• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Flights cancelations everywhere. What are your experiences?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
They were offering $10k here at our airport the other day, for a flight from GR to Minneapolis! it's gotta be only about an hour air time, tops. Told DH if we were ever on one offering that kind of cash I’d take it so fast his head would spin. Of course, they started at $5k, which I’d have taken, and then been really mad when the later people got $10k.
Saw that on national news. Delta airlines.

marzNC

Angel Diva
They were offering $10k here at our airport the other day, for a flight from GR to Minneapolis! it's gotta be only about an hour air time, tops. Told DH if we were ever on one offering that kind of cash I’d take it so fast his head would spin. Of course, they started at $5k, which I’d have taken, and then been really mad when the later people got $10k.
Wow! That's a huge number! Used to be that $500 was a high offer.

As I understand it, an airline has to give everyone who takes the offer the same amount if they have to up the ante to get enough empty seats to accommodate people with paid tickets.

Jenny

Angel Diva

As I understand it, an airline has to give everyone who takes the offer the same amount if they have to up the ante to get enough empty seats to accommodate people with paid tickets.
I didn’t know that last part - would be the fair thing to do.

Apparently there was a group of 8 who would have taken it if they knew there were 8 people needed, but they didn’t announce how many were needed until it was too late for the whole group to get in on it.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
That’s an easy morning’s drive! Edit - ok, 8 hour drive but still…. I’d do it!

Jilly

Staff member
All of this along with the news channels is making me think it would have been better to drive to Florida in 2 weeks.

I'm changing luggage plans and taking a larger carry on with more important stuff incase the luggage doesn't get there. Sounds like going skiing with our boots....I need my race kit, my cameras, my laptop, my brace.....

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I saw a news story this week that basically said flying to Europe out of Boston right now is a really hellish time. Not advised and you better have a healthy dose of patience packed with you if you are going to attempt it.

Oh, crap. We're flying to Dublin out of Logan in September. Hope it's better by then. Curious, though -- we have Global Entry. Anyone know if this is helping right now?

Jenny

Angel Diva
That’s an easy morning’s drive! Edit - ok, 8 hour drive but still…. I’d do it!
Yeah, the lake makes it a bit longer, but there’s the car ferry that leaves from only an hour away and with the cash I’d have available . . . We took it once and had a lovely day for the trip, but it can get wavy out there.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva

Not so, at least I don’t think so, my American flight sends you a message beforehand asking if you would be interested in getting bumped if needed and then you pick how much you want. My choice was $300, $400 or $500. They didn’t need my seat after all.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, crap. We're flying to Dublin out of Logan in September. Hope it's better by then. Curious, though -- we have Global Entry. Anyone know if this is helping right now?
I don’t think so. The delays are an airline issue, not a customs issue. With Global Entry you’ll move faster through customs once landing in the US (so maybe you won’t miss a tight connection?) but you need to get here first. :redface:

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I flew from Reno to Rochester in June with no major issues. My flight was overnight from Reno on United - this was not planned far in advance, since I flew back for a funeral. I had a middle economy seat from Reno to Chicago and felt squished. The flight from Chicago to Rochester was fine and both flights were on time. On the way back, I flew Southwest from Buffalo. It was direct to Vegas and the plane only stopped and continued to Reno. The plane was delayed in getting to Buffalo, but I still made it to Reno on time!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not so, at least I don’t think so, my American flight sends you a message beforehand asking if you would be interested in getting bumped if needed and then you pick how much you want. My choice was $300, $400 or $500. They didn’t need my seat after all.
My impression from a few years ago is that people might be offered different amounts . . . as the airline gets more desperate to find enough volunteers. But everyone who actually gets bumped for an offer gets the highest amount. Could be wrong though.

Sounds like it's up to the airline to decide how they want to handle compensation for volunteers. There are much clearer rules about the compensation for someone who has a confirmed seat, has arrived on time, and gets bumped.

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 7.00.01 PM.png

Christy

Angel Diva
Consumer advocate Christopher Elliott just wrote a column about what rights consumers do and don't have re cancelled flights. Worth a read. His "Travel Troubleshooter" column runs in a lot of papers so maybe some have seen this.

This is interesting, too, though I wish he'd looked at more than the 4 biggies.

mustski

Angel Diva
No, global entry only helps you avoid the customs line upon return to the USA. It’s worth it’s weight in gold in my opinion. I also recommend a hotel room near the airport where you land. Skip driving until the next day! It’s also worth it’s weight in gold.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm flying to Florida on the 25th to see my Mom, Southwest Airlines from Manchester, NH, to Fort Myers. I'm a bit concerned because I have to change planes going down and coming back, so that gives me four flights to worry about instead of just two.

I'll let you know what happens.

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
I'm not changing planes, but I hope my luggage comes with me. I am taking a large carry-on.

KWlovessnow

Angel Diva
My husband has global entry and recently (April 2022) took a trip to Ireland. Going to Ireland was no problem, but going through security and customs in Ireland to return to the US was a complete nightmare. He said the lines were hours long and he barely made his flight (and it was delayed). Just give yourself way more time than normal. Have a fun trip!

mustski

Angel Diva
^^^ global entry only helps when you are back on us soil - you get to use quick kiosks instead of the usual customs lines. The name is a faux thing … it’s not really global. It let me bypass a 2 hr line in LA though … so no complaints!

Jilly

Staff member
The Canadian version is called NEXUS. It's only good for the US. Right now it's a 2 year wait for the interview unless you can get one at a border city in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna