• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Forcing your kids to ski

rhymeandreason

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've found that the best way to get reluctant kids into skiing is to take them out with kids who really enjoy skiing. It's even better if the kids who enjoy skiing are a little older and are idolized. We have been lucky because our kids fell in love from day one, but we have been with families with less than eager little skiers. Having a buddy in ski school and sharing the experience with other kids makes it so much more enjoyable for them. Also, I find that having their first few experiences in warmer weather makes a huge difference.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My friend JF has two kids, older boy and younger girl. Her son loved skiing from Day 1 at Massanutten (northern VA). Her daughter wasn't so keen. But JF was starting to ski too and loved it even though it took a few seasons to get onto the blues. She could always talk her daughter onto the slopes for a few more runs if I was off skiing with her son. Ski school the first ski weekend of the season was a requirement. Or at least a 2-hr clinic once the kids were old enough.

The turning point was their first spring break trip to Alta Lodge. The kids were ages 8 and 10. The first morning the girl claimed she was sick and didn't want to go to ski school. When I went to get her brother from their room after breakfast to take him over to Alta Ski School, she was not acting sick at all. Bottom line is her mother convinced her to try ski school in the afternoon. By the time JF and I were there to pick her up, the girl had to admit that Alta Ski School was more fun than she expected. The next year I told her she needed to reach Level 6 if she wanted to ski with me. I knew she was fully capable. After the first day at ski school, she was in Level 6. After the Level 6 lesson day, she was having a lot of fun on any blue, and was able to enjoy the low angle trees. My ski buddy, Bill, and I took the family to Snowbird towards the end of the week. Everyone had a good time. The girl skied the last few runs with just me. She was keeping up on the steeper blue groomers and was even willing to show her mother a few turns on ungroomed terrain between the hairpin turns of Chip's Run as we headed to the Peruvian Tunnel.

Spring skiing is a good time to get kids and adult beginners or cautious intermediates out on the slopes in any region.

HellaRuby

Certified Ski Diva
My oldest hates the cold. I did not make her ski. I wished she had wanted to but I let her do her thing, she’s very artsy and not a sports or outdoors fan. She does however enjoy a good hotel, restaurants and food (she’s 16). Keep hoping she’ll have an interest. However younger son just loves it. Maybe this year she’ll join us...

Christy

Angel Diva
My oldest hates the cold. I did not make her ski. I wished she had wanted to but I let her do her thing, she’s very artsy and not a sports or outdoors fan. She does however enjoy a good hotel, restaurants and food (she’s 16). Keep hoping she’ll have an interest. However younger son just loves it. Maybe this year she’ll join us...

There are some really nice ski hotels out there; some are in charming towns with good restaurants. Maybe at least you can have a family ski vacation where she enjoys the creature comforts and you guys ski.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You could rent a condo. Then your daughter could have dinner ready when the family comes back to the hotel. Savings on restaurants might equal extra expense on condo.

Then again, she might choose to ski.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yep, skiing isn't for everyone. That was obvious seeing my athletic and sporty husband on skis 20 years ago.

What kept my friend's tween daughter on the slopes at Alta last spring break is that an adult friend she likes skiing with joined us. He was taking is easy after an injury (not skiing) so was happy to ski with her wherever she wanted, even if that meant cruising slowly on easy blues. Her mom wanted to push multiple days of ski school for "improvement." But since they only ski during spring break at Alta, with perhaps 2-3 days locally, I suggested just letting her ski for fun instead of turning the ski vacation into work. What she and "Uncle" ended up doing was a semi-private lesson with my favorite instructor. That helped get her back closer to the form she had the year before. She was at an age when she was more nervous for no particular reason.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna