• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Flying w Skis + Which Skis to Bring

marzNC

Angel Diva
I kind of wish I would get help at 5'4"! lol Getting it up is easy for me, but when trying to get it out I'm always worried I'm going to drop it on someone's head :rotf: Luckily that hasn't happened yet. It can feel heavy to pull down after sitting on a plane for hours though.
When I don't feel like asking for help getting the boot suitcase down, I stand on the aisle seat. Get some looks, but I can pull out the boot suitcase pretty quick. That's when starting weightlifting for ski conditioning and bone building several years ago pays off. :smile:

The main reason I pay for Early Bird on Southwest starting a ski trip is to make it easier to get a seat with an open overhead bin right above me. I generally sit in a row towards the back of the middle third of the plane. I noticed that SW employees tend to pick that area too.

ziggyzagski

Certified Ski Diva
That's relatively early for snow coverage in JH. I wouldn't bother bringing powder skis.

When I was at JH in Dec 2020, the free demo tent at Casper was open. Idea is to test out skis off the Casper lift.

Did you know that @snoWYmonkey teaches at JH?
I'll probably bring the Kenjas then! I had no idea there was such thing as free demos! I've rented demo ski at ski shops, which gets pretty expensive, but I'll definitely look into free demos.

I've also always wanted to take a class or a women's clinic to improve technique, so I'll look into it! TY :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'll probably bring the Kenjas then! I had no idea there was such thing as free demos! I've rented demo ski at ski shops, which gets pretty expensive, but I'll definitely look into free demos.

I've also always wanted to take a class or a women's clinic to improve technique, so I'll look into it! TY :smile:
There are a few destination resorts with a free demo tent right on the mountain. Deer Valley has a Rossignol yurt. Heavenly had something when I was there in 2000. The JH demo tent last season had quite a variety of brands available. Even though my ski buddy and I could only check out skis on a groomer, it was still fun. He was actively looking for a new pair of general purpose skis. I got to try a Black Crow model, which was a brand I didn't have any experience with before.

When I decide to rent demo skis for a powder day, I almost always switch out skis midday. Sometimes I'll change in the late afternoon as well. Then it because a "personal demo day" and not just a day paying for rental skis. My ski buddy and I did that at Alta in Dec when we lucked out and caught a powder storm. We skied there after leaving JH.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
F

In 2022, JH has their Elevate Women's Ski Week Jan 17-18 and 20-21. Volkl is a sponsor and historically you could demo Volkl skis as part of the camp price.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use a 50L Marker or Dakine backback for my carry on. It holds my boots, helmet and assorted items. I've got mad packing skills and am able to pack a full ski outfit, mittens and goggles. Just remember to pack a garbage liner/bag for your wet boots for the return flight. I own the hard sided double Sportube and the soft sided Kulkea Kantaja. Both have so much room for my 1 pair of skis, poles, clothes and barrage of ski items, but I love the Kulkea despite it not having any wheels. The design is easy to open/close which I appreciate and I bet TSA does too.

Last edited:

ziggyzagski

Certified Ski Diva
@marzNC Thank you!! That would be awesome, though I did just get new skis and really don't need to be tempted into getting another haha

@bsskier Have you ever been? That overlaps w the dates I plan to be in JH so I am considering it. I haven't had much formal training since I started skiing, so even though I'm comfortable in most conditions and all groomers, I'm sure my technique could use some work.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC Thank you!! That would be awesome, though I did just get new skis and really don't need to be tempted into getting another haha

@bsskier Have you ever been? That overlaps w the dates I plan to be in JH so I am considering it. I haven't had much formal training since I started skiing, so even though I'm comfortable in most conditions and all groomers, I'm sure my technique could use some work.

I didn't do the Jackson Hole Elevate Women's Ski Camp in 2019, and chose the the Women's Clinic at Big Sky since that's my regular location and it was within my window of availability. I live in the southeast US so my ski trips have to be well planned out outside of multiple trips to BS. I'm a huge Volkl fan, and really wanted to attend but it wasn't in the cards. I did a lot of research though and it's well regarded.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ziggyzagski Hello and what a fun trip!

I teach in Jackson and traveled to 11 resorts in 12 days in Japan a few years back.

One pair. For Jackson the Shevas might be the ticket if you plan on mostly off piste skiing which is the name of the game. You can rent wider if it really dumps. I ski mostly 70 to 80s for teaching on groomer but often bring out my 106 or 115s for powder days. Off piste can get bumpy so a ski that handles moguls is pretty sweet if the powder is lacking.

Rentals are usually easy to get, even at the demo tent.

Feel free to PM me if I can help with any other questions even non snow related.

ziggyzagski

Certified Ski Diva
@ziggyzagski Hello and what a fun trip!

I teach in Jackson and traveled to 11 resorts in 12 days in Japan a few years back.

One pair. For Jackson the Shevas might be the ticket if you plan on mostly off piste skiing which is the name of the game. You can rent wider if it really dumps. I ski mostly 70 to 80s for teaching on groomer but often bring out my 106 or 115s for powder days. Off piste can get bumpy so a ski that handles moguls is pretty sweet if the powder is lacking.

Rentals are usually easy to get, even at the demo tent.

Feel free to PM me if I can help with any other questions even non snow related.
Amazing, thank you! I might certainly take you up on some advice later down when I think about whether or not I want to do the clinic at JH in January!

I'm also hopping to do a week in Japan this coming Feb in Niseko since it's on the Ikon Pass. If you have any recommendations on other resorts that were amazing, I'm also interested in exploring places not on the pass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly