• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Freaky Forest Things

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you ever come across "human signs" when recreating in the backcountry that freak you out? Yesterday my daughter and I were biking and came across the strangest white trash camp ever. In addition to the usual garbage, there was a box in the creek of charred bones. ( appeared to be animal ) and literally hundreds of dead fish in three or four piles laying around. All perfectly intact, they were new enough that they were not decomposing but a little to aged to tell if they were even native, they did not appear to be, but I couldn't tell for sure. They were piled just so across the trailhead that we had intended on going up. So we didn't, it was really freaky. Fortunately we had biked about 4 mile up a FS road so we weren't at a total loss, but we still really wanted to be back at the truck immediately. Does this kind of stuff freak you out, or is it just that we live in a state notorious for elusive criminals to be caught hiding in our woods?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Two years ago I was on a Mt bike ride with a girlfriend when we came upon a primative camp site in a place you wonder how they even got that stuff out there. She said, "Peddle faster. I think I hear a banjo!"

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bear Baiting

I ended up turning this site into Fish Wildlife and Parks, because I figured out what was going on. It is black bear season, and the fish
were placed out as bait to lure the bears to a spot where they could be shot from the comfort of a pickup and easily harvested. Illegal in our state, but not in every state unfortunately. :eek:

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
About a month ago, I was hiking on the new trail that crosses the entire length of Rhode Island. We came across a large fallen tree, with three deer skulls nicely arranged on it.
Creepy.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
s**t (pardon my french!) spread out across the sagebrush desert, only a few meters off the edge of a trail in a pseudo-remote but not really climbing area. :( And toilet paper (used) dragged all across the area by some animal.

I don't understand why people don't just pack it out or at least bury it really deep, otherwise animals just find it and have a field day.

It's really not cool to not have proper toilet manners when you're out in bc areas.

K.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
newspaper

The ranger whom went and investigated this site was so freaked they are doing a story in the Newspaper. :eek:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
If you can, post a link when it appears.

BTW, my daughter came home once insisting she'd found human bones beside a stream near us. My husband went over to investigate. Turned out to be the remains of a possum! :D (phew! I really should mention she was only about 9 at the time.)

lil mountain girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
i happen to be fortunate enought to live in an area full of earth worshiping people . . . some just regular hippies leading "regular" lives!
and others are more on the peculiar side . . .

but some people take the earth worshiping to some extreams:
a couple of years ago there was this sunworshiping hippy guy who lived in the forest near some bike trails accessed via fs rd (which acted as the parking area for those trails). he would raid people's vehicles left unlocked, and in some cases harrass the local riders, telling them "i am the sun, and i will come and burn you all down . . . "

i think he thought mtn bikers were "ruining" the land by building and maintaining trails (very sustainably, i might add), but he was quite paranoid, anyway.

there's even a trail named after him . . . "eye of the madman"! :smile:

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hippies

We moved 30 miles from hippyville to find this! The westside of the valley is where the hippies recreate and much cleaner, we have found that virtually noone really recreates on the eastside, which makes it nice for us, but the people whom do venture here obviously come from a different walk of life. Easter weekend we went to a trail on the westside and found two burned cars in the parking lot. Evidentally someone had burned several cars the prior weekend at trailheads, because they were rednecks whom didn't like hippies. Yes we do live in Strangeville.

I will post the article when it comes out, a few weeks I am told.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Burned cars? Wow. They burned the cars that belonged to the hippies, like gassed up and set fire to parked cars?

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
burned

Yes, they burned the cars, I don't know for sure if they belonged to any hippies, but some guy went around to the trailheads in the area and burned quite a number of cars. I am not sure exactly why, I was kind of kidding about the hippies, other than there is an on going riff between the green people and the rednecks.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Now ladies, let's be careful here. No name calling!

These people are simply crazy. So let's not lump them in with hippies and rednecks -- that's unfair to the hippies and rednecks who are sane, well meaning contributing members to society! :D

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But I'm a Hippy

Ooops...Every variation and possible phonetical version of the "R" word has been taken as a vanity plate here. Sometimes I forget that it has a negative connotation elsewhere.:o

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Burned cars? Wow. They burned the cars that belonged to the hippies, like gassed up and set fire to parked cars?

Yes, they burned the cars, I don't know for sure if they belonged to any hippies, but some guy went around to the trailheads in the area and burned quite a number of cars. I am not sure exactly why, I was kind of kidding about the hippies, other than there is an on going riff between the green people and the rednecks.
If I'm reading this correctly, they burned the cars at the trailhead....??

If that's the case, it could have been a care of someone like me, there to unload my mt bike and ride.

As I stated above, I've been on mt bike rides and found squatters. I don't stop and ask wha they're doing!!!:eek:

I've also come accross teenagers "parking".......I don't have to wonder what they're doing;)

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My brother and sis-in-law were on a hut trip a couple of years ago, and when they returned to the trailhead, their car had been broken into and wallets stolen -- not only that, but the jerks who did it slashed their tires! And this trailhead was a good 5 mi from the road.

So after a long tiring weekend, they had to hike/ski out another 5 mi to find help.

The yahoos who did this were quite brilliant and were using the credit cards and were caught immediately. It was a family of four ... two parents lugging around their two young kids. I think they lived out of their car, and were linked to a bunch of other trailhead break-ins. Very sad.

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FREAKY

Today while in the woods checking out my hunter pace trails I came across a very INTERESTING site. Mr.skigirl and I were at least 3 miles in any direction from any house and we came across a Christmas Tree with the tree stand still on it, laying on it's side in the middle of the woods!! I am serious. The tree was laying off the trail in the middle of no where with the tree stand still attached. I would love to know who bothered to take their Christmas tree into the middle of the woods and leave it with the tree stand. I just don't get it. I know that it was not the land owner because I know him very well and he would never do anything like that, plus this is his summer camp not his year round home.

FREAKY for sure!!

Ice Queen

Certified Ski Diva
I once shared my morning coffee with a guy who had his tent and all his camping equipment stolen when he went to sleep in his car during a violent thunderstorm on Mt. Lemmon in Arizona. Everyone except me, my friend, and the car sleeper had packed up and driven back down to Tucson during the storm. So the storm was *that* scary, but it didn't stop them from taking the time to steal this guy's stuff?

Not exactly finding something freaky, but rather losing something freaky.

Solincia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This isn't overly freaky, but it freaked us out.

When I was in college, my bf at the time and some friends decided to head out to the Boundary Waters for some hiking and camping. We went to school at Northland College in WI, so it wasn't that far of a trip.
On the way up it started snowing, and we were excited!

After one night of camping, we got out of our tents, packed up, and started hiking we started seeing things move in the distance... it was hunters! We didn't realize it was hunting season! <silly college kids> Thank goodness there weren't any crazy "hey, look, something moving, lets shoot at it" guys in their crowd or that could have been a disaster. Even they told us when they finally realized we were there to get moving, we weren't wearing orange!

We got out of there as fast as possible, as all of us were dressed in fairly dark gear! Kinda put a damper on the trip, we wanted to spend more time, but at least we had something funny to talk about on the way back to the school!

alaski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This isn't really "freaky" but I do find decorated spruce trees in the middle of freaking nowhere - I mean nowhere! Miles away from anything - around the holiday season. That really bugs me so I always take the junk off the tree and pack it out.

Inevitably someone writes to the paper to complain about how people who remove the ornaments are being a scrooge, but just because it's a christmas ornament doesn't make it not trash if it's out in the wilderness!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly