• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fleece vs. Neoprene balaclava for cold day

DanniAB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm having a hard time deciding between a Fleece or Neoprene balaclava for those chilly Alberta days.

I have never owned either so I have no idea which is best - pros/cons. etc.

What do you like?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My helmet is super warm. I wear a Buffs bandanna for my face and neck. On exceptionally cold days, I wear a smartwool balaclava under my helmet because it's so thin - but I inevitably get the face part all wet, and then as soon as I go indoors, game over.

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
I have a neoprene face mask from Seirus that I pull out on really cold days. It is reversible so you can flip it over if it gets wet.

Normally I wear a smartwool balaclava under my helmet. I like it better than the more bulky fleece because I can zip the neck of my jacket all the way up while wearing it.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My helmet is super warm. I wear a Buffs bandanna for my face and neck. On exceptionally cold days, I wear a smartwool balaclava under my helmet because it's so thin - but I inevitably get the face part all wet, and then as soon as I go indoors, game over.

I should clarify - I then wear the balaclava PLUS the bandanna.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I got frost bite a few years ago, so I try to be very careful now. A Buff just doesn't do it for me.

Most days I wear a fleece, but on very cold days I need something more. This past season I found this and it's great:

https://www.facesavermask.com

Anyway, it looks kind of weird, but it covers up most of your face -- except for your mouth -- so you don't get the condensation problems you get with conventional face masks. I wear a neck gaiter as well, and I really stay warm.

Jilly

Staff member
So, it's typically -20C with a wind chill at Tremblant in January ......I wear a thin fleece liner under my helmet. I have a really neat fleece with windstopper bandana that I picked up years ago and can't find again! It was made by ironside and has the CSIA logo on it. The newer version didn't have the windstopper in it. I've tried a neoprene face mask, but I got the wrong size and it was too big. I also add a nose pinch which velcro's to my goggles to cover my nose.

After that, its going inside as much as I can stand.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I found that my ears got really cold when skiing in the northeast last winter. What solve the problem for me was a beanie under my helmet. I have tried the full head cover that also keeps the neck warm but it's too uncomfortable. A Turtle fur neck warmer works for me.

mustski

Angel Diva
Despite my SoCal address, I have a buff, a fleece neck gator, and a neoprene face mask. They each serve different purposes. My buff is great for local dry, windy, semi-cold days. I can pull it up over my head, hood style or just wear it for neck warmth. It is super thin so it fits under all jackets while zipped. I use the fleece on really cold days for the purpose of keeping neck/and or head extra warm in the same way as the buff. If I pull it up over my mouth/nose while on the lift I risk condensation and freezing - (i.e.: cold!) The neoprene is my choice for blizzarding weather or super cold days where I want to cover my nose/mouth. I have the full head, nose and mouth covered type of neoprene mask and I love, love, love it on a cold and/or blizzardy day. I don't have a picture but it has a hoodie type top that fits tightly over your head and holds it in place perfectly.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I swear by Icebreaker's flexi chute! you should check them out.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Like @Jilly, I deal with an especially cold climate. Therefore, I have a veritable "wardrobe" of liners and face protection items. These are relatively small-ticket items, so it would probably be a good idea for you to have an assortment, especially given your location.

Good face protection can really save an otherwise too-cold/windy day.

I usually have at least 3 in my boot bag, and one goes in my pocket for changing out mid-day, or changing to a lighter/heavier one.

I think I have at least one of everything mentioned above!

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree, an assortment is the best way to go. Usually my turtlefur fleece neck warmer is sufficient. Unless I'm skiing Sugarloaf, lol.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Unless I'm skiing Sugarloaf, lol.
Well, then, you can imagine my head/face covering wardrobe. Some years, the full head fleece balaclava does not get shed until calendar turns to April. And even beyond, some years.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a big fan, on snow days, of bringing a second face thing in my pocket for after lunch. Otherwise, after you take the thing off, it is just so miserably cold and wet putting it back on again.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I prefer wool, partly because it's less bulky, and also because it doesn't get as nasty as fleece when it's cold and wet. (And it dries much faster under a heater in the restroom!)

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Ooh, we're spoiled on the west coast….except I have to say that Crested Butte is the coldest place I've ever skied…….

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
A silk balaclava is another great option to add warmth without bulk. Easy to stick in a pocket and takes up very little room.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
A silk balaclava is another great option to add warmth without bulk. Easy to stick in a pocket and takes up very little room.
Yes, thanks… that is a great idea as sometimes I just like my neck covered, but it's not freezing cold.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I prefer wool, partly because it's less bulky, and also because it doesn't get as nasty as fleece when it's cold and wet. (And it dries much faster under a heater in the restroom!)
Totally agree and it doesn't stink as much. Neoprene I think would be my last option for using under a ski helmet - it takes forever to dry out, holds odor like no other and you have to handwash it. I would definately go crazy having neoprene around my neck with a helmet strap all day too.

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, then, you can imagine my head/face covering wardrobe. Some years, the full head fleece balaclava does not get shed until calendar turns to April. And even beyond, some years.

We had a long weekend trip there this April, it was bitterly cold!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
For cold Alberta days, my favorite is a merino wool balaclava that I have – it is from outdoor research. I love it because it's thin, dries quickly, and I rarely get sweaty from it. I can't even wear a neoprene balaclava without getting sweaty and fogging my goggles on cold cold days. On top of the merino wool facemask, I usually wear wool hat with a fleece lining. that's it really – and I've worn that down to -32 Celsius here with no problem.rarely do I ever actually wear the wool hat. Or the wool balaclava. Usually, I just wear a merino wool liner underneath my helmet. That's more than enough for down to about -20 or 25 C.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna