• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Freestyle/terrain

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I want to get better at skiing in deep powder, and Monday was a great day for that. We got about 12". I decided to take a 1-hour lesson on a whim. The instructor said she knew of a great run for powder, so off we went. We get there and it's a designated terrain park. I was totally scared. It ended up not being bad at all, and I had a great time! Really, it was more of a natural half-pipe that fills with snow easily, so it was a good opportunity for getting into powder. I also was able to catch some air on some of the natural features! And I didn't crash! :yahoo: I tried to follow what my instructor was doing, and sometimes we would stop up on the sides of the run so she could give me pointers.

Anyway, I really want to try this run again, powder or not, but I feel intimidated because I'm not a park skier. I have this silly fear that I'll be "in the way." Even though I don't believe I was in the way during my lesson. At the time, I felt okay about being there because the instructor was with me. I want to emphasize that this was not the typical terrain park with actual designated jumps. It is still categorized as freestyle terrain. Are there any unspoken rules for this kind of run? (Besides the obvious, like don't stop somewhere out of sight/in a potential landing zone.)

MissySki

Angel Diva
I love skiing in terrain park areas on powder days, everyone usually forgets about them! I don’t know of any special rules except to make sure you are careful of landing areas as you mentioned.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Basically if you see a few people standing around at the top of a feature, don't hit that feature before them. They are often waiting their turn to drop in. You can ski around the features giving plenty of space to landing if the park is large enough.

Terrain parks can be really fun, I think getting comfortable with air under your skis can be really beneficial for advance all mountain riding because if you happen to catch some air on a run you won't freak out as much if you are somewhat used to the feeling.

As for more of freestyle terrain, nope no real rules there, just general curtesy like don't cut someones line and if you are coming out of a jump or trees onto the trail make sure you check for traffic.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
my favorite place to be as of the last couple years. I love those runs that are the natural/and man made snow features. and depending on the park crew's imagination they can set up some really fun stuff. This season the crew had this one set where the bigger rails were set up high on top of these banks, like several in a row staggered. So alot of snowboarders, and I would rip through there up on these banks like a slalom snowboard course. Ive gotten high up enough where I was almost sideways. I'd time it so that I would go behind anyone that was actually hitting the rail so I wouldn't be in their way or distract them. After awhile you can gauge what people will be doing and they will get used to you and all can play in harmony. There also is a natural quarterpipe that forms and thats always fun too.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
There definitely are "rules," formal and informal, for navigating in parks. Here's a link worth reading through.
http://www.terrainparksafety.org/

If you're new to parks, definitely watch the embedded video.

One of the unspoken rules that Inam adamant about teaching is to be sure my U8 kids don't use the aporoaches to features as jumps. That really undermines them and makes the park crews super angry.

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of the unspoken rules that Inam adamant about teaching is to be sure my U8 kids don't use the aporoaches to features as jumps. That really undermines them and makes the park crews super angry.

I have heard about this one! There's actually an instagram account called Park Crew Hates You or something, and that's one of their biggest complaints. I've also seen pictures of people on there just chilling out on boxes and rails, using them as a bench. Crazy!

I will check out the link, thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly