• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fleece lined ski pants

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
I have a pair of strafe alpha belle pants from a few years ago and I love them but I am pondering a warmer jacket for cold days and the color of the pants I have won’t match. Unless I buy a black jacket which is not my style. Obviously the solution is new pants and new jacket, right? (This is not obvious at all to my check book). The newer stafe belle is not fleece lined. Wondering if there are other options for a fleece lined pant or bib.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have an older pair of Columbia ski shell type pants that actually came with removable fleece liners. There are even interior waist loopholes to keep the fleece liner interior in place. The only # on the tag is PU 849511. I found them in a Columbia outlet. You may want to call Columbia and see if they’ve got a version available.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve always wondered about fleece lined pants. I would think a smooth lining would be better for layering, that they would go on and off easier.

Jilly

Staff member
I've seen fleeced lined pants, but they were more for walking your dog, not sports. I have a pair I picked up at Costco under the sunice label. No don't even think they are waterproof.

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
I’ve always wondered about fleece lined pants. I would think a smooth lining would be better for layering, that they would go on and off easier.
I’ve never had any issue with my strafe pants. They say you can wear them without a base layer. I never have but they go on fine over merino baselayers and sometimes multiple baselayers. They are a looser fit though.

Maybe I don't really need the fleece because I wear baselayers but they really are cozy.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's more affordable for brands to do regular polyfill insulation since they have to sew in a lining anyways for 2-layer waterproofing (outer fabric and membrane get laminated together, separate lining is sewn in to protect the membrane from the inside. Might as well stuff it with insulation). High loft polar fleece is a more open knit that doesn't protect the membrane from dirt and oils that degrade it in comparison to a tighter knit or slick, satin-y weave. So either you have a less durable product, or you pay more to sew in both a regular lining and fleece lining.

But options exist. Marmot Cirel has a layer of Polartec Alpha Direct on the inside. They only ran for a year and have been sitting on clearance racks for 2-3 seasons now. The star ratings seem positive, so not sure what happened from an inventory and demand planning standpoint to keep them so heavily stocked. The Cirel jacket has images of the inside of the jacket so you can check it out and compare to your Strafes.

Arc'teryx also does a fleece-y, flannel-y backer. Theirs is more expensive since it's a 3 layer construction (outer layer, membrane, and inner lining all get laminated together to feel like one single piece of fabric). Their inner layer is tighter and thinner than polar fleece, and it's "peached" or "brushed." It's still very much a shell pant, but the inside is softer and has a little bit of warmth.

I'd definitely wear a base layer under any of them. Bases are designed to wick moisture and dry quickly, and none of these options are going to do that for you if you get toasty or have moments of nervous sweat, and that moisture can really chill you once you cool down.

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
It's more affordable for brands to do regular polyfill insulation since they have to sew in a lining anyways for 2-layer waterproofing (outer fabric and membrane get laminated together, separate lining is sewn in to protect the membrane from the inside. Might as well stuff it with insulation). High loft polar fleece is a more open knit that doesn't protect the membrane from dirt and oils that degrade it in comparison to a tighter knit or slick, satin-y weave. So either you have a less durable product, or you pay more to sew in both a regular lining and fleece lining.

But options exist. Marmot Cirel has a layer of Polartec Alpha Direct on the inside. They only ran for a year and have been sitting on clearance racks for 2-3 seasons now. The star ratings seem positive, so not sure what happened from an inventory and demand planning standpoint to keep them so heavily stocked. The Cirel jacket has images of the inside of the jacket so you can check it out and compare to your Strafes.

Arc'teryx also does a fleece-y, flannel-y backer. Theirs is more expensive since it's a 3 layer construction (outer layer, membrane, and inner lining all get laminated together to feel like one single piece of fabric). Their inner layer is tighter and thinner than polar fleece, and it's "peached" or "brushed." It's still very much a shell pant, but the inside is softer and has a little bit of warmth.

I'd definitely wear a base layer under any of them. Bases are designed to wick moisture and dry quickly, and none of these options are going to do that for you if you get toasty or have moments of nervous sweat, and that moisture can really chill you once you cool down.
Thank you! I will look at the options. My strafes are lined with alpha direct.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna