING!!!)

Wouldn't mind setting meeting up, and we also have Big Snow off season. I like to go there on my summer-friday afternoons when I get out of work by 1PM :D. I should have about 7 visits total left between the packs I bought.

Also, like we saw in the return to sport thread, a fellow ACLer.
@TheGreenOne I just bought Belleayre's season pass too! Thinking about going there this Sunday if it's not too windy in case you're interested!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly