• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

From 2016 Yumi to Secret 96 and a tip about demos

DeeBee

Diva in Training
Hi everyone, I would really appreciate some experienced insights on my demo today. I am 5’ 4” and 115lb. I am Australian and started skiing in 2012 in BC Canada, 3-4 weeks each season and in 2016 bought Volkl Yumis which I love (154cm, 83 waist). I am pretty confident and prepared to try new stuff on skis and will ski black runs if they are groomed and go into ungroomed blues after powder etc. I know I am not the most elegant skier but I somehow manage to stay upright and at reasonable speed and I don’t freak out if I end up somewhere I didn’t plan to be, like in some ungroomed crud. For that reason I call my Yumis my tpmagic skis, I have a lot of confidence on them and if I catch an edge or hit crud I am always able to re-stabilise, I have noticed this season they just feel a bit not so stable and my turns aren’t finishing well. i am aware that I have not skied the past 2 seasons due to Covid so might not have my legs back yet, but on our third day out this season we got 22cm powder overnight and I went out on my reliable Yumis and even though 83mm waist I had a ball in the powder but I did have to work pretty hard to stay afloat. So I decided to demo some wider skis. I started with the Volkl Secrets today 158cm, 96 waist. Absolutley loved the stability and how they went over and through anything. Conditions today were day after a 10cm fall yesterday s soft snow that got choppy pretty quickly from the crowds and icy near the bottom at end of the day. My only concern about the Secrets is they are heavier and whether I have the legs for them. I have also read posts and reviews suggesting they are for advanced skiers and I don’t consider myself advanced. my demo guy then gave me K2 Mindbender which on paper look similar, 156cm with 99 waist. Oh my goodness, what a lesson in demoing skis. Could not be more different, they were so flexible I felt like I was in a washing machine bouncing up and down through every thing. I am sure they are wonderful skis but just wanted to mention how different skis can be and if you can demo it is worth it. Then I demo’ed the Kenja, 156cm, 88 waist. like the Secrets I loved the stability and was turning really well according to my family but I think they are just a little step up from the Yumis and that might not give me as much flexibility p. i went back to the Secrets and gosh I love those skis but I have this niggling concern they are too much for me but that could just be me thinking I am not a good enough skier for them. I think having the Secrets for the powder and chop days and my Yumis for days where there is lack of new snow groomer days could be a good mix, sorry for the long post, it’s just a big investment and I would, so appreciate some wisdom from this forum. I plan to ride the Secrets again tomorrow and could also try some others but I think I am a Volkl fan.

DeeBee

Diva in Training
I have the secret 96 on my want to demo list but haven’t tried it yet. If you loved it twice (once when fresh and once when tired) I’d say that’s i good indicator it might be your ski…
Thanks Sarah, that is exactly why I went back out, right at the end of the day on tired legs, the sort of input I need.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@WaterGirl i just had a look and bindings on the demos are Marker ‘Squire’ bindings.
So I am assuming that your Yumi has a non-demo binding on it? The demo binding can feel a bit bulkier and heavier than a normal binding - just thinking that could be part of the 'heaviness' you were feeling -

MissySki

Angel Diva
I think the Squire demo bindings are the lightest demo binding there is. I just got them put on a pair of skis and they are super light overall. Though I put them on the Volkl Blaze which are already a light ski.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Way back when I switched out the demo bindings on my used Blizzard Sambas for marker squires was a 6 pound difference for both skis.
Demo bindings always make a ski heavier IMO.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Way back when I switched out the demo bindings on my used Blizzard Sambas for marker squires was a 6 pound difference for both skis.
Demo bindings always make a ski heavier IMO.
The Squire demos are about the same weight as the Squire 12 TCX binding and about 0.88 lb heavier than the Squire 11 ID. For the pair.. I’d consider that pretty negligible for a downhill setup. The Squire demo is also lighter than almost any other Marker regular binding.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The Squire demos are about the same weight as the Squire 12 TCX binding and about 0.88 lb heavier than the Squire 11 ID. For the pair.. I’d consider that pretty negligible for a downhill setup. The Squire demo is also lighter than almost any other Marker regular binding.

Well TBH I don't know what bindings were on the Blizzard Sambas before I switched them out. I know for a fact the bindings on the both the Sheeva 9 and 10's were much heavier than the non demo bindings on both skis. That being said, I don't know what bindings were on the demo skis as never really pay attention. To look at demo bindings, clearly there's more to them than non demo bindings. Or, at least the ones I've tried.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you demoed and loved a ski and felt they work for you then that's all that matters! Doesn't matter if they are labeled for advanced or expert skiers. I demoed the Secrets last year and really loved them as well and would consider myself an advanced intermediate. I agree that they're great for going through crud/choppy conditions and are big confidence boosters in those rougher conditions and more confidence = better (and more fun!) skiing.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't worry about the labels, if the ski worked for you and you loved it then get it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly