• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

For those who started skiing later in life.....

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1) What made you start skiing? At what age?
My husband was taking our son and our daughter was ready to start. I was 38. He told me he needed my help and I was tired of looking at video and pictures and missing being there myself.
2) Why didn't you start skiing earlier?
No one in my family skied and we are a risk averse group.
3) What's been the biggest obstacle (if there is one) to your skiing?
Fear and lack of confidence. A couple season's ago I wouldn't go out alone and was very scared. Sometimes I would just stay in the lodge and read a book because I was too scared.
4)What's been the hardest thing for you?
Learning how to manage fear and that voice in my head telling me I can't do it. Mermer Blakeslee's book helped me see how I was amplifying my fear and gave helpful tools to manage it.
5) What's helped you the most?
Lessons and boot fitting.
6) What's been the biggest surprise to you?
The highs and lows. Some days are off the charts fun and others are a lesson in perseverance. Conditions make a huge difference from one day to the next.
7) How have your friends and/or family reacted to your skiing?
They've been surprisingly supportive.
8) What are your skiing goals? And what do you see in your future as a skier?
I'd like to keep getting better. As my technique has improved, the enjoyment has grown significantly!

Jazza

Certified Ski Diva
I started at 53.

My husband and I moved to New England in 2003. I was 53. I wanted to learn to ski, so joined a "ski bus." It loaded us up at 6:30 on Wednesday mornings, drove to a mountain somewhere within 3 hours drive north of here (north shore of Boston), and dropped up back around 7:00 pm. We never knew where we were going until we were on our way and the bus boss told us. We skied mountains in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. There was a reasonable annual fee for membership in the ski bus (the Hickory Dickory Docs), plus we had to pay for the day's lift ticket at the mountain of the day. Our bus boss worked out a group rate every time.

I lived in flatland most of my life until 2003. Mississippi, Florida, central North Carolina, Missouri don't have much skiing. When I was a child my family did not have much money, so we didn't take vacations that involved travel, and we knew no one who did.

My home in New England is 2.5 to 3 hours from good skiing north of me. Day trips are OK, but two-day weekends are better, and three-four day trips are better yet. As I got more and more into skiing, I was not satisfied with one ski day a week. I now try to ski 60 days a season since I no longer work in the "real world." The obstacle to doing this is financial, because I need to have lodging up north to do the overnights.

Oh, this is a big one. Boots that are too big has been a big obstacle to my gaining skills. I bought boot after boot, on a minimal budget I spent waay too much trying to get the right boot. I followed all the helpful advice about finding a good bootfitter and trusting him, but these guys kept putting me in the wrong boot. SO FRUSTRATING! Not all old ladies want a comfort fit, and I told them my goals. They profiled me as what they wanted to see and gave me the wrong boot year after year. I have finally found a wonderful bootfitter who respects me and put me in the right boot.
4) What's helped you the most?
If you are asking about what has helpedme get better skill-wise, then becoming a ski instructor helped me a lot. There's on-the-job training for ski instructors. I became a ski instructor because I was obsessed with getting better and wanted that training.

The occasional group lessons that I took before starting to teach were mostly worthless, and I didn't have the financial resources to purchase private lessons.

I also bought all the how-to books I could find, took notes, and worked on snow from those notes. I have my favorite books on technique, and still refer back to them.

Equal to the ski school training and the book-learning has been my participation in online ski forums. I may have learned more from online discussion about technique that from any other source.

What helped with the financial issue was joining a ski club in North Conway so I could have overnight lodging and ski two days a week. This introduced me to ski culture, gave me people to ski with, and allowed me to learn from seasoned skiers in the club. I now rent a condo for the season, and my husband comes up with me although he doesn't ski. This is better at this point in my life, but much more costly. We may buy a place one day.

5) What's been the biggest surprise to you?
Interesting question. I've been skiing obsessively for 16 seasons now with an intense focus on technique. One surprise was how hard it was to advance. Trainers contradict each other. Or seem to. Personal feedback has been hard to get from knowledgeable people. In a lesson, if the trainer doesn't tell each person whether they are getting it right or not, how are they to know? Many trainers don't do personal feedback. That was a surprise to me.

And then there's the body. It does things I tell it not to do, and it doesn't do things I do tell it to do. It is stealthy, and keeps these mutinies secret from my controlling mind. Video is helpful for realizing when the body is doing no-nos. Personal feedback from trainers is just as good. Both are harder to get than expected.

Maintaining a technial focus while skiing is difficult. When working to embed a new movement pattern while heading down a trail, there are so many distractions that the focus is often lost. I've realized this is not going to change, and have found ways to work with it.

All in all, my learning curve has been constant, but the gains have come at a slower rate than I expected given my determination and work habit. I'm OK with that now, but earlier in my 16 years I got quite frustrated.

6) How have your friends and/or family reacted to your skiing?
Oh. No one I know is a skier. I'm alone with this passion. They tolerate my skiing, but don't join.

7) What are your skiing goals? And what do you see in your future as a skier?
I've always loved school and learning. I became a teacher in "real life." Now I'm a ski instructor. The transition was seamless. Instructors get certified at different levels. Currently I am a PSIA Level II instructor. For no reason than just because, I'd like to get my Level III. It's the highest level of certification. This will be difficult since the "skiing exam" for Level III candidates asks them to do, among other things, somepretty athletic moves, and my 69 year old body so far has refused to do them. So I am working towards Level III. Is it in my future?? Well, if I get it next year at age 70, I will be one of the few who has successfully done that.
What an inspirational account!

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
I was 48 and met a man who was an avid, excellent skier.

I skied for the first time on a school trip in 8th grade and absolutely loved it, but no one in my family skied, and I lived on Long Island...we do beach, not mountains. None of my friends skied.

3) What's been the biggest obstacle (if there is one) to your skiing? Location. I still live on eastern Long Island, so at least 4-5 hours to the nearest skiing.

After someone crashed into me and broke my leg, getting past the fear of getting hurt.

Two things: skiing with people who are better than I am. DH and all his friends have been skiing since they were little kids, and although it was sometimes demoralizing to always be the one they waited for, watching and skiing with them really helped.
Time on the hill. The first ski vacation we took was to Whitefish MT for 16 days, I skied for 14 days and took my first private lesson!

The exhilaration and excitement I feel every single time I get off the lift and start to ski!

They all thought I was crazy to continue after I broke my leg...they still think I’m nuts!

To do this as long as I am physically able!

Hammie

Certified Ski Diva
Fascinating topic - really interesting to read about other people's experiences!

I skied once in high school on a field trip, then a few more times in university. In university I had a boyfriend who was an avid skier, but his idea of "teaching" me to ski was taking me up a lift with black runs only, then leaving me part way down when I couldn't keep up. One of a great many red flags in that relationship, so I ditched the boyfriend and kept the skiing. For years though I was too busy & too broke to ski, and all I had was some truly abysmal gear from a second hand shop. I went maybe 5 or 6 other times in my 20's and 30's, and never had a lesson.

In my late 30's, by now married to a much less problematic non-skier, I decided I wanted to start skiing again, partly because my kids were old enough to start too. I was living closer to the mountains in a place that had longer winters by then, so gear and access were less of a barrier.

No one in my family skis except me - my parents actively discouraged me when I was younger because they thought it was way too dangerous.

Time! I'd love to have more days free to ski.

Being brave enough to start signing up for lessons. I was always nervous that they were for "better" skiers than me, as I was only OK with green and occasional blue runs. I always worried that I'd embarrass myself, or hold a group back, or a million other excuses triggered by insecurity.

My kids, lessons, and my (non-skier) husband. My kids both got much better than me very quickly (I knew I couldn't teach them, so they've been in lessons from the start - initially just a few times a season, but then in longer programs for the last 5 years); that pushed me to finally bite the bullet and sign up for lessons as well so that I could keep up. Initially I would take one-off lessons here & there, but 2 years ago (at age 43) I took my first multi-week lesson program. It was amazing, and I really regret not doing it sooner.

My husband, bless him, tried one lesson & decided that he didn't need that much fear or adventure in his life. He's completely supportive of the time & money that I spend on skiing, and always willing to take the kids up for lessons the weekends I'm working. He brings a book & phone, then drinks a lot of coffee without ever complaining. The majority of the weekends that I take the kids up, he & the dog happily hang out at home & watch Netflix. I think he regrets not having the opportunity to learn a lot of active skills that are easier to learn as a kid (skiing, swimming, camping) so he's very keen on our kids having those opportunities.

How completely I've been able to change my skiing with lessons. And that I kind of like the terrain park.

My kids think it's great, and I love spending that time outside with them. My parents still fret about it, but they've come around. They love getting videos of their grandkids skiing, and they've come up to the mountains a few times with us.

My goals are flexible - after a great season 2 years ago, I had a rough season last year due to some health & injury issues. I was happy just to take it easy and stay upright on snow without having to push myself. Things are better now, but I realize how hard & frustrating it can be to make concrete goals when circumstances may get in the way. I'd just like to be skiing to the best of my ability (whatever that is) for years to come.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I love reading these! You ladies are the BEST! Such courage and determination.Kudos to you all.

Does it count if I skied for a few years as a kid but then dropped it for close to 30 years?

And yes, if you left skiing for a long time and took it up again after 40, post here. It can certainly feel like you're starting all over again.

Take me, for example: Though I started skiing at 13, I only went maybe 10 times a year. Then I quit entirely in my early 20's and didn't take it up again until I was 40.

I often think how much better I'd be if I hadn't taken those years off. But I'm trying to make up for lost time: I ski almost every weekday through the season; no weekends or holidays. Today makes day 57 for 19/20. Last year I made 89, though I don't think I'll get there this year. It's fun trying, though!

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva

37. I'd become a huge World Cup ski racing fan. I'd watch the races and think, I really have to give this a shot. I saw a show once where Picabo Street got on skis after being out with a serious injury. She got to the bottom of the hill and started crying, and she was saying over and over, "I forgot how much fun skiing is." I thought, MAN, skiing must be fun. Finally my husband got tired of me saying I was going to start, and found a $99, 3 lesson + gear package at Snoqualmie, so I did that. He started again at the same time (he hadn't skied much since high school).

Also, I am a mountain nut (a serious hiker/backpacker) and needed a way to be in mountains in winter (I find snowshoeing tedious).

The expense; none of my friends downhill skied; I had plenty of other hobbies (I had a horse for many years which took most of my time and money); winter driving in our mountains is intimidating. In high school my friends and I were hugely into music so we were spending all our time at whatever all ages shows and concerts we could find, not riding the ski bus.

This isn't a huge obstacle, but driving 1-2 hours each way to ski is something that makes me think twice about whether or not I want to go. I also feel bad leaving my dog alone all day. If I lived in a ski town and had a 5 minute commute and a season pass, I'd ski a lot more.

Materially: Figuring out boots.
Psychologically: Learning to ski was just hard for me. I'm not a natural. My body is built very poorly for skiing (right ankle won't roll due to many sprains; right leg is very wonky; long femurs and torso make it so easy for me to get in the back seat). It always felt like one step forward, two steps back. I'm surprised I kept at it, really. Still, at times, skiing feels like a lot of work. But when it's good it's amazing.

Lessons and time on the hill. Finding people on forums with the same issues I have. Forums like this helped me figure out that my quad issues were actually a boot issue.

How hard it is for me to get good. I have always been pretty good in the hobbies I've had (and in academic pursuits) so it was hugely humbling to find out that a) I am not a natural at this b) I'm probably not going to progress much further than I am now. I've actually regressed. Now when I think of some stuff that I skied when I was at my best I think wow, I skied that? I don't see doing that again.

Also, that equipment makes such a huge difference. For example I fell all the time on my first pair of skis, which were 146s; the problem went away immediately when I got new skis that were 154s. My first boots had too much forward lean and my quads were exhausted all the time.

It inspired my husband to start skiing again, after a long hiatus, and now it's a big thing for us. When we met skiing was not on our radar at all and now it rules our world, at least in winter!

No goals, except to have fun. Letting go of the idea that I SHOULD have goals, that I should progress, and should want to always ski harder stuff, was liberating. So there are no more "shoulds." If I want to spend a day on blue groomers; if I only want to ski for 2 hours then go get a massage when on vacation; if the weather is miserable or if I'm not having fun for any reason and want to quit--it's all good.

Last edited:

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
I skied for a few years regularly as a child. (maybe ages 8-12?). But I stopped when my little brother was getting so much better than me. I was intimidated and I hated being cold.

I'm not really sure what made me pick it up again. My cousin and I once took our kids to a mountain for a lesson and watching the instructor who was horroble with the kids made me feel like I could do it better. But than him. Not better than a good instructor.

Weirdly my non skiing father wanted to get the grandkids on skis so we took a ski trip together and I got hooked again.

None of my friends ski so it never really crossed ,y mind. Plus I really hat being cold.

Currently it is being restricted to school breaks or having to drive hours to a mountain. I hate driving.

Fear.
But also, I'm embarrassed to say this, but I can't tell when I'm doing something right. An instructor will give me different instructions for different kinds of snow and different skis but it feels the same to me. Apparently it looks different but ... Shrug

Getting warm enough clothing.

That I am better than my husband!

My family is all in. My non skiing parents just bought a ski house.

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
@Getting Ready - Come back and finish your last question! I'm on the edge of my seat! (Well, not exactly, but it's so interesting the paths different women take to loving this sport.)

Whoops. Sorry. Life got in the way.
My goals.... hmmm... well the petty goal is to stay better than my hubs ;)

The better minded goal is to feel better on different terrain especially bumps (which my son loves) and off piste (which my daughter loves).

I hope my future includes more family skiing and more lessons

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Curiosity. I always wondered what skiing would be like, never knew anyone who skied ... except for an older sister who went one time and came home with a bruise on her hip the size of a saucer. Then I met a skier and learned there was local skiing ... it could be a one-day experience with a lesson, not a commitment.

I was 50 when I started skiing.

Skiing wasn't part of my world. My family lived in the country -- you have to be there every day to take care of gardens and animals. No time or money for vacations. Then all of the distractions of adulthood took over.

Many obstacles, including:

• Availability and cost of appropriate training
  • Time -- Mileage is a big factor in developing and ingraining skills. Mileage requires lots of time.
  • Consistency -- I never had a home mountain. When developing skills, familiarity eliminates one of the stressors.
4) What's been the hardest thing for you?

(Other than limiting these answers to a single thing?!)

Lack of peers. I knew no beginner skiers. I know few intermediate skiers. Ski enthusiasts tend to be advanced and expert skiers. It's been mostly a solo journey.

Self-doubt. Mental recovery from bad ski injuries has been a battle. I understand why some people give up skiing after an injury. I understand why some continue. So far, I'm still in the "Continue" column.

Tenacity -- in every area, whether it be learning skills, finding decent instruction, or finding my place in this culture. Skiing is not an easy thing to break into on one's own as an adult.

Initially, it was that I could ski at all -- I hate being cold and I hate falling down. I really expected it to be a once-and-done experience.

Since then -- how easy it is for skills to decline and how hard it can be to regain them. Skiing has never come naturally to me. For a downhill activity, it can be an uphill battle!

They accept it as my thing, but have zero interest in skiing, even as a topic of conversation.

I'm a technique freak, so I aspire to ski efficiently and with good form. "You got down that just fine" is not good enough.

I expect to always be a conservative skier. I'm not an adrenaline junkie. And I've learned what recovering from injury is like as a single person. I can keep my risk lower and still get what I enjoy out of skiing.

I really commend all of the adult learners here. We overcome a lot to take up skiing at 40, 50, 60.

UtahDesert

Certified Ski Diva
1. What made you start skiing? At what age?
When I was 45 we moved to a ski resort town and I resolved I was not going to be the one family who didn't ski. It was pure stubbornness and not wanting to be left behind.

2. Why didn't you start skiing earlier?
Primarily fear of heights/steeps and lack of athletic ability. (I had tried it for two or three different half-days over the years when accompanying a boyfriend or a husband but it never clicked.) I also insisted it was because skiing was so environmentally destructive (all those trees cut down!) and because any sport where you had to wear such incredibly heavy footwear was just unnatural.

I'm chicken, plain and simple.

4) What's been the hardest thing for you?
See my previous answer. Fear.

5) What's helped the most?
When I first started, the fact that we lived so close to the resort that it was easy to go every day. (And if I didn't want to drive, the shuttle stopped right outside.) Skiing became utterly natural, and the resort became like my backyard. Lately, what's helped is getting into shape with a personal trainer. Having good core and lower body strength makes me feel like I can recover from any little wobble.

That there is something physical, something athletic, that I love to go out and do, and that I'm not half bad at it.

My husband (a life-long skier) has been pleasantly surprised that I got into it, and we usually do pretty well skiing together. My daughter and I started at the same time, but of course she quickly surpassed me, and at age eleven had an obnoxious habit of lying down while waiting for me at the bottom of steeper trails. (People would stop to ask if she was all right and she would explain, pointing up at me making my way down.)

8) What are your skiing goals? And what do you see as your future as a skier?
I'd simply like to improve my form and ski more confidently on the terrain where I now ski, with perhaps a few more blacks thrown in. I don't mind slowing down in a few years, but I want to keep going and end up taking advantage of those really cheap senior rates.

Marta_P

Certified Ski Diva
My daughter expressed an interest in learning to ski (she was 5 and her best friend was the youngest in a skiing family that went every weekend). I was 42 and had never skied before.
I was very interested when I was younger, but it was too expensive. By the time my finances could handle it, I'd convinced myself that I wasn't a winter person. This kills me now, just thinking about it, as I spent the majority of my childhood winters on ice skates and racing at our local sledding hill. I have so many memories of dragging myself home cold, wet, and happy, just in time for dinner. I somehow forgot that I actually love winter!
Fear. For my first few seasons I was torn between fear (of everything: falling, snowboarders, weeds sticking out of the snow, children, pitch, you name it) and intense determination to master the basics.
Not having any friends who are (as) interested in skiing as me. My husband grew up in non-skiing countries and has zero interest in learning, or even going to the mountain. Friends have other interests and if they ski at all, see it as a "once or twice a winter" activity, rather than an obsession..
This forum - having a resource to research and ask questions. To know that there are women like me who want to embrace life and winter and the joy of pushing ourselves. My husband, who completely supports this big, expensive, time sucking habit - even though he can't share it. My daughter, who (even at 13) willingly drives 3 hours, gears up and skis with her mama every other weekend without complaint.
I feel like skiing has re-introduced me to my childhood self. I hadn't realized how much I missed that girl who was always up for something fun.
My husband and daughter have been incredibly supportive. My older sister (a long-time skier) has also been awesome. Most of my friends have no interest in skiing, or if they do, it's very casual. They seem baffled by how fully it's captured my interest.
My skiing goals are to ski safely and happily well into old age. I'd love to make some ski friends and experience the camaraderie I see so often on the mountain and am so envious of! Technically, I'd like to be able to feel confident on any/all blue runs, at any mountain. I'm about halfway there : ).

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A January ski trip with another family of young kids. Kids pizza-ed down and I thought "Oh shoot I better learn to keep up with them, they're too little to go off on their own". Started age 40.

I thought I hated the cold.

No big mountains nearby. In MI it's hills. We already tasted big mountains so now that's what we want.

Justifying lessons on our hills (I don't) so I don't improve that much.

Just getting out there as much as I can.

How much I LOVE it, the beauty, the fun, the social aspect, the peacefulness sometimes.

I made them all into skiers too. Haha.

To move/rent a condo in the mountains so I can take weekly lessons and learn to ski beautifully. I'll keep going even as a crusty ole lady.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A January ski trip with another family of young kids. Kids pizza-ed down and I thought "Oh shoot I better learn to keep up with them, they're too little to go off on their own". Started age 40.

I thought I hated the cold.

No big mountains nearby. In MI it's hills. We already tasted big mountains so now that's what we want.

Justifying lessons on our hills (I don't) so I don't improve that much.

Just getting out there as much as I can.

How much I LOVE it, the beauty, the fun, the social aspect, the peacefulness sometimes.

I made them all into skiers too. Haha.

To move/rent a condo in the mountains so I can take weekly lessons and learn to ski beautifully. I'll keep going even as a crusty ole lady.
We spend a lot of money on trips and we alternate, scuba/beach with mountain/ski. I plan on also working less and taking more time off.

newboots

Angel Diva
LOVE this thread!
I do, too. It captures something special about our internet group. There are other special aspects about us, including the experts and instructors, the young folks all excited, and experienced skiers buying condos. But this little bunch of us who were newbies long into adulthood - it's wonderful to read.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I started skiing at age 52. I had previously skied a handful of times, but never made it out of a wedge and it had been many years since my last trip.

I started REALLY skiing during my darkest hour...my 16 year old son had just passed away, due to a massive seizure. I was pretty paralyzed with deep grief...I don't remember much back then, but getting out of bed in the morning was a challenge. I would sit in front of a window for hours during the day and this went on for a couple of months.

I was staying with the man I was dating, (we had only been dating for 6 months). He is a long time, advanced skier. He was planning a 2 day trip and encouraged me to go with him. At first I resisted, thinking it would be too difficult and frivolous, but finally agreed to go. When I got off the lift, I was a bit fearful, but when I began my descent down the hill, my mind was so focused on the skiing that the grief let me go...for just a few hours I thought about nothing except making it down the hill. Skiing was a much needed respite, and in many ways, helped me on my healing journey...it still does this for me...frees my mind...and gives me great joy!

I was a single mom with 2 kids...one severely disabled. There simply wasn't the time or money...

I think my age and fear...I'm certainly not as athletic as when I was younger...not as much stamina either.

Skiing does not come naturally for me...it's been challenging to learn, for sure. I also fight with some fear factor...part of that is my SO and his whole family are amazing skiers and it's difficult to keep up with them...they sometimes take me to terrain I am not fully prepared for...a lot of times, I don't try and go off by myself...which can be pure bliss!

Skiing with SO and his family...they have taught me so much and they are always encouraging me, gently giving me little tips here and there.

How much I love to ski and how much I've improved! I'm also surprised at how exhilarating a challenge on the slope can be...pushing myself to do things I thought I wasn't capable of doing.

Most of my friends do not ski, and they think I am somewhat crazy to do so...especially after my fall in December where I sustained a concussion, chest contusion and 2 spinal fractures...they ask "You are going to quit skiing, right?" I look at them with a puzzled expression and reply NO. I've been out a few times lately and despite a couple of PTSD moments, it's been so wonderful. My 78 year old mom is a beautiful skier and she is very supportive!

I will never be a great skier, and that is ok...I am 60 years old now and it is my wish to ski as long as I can...I see myself skiing into my 80s.

Side: I wasn't planning to stay long term with my SO after my son passed away...but 8 years later, I'm still here at the house with him.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna