• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Forcing your kids to ski

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw that earlier, and yep, I force my daughter to ski and you know what, I think she'll thank me for it when she's older. And you know what else? She always has fun once she's out there!

And yes, that video definitely struck a chord!

newboots

Angel Diva
This was great, but not as good as "Footrest"

Oh, sorry for hijacking the thread. I dragged my daughter for a mountain vacation instead of a tropical one, since she decided she didn't want to go anywhere there was the Zika virus. She brought her snowboard, unused except for a few times 10 years ago. She had a miserable time and we invested in large bags of Epsom salts. I think I've successfully talked her into learning to ski next time!

Last edited:

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My daughter just went along with whatever activities I had planned. As a consequence she has lots of outdoors experience, because that's what I love. Now she does too! I may have had to force her to take lessons a few times, but for the most part she liked those too. Now I can't keep up with her.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Guilty- but not until this year. At least I don't think I was coercing them before. Something about the teen years alters priorities- sleep and friends now come before skiing with mom. But I am determined to make sure they ski at least once or twice each year now. I have seen what a few years off will do- they start to doubt their abilities, start to forget how much they used to love skiing, making it even harder to get them out there. And they do have fun once they are on the hill.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yup, it's part of our family vacations so too bad. I do acquiesce by letting them sleep in and end early on a few days. Kinda like when I was "forced" to go to France every summer when I was a kid. Yeah, poor poor me.

That video is hilarious as I've said those words....We've paid $$$, we got to be the first ones out, I'll give you hot cocoa...Tight is right....

Last edited:

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Yup, I totally did, my girls at least, my son never needed prodding. And this video is hilarious and spot on. When one wanted to stay in her pajamas, I said, "O.k. fine, they fit under your ski pants. They'll keep you warm." One winter, I even put her into race club so that she had to get up on sat and be at practice by 9am. Lessons every week in disguise. Now that they are all adults, they LOVE to ski, especially after I took them to Big Sky last year and showed them what they were practicing for. My pajama girl, is excited for college in the fall because she is joining the ski club, which has a very active presence on campus. So they do grow up to thank you.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yup, I totally did, my girls at least, my son never needed prodding. And this video is hilarious and spot on. When one wanted to stay in her pajamas, I said, "O.k. fine, they fit under your ski pants. They'll keep you warm." One winter, I even put her into race club so that she had to get up on sat and be at practice by 9am. Lessons every week in disguise. Now that they are all adults, they LOVE to ski, especially after I took them to Big Sky last year and showed them what they were practicing for. My pajama girl, is excited for college in the fall because she is joining the ski club, which has a very active presence on campus. So they do grow up to thank you.

This is my goal. To expose mine to it along with other stuff she might grumble about, knowing she'll thank me later. I'm considering putting her on the "race development team" next season because she'll get very focused instruction if I do.

In the meantime, she and I are creating memories like this, and that's hard to beat:
17361950_10212691985040859_6846928630886008755_n.jpg

BethL

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last Sunday DD (age 9) wanted to ski while I wanted to go for a bike ride. We went skiing. It turned out to be a good choice, because the air at home was smokey (fire in Boulder) while the air at the ski area was fine.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish my parents had been more outdoors-y. We were more of a "hang out and read the paper together on Sunday mornings" kind of family. Which is fine, and I have fond memories of the time we spent together. But we never went skiing - even when we vacationed in Garmisch! My dad did enjoy Volksmarches (10k hikes), so we did a lot of those. He never understood why I was so disappointed when they went through neighborhoods instead of the woods.

So I really don't know much about camping or how to do things in the outdoors. I've come to every sport and activity as a novice. My aunt took my cousin everywhere, hiking, biking, skiing - and he is incredibly capable outdoors. So - parents who force your kids to ski - I salute you!

AdkLynn

Certified Ski Diva
This was great, but not as good as "Footrest"

Oh, sorry for hijacking the thread. I dragged my daughter for a mountain vacation instead of a tropical one, since she decided she didn't want to go anywhere there was the Zika virus. She brought her snowboard, unused except for a few times 10 years ago. She had a miserable time and we invested in large bags of Epsom salts. I think I've successfully talked her into learning to ski next time!

Thanks for the video, that speaks for me and my posse! We do the foot rest!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish my parents had been more outdoors-y. We were more of a "hang out and read the paper together on Sunday mornings" kind of family. Which is fine, and I have fond memories of the time we spent together. But we never went skiing - even when we vacationed in Garmisch! My dad did enjoy Volksmarches (10k hikes), so we did a lot of those. He never understood why I was so disappointed when they went through neighborhoods instead of the woods.

So I really don't know much about camping or how to do things in the outdoors. I've come to every sport and activity as a novice. My aunt took my cousin everywhere, hiking, biking, skiing - and he is incredibly capable outdoors. So - parents who force your kids to ski - I salute you!
I force mine to camp, and hike, too. Soon, I'll get her out on a mountain bike :becky:

cinders

Diva in Training
Many, many, moons ago I coached T ball. At the end of the season, a parent of twins said to me "I don't think I am going to make Neil and Allison play next year." I replied..."Bill, you can make them come, but you can't make them play." Everyone was much happier the next season.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Skiing was not an option in our household. It was like going to school or brushing teeth. We.Go.Skiing.
Of course, kids at a certain age (3) present interesting problems, such as the mid-aft Nuclear Meltdown. This one was particularly funny (thus the pic, decades old).
enhance

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I seem to be the outlier here. Believe it or not, I never forced my daughter to ski. Oh, I tried: I signed her up for a series of lessons when she was in middle school, and she really didn't like it, so I didn't force her to continue. She was a really good, easy kid, so maybe it was her little rebellion. Whatever. It was the one thing we asked her to do that she really resisted, so we didn't push. You know, sometimes you have to choose your battles. And sometimes, if you force kids to do something, they just dig in their heels and resist more and more, and then something that should be fun turns into this big contentious issue. I figured I'd let it go and maybe she'd eventually come around. She's in her 30's now and has begun expressing interest. So we'll take it from there. P.S.: Her five year old son loves to ski!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Skiing was not an option in our household. It was like going to school or brushing teeth. We.Go.Skiing.
Of course, kids at a certain age (3) present interesting problems, such as the mid-aft Nuclear Meltdown. This one was particularly funny (thus the pic, decades old).
enhance
I always like seeing this picture. Too bad it doesn't come with sound-effects!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
@ Jenny - Ha, I think we were laughing too hard to even hear the “sound effects!” Which made him madder! He was just barely 3, overtired and SO over skiing that day.

@ ski diva - not an outlier. I know there were very pressing, important considerations as to why your DD wasn’t on skis at a young age.

Middle school age is definitely the start of “push back.” Ours had been skiing for 8-9 years, decided he was tired of it, didn’t want to be on the club race team anymore (having noted who was really good and who wasn’t), and pushed to try something else - a single plank, a/k/a snowboard. I didn’t push back against this, nor his not particularly wanting to be seen with us (typical). He still wanted to be on the snow, as he had many friends out there.

He was a “switch hitter” for several years before going fully “dark.” And it turns out that he was a WAY more talented snowboarder than skier. And it continues to be a major part of his life to this day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly