• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

freeeeezing temperatures in New England

TrixieRuby

Certified Ski Diva
This Friday, Saturday, Sunday it will be beyond cold in New England.Temps will be about 10 degrees on Friday in the Berkshires (where I think I will be skiing) and about 0-5 degrees on Saturday,, with some wind both days.

How do you decide when to not ski because of the cold? Are you a bad-ass? this will definitely be a no exposed skin weekend.:brr:

Jilly

Staff member
We had quite the discussion here...

Jenny

Angel Diva
This Friday, Saturday, Sunday it will be beyond cold in New England.Temps will be about 10 degrees on Friday in the Berkshires (where I think I will be skiing) and about 0-5 degrees on Saturday,, with some wind both days.

How do you decide when to not ski because of the cold? Are you a bad-ass? this will definitely be a no exposed skin weekend.:brr:
I decided not to go to Diva East because of the temps. So I guess I’m not a bad-ass this week anyway. If I was already there and had paid money? Well, calculation changes a bit.

ballen

Certified Ski Diva

Have you decided to go skiing? Hope you stay warm!

The coldest I ever skied was low single digits with about -10 windchill (like -16 base temp / -23 windchill for non-US folks). Had to use two toe warmers and two hand warmers for each hand/foot. It was doable but not an experience I care to repeat with any regularity :smile:

Latetotheparty

Certified Ski Diva
I skied at -6 ( actual temp, no idea what wind chill was,) this week. Boot heaters non-functional, waiting for new parts, and good handwarmers in my mittens. my freshly waxed skis, set up for normal conditions, stuck to the snow like Velcro. It was an absolute misery, and I lasted for 3 runs. I am clearly not a bad-ass- I completely wimped out. I have a season pass, so it was easy to bail out, go home, and read a good book book instead. In front of the fire, with hot tea and a cozy blanket. It was a great day, I tried, I failed, I triumphed!

I skied at -6 ( actual temp, no idea what wind chill was,) this week. Boot heaters non-functional, waiting for new parts, and good handwarmers in my mittens. my freshly waxed skis, set up for normal conditions, stuck to the snow like Velcro. It was an absolute misery, and I lasted for 3 runs. I am clearly not a bad-ass- I completely wimped out. I have a season pass, so it was easy to bail out, go home, and read a good book book instead. In front of the fire, with hot tea and a cozy blanket. It was a great day, I tried, I failed, I triumphed!

You were smart! You stayed safe to ski another day!

ballen

Certified Ski Diva

I'd say you're a badass for willingly and voluntarily skiing in those conditions, even if just for a few runs! And agree it's always a good thing to know when you've hit your limit :smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
At my place at Sugarloaf the temp has gone from -22F 48 hours ago Friday night to +32F now Sunday night. It'll be a lot more pleasant out there tomorrow.
A FIFTY-FOUR degree temperature differential. :eek:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away:

Diva East #1, Sugarloaf, Maine, 1/23/11, -15f

Attachments

• divas01 012311.jpg
    divas01 012311.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads