• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Flex too high, am I doomed

Jilly

Staff member
We have a lovely 13% HST in Ontario. Not all provinces have the same. Quebec is even higher. If a retailer is selling on line then they get away with some of the taxes. But if they are importing to another country that's a different matter. I used to buy shirts from Land's End. An American company. I would get charged the exchange on my credit card. Then when I picked up the package at Canada Post I would pay the duty and taxes.

Interesting @SallyCat . I still think that this particular boot is not the boot for @Muffy2, based on the characteristic of this boot.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wouldn't make too many assumptions about the 110 based on the men's 120 . The 120 is a softer version of the men's 130, but it's also more than that. It's also positioned as a budget boot, where Lange went with a much cheaper plastic (PU) that's much heavier, so Lange had to manage weight and performance in a way that they don't with the Grilamid 110 and 130. It also uses a less performance-oriented liner than the 110, and the 110 is a step under the 130. The men's 130 uses monoinjection plastics, which allows for the most consistent, smooth flex, but at the cost of being able to get in and out of them as easily. The 120 and 110 both use dual injection molding with a softer plastic in certain zones for easier on-and-off. The men's 130 skis like an inbound boot, but the 120 doesn't have quite the same reputation, and getting into the construction, it's easy to see why.

The women's 110 is a little more like the 130 in construction. But there's not really an authority source that compares boots across brands. We don't have our own version of Jonathan Ellsworth at Blister who fits happily in just about any LV boot on the market and has owned and skied all of them with detailed notes. And even if we did, men have 7 boot flexes across the entire market with brands using almost identical flex runs and consistent prices (ie. 120 boots are almost always cheaper than any other 130 boot on the wall). Women have 13 flexes. Brands have 0 consistency in the flexes chosen (like one like will go 90, 100, 110, 120, and a competing one will only include 90 and 120). Flex and pricing aren't as clear between brands.

I checked a few review that indicate the XT's a twinge softer than the RX110. Likewise for the XT3 110 feeling stiffer than the flex indicated. Based on the construction, my gut tells me it's likely closer to a "true" 110. With the Grilamid shell, there's not the same weight incentive to soften the boot.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
take the boots back and have the bootfitter soften them up. A boot's flex can be softened, but not stiffened. Once softened, it's permanent.
That is possible, yes, but ... take the boots back to who? The person who sold them can't soften them. Does that shop even have a bootfitter? If not, she has to find a bootfitter and pay that person to do work that should have been part of a bootfitting process. Or hear an actual bootfitter tell her they are the wrong boots for her and she gets to suck it up by either skiing in poorly fitted boots until she's sick of it or just cave in right up front, throw those boots in a corner, and buy yet another pair of boots.

The first step is to find a bootfitter. If the original shop has one, talk to them. If they don't have one, I'd return the boots, unused, for a full refund and start elsewhere.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi I went to the shops and a staff member helped me fit into a pair of boots. She gave me a few to try and the best fitting ended up being a pair of Lange xt 110 Lv womens boots which i've linked below.
.... [/URL]
We don't know what "shops" this skier went to, nor do we know whether the "staff member" was a bootfitter or not. We do know the staff member thought the boots would soften up with use, which is not true. So perhaps this was not a true bootfitting experience, just a quick purchase. If that's the case, it's likely that the boots are not the best choice. Getting the right boots is not easy, as we all know here.

@Muffy2, I see you have been back since starting this thread, but you haven't responded. I hope you will us more information so we can help you figure out whether these are the right boots for you.

Jilly

Staff member
Please read this before you go....Go in to the shop, armed and dangerous with knowledge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly