• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Forecast for '18/'19 season

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would love to think that Philly will get above average snowfall, but I'm inclined to believe the warm and wet map because we so rarely get a good winter here.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in the mild and snowy zone according to the Farmers Almanac. I'd prefer that the weather not be mild, but hoping the snowy part is accurate!

alison wong

Angel Diva
From USA Today: 'Teeth-chattering' winter with plenty of snow, Farmers' Almanac predicts

"Hold onto your wool caps: we may be in for a brutal winter.

Unlike other news stories predicting a warm, wet winter, the Farmers' Almanac predicts a "colder-than-normal" season, stretching from the Continental Divide to the Appalachians.

“Contrary to the stories storming the web, our time-tested, long-range formula is pointing toward a very long, cold, and snow-filled winter," said editor Peter Geiger in a statement on the company's website.

The popular forecaster said frigid conditions are expected in mid-February across the New England, Great Lakes, Ohio Valley and the Midwest.

Above-normal snowfall is predicted for the Great Lakes, Midwest, New England and Pacific Northwest, they said.

Stormy conditions are expected to hang around through the official start of spring."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/t...armers-almanac-predicts/ar-BBMBbv9?li=BBnb7Kz

marzNC

Angel Diva
Unoffical posted this article yesterday:
20 Signs of a Snowy Winter Ahead

I immeditaly recognized the acorn thing from @2ski2moro's comment above, but actually haven't heard of many of these. Anyone else?
They missed two that get talked about in the NC mountains. People have been counting foggy mornings. More fog implies more snowy days are coming. The other more well known indicator is the "wolly worm" that is actually a caterpillar. A fun festival has grown up in Banner Elk around fun with wolly worms, including racing. For 2018 the dates are Oct. 21-22. Sugar Mountain and Beech Mountain (over 5000 ft) in Banner Elk are the two largest ski hills in the southeast.

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
There is a Woollybear Festival here in Ohio, too. I guess the 46th annual parade/festival is later this month.

I saw an all-black woollybear caterpillar on a backpacking trip in PA yesterday! But apparently the tale of the woollybear's orange band forecasting the snowy winter is about last winter instead of the upcoming one.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well surfing and snow this week :smile:
Hurricane Sergio provided fun waves Thursday and Friday, quick trip to Mammoth Sat and Sun for wood and maintenance big graupel storm yesterday afternoon blanketed the mountain and then snow last night down to 8000 feet.
Best part is Sergio is swinging back and providing more surf for the next few days ...
Forecasters seem to be backing off Modoki

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the Oregon Cascades, everyone is predicting warm and wet. Typical for us in mild El Niño.

https://www.oregon.gov/ODA/programs/NaturalResources/Pages/Weather.aspx

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produ...ason/13_seasonal_outlooks/color/churchill.php

https://www.nbcrightnow.com/story/3...ossible-mild-winter-for-the-pacific-northwest

And the Farmer's Almanac on page 1.

Wanna point out that the Feds' map skips out Canada and Mexico although their model obviously covers the whole hemisphere, if not the whole globe.

Nice thing about the Oregon Department of Agriculture is that they also analyze and publish how wrong their predictions were.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One month until opening day at Breck. I'm hoping this is the start of something wonderful for the Rockies. After last winter we deserve it.

I am hoping for this too! My team at work is having a week-long offsite in Boulder the week before Thanksgiving, so my snowboarding coworker and I booked a few extra days in the hopes that at least SOMETHING will be open by that weekend of the 17th. We both have Epic passes and we are staying in Frisco for the weekend, so really really doing a snow dance for Breck :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna