• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Flattering jeans for skier's thighs?

Gumbelina

Certified Ski Diva
Any divas have recommendations for jeans that fit and flatter skier's thighs? I went jeans shopping last night and left depressed and empty handed - I could either go up a size and look frumpy/too loose in hips/waist, or else the jeans were waay too tight around my thighs. Any suggestions for dress pants would be great too, my work wardrobe is starting to look a little less work-appropriate since my dress pants are fitting rather tight in the thighs too.

alyeskaluv

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski thighs - a blessing and a curse! I took up downhill skiing, figure skating, and x-country skiing within a few years of each other and man, did my thighs get strong . . . and tough to fit into most pants.

I like AG (Adriano Goldschmied) Jeans for the high end denim - they are cut for curves, but don't gap too much at the waist. J Crew also makes some excellent denim that fits in the waist and the thighs - their stretch trouser jeans are especially nice.

I am an attorney, so I have to have a stable of work pants too, and for these I rely on Banana Republic - they fit well in the thigh and many come in a stretch wool blend that has enough give to fit the thighs nicely. I also love Nordstrom's in-house suit collection Semantiks - again, it has a bit of stretch, and is affordable and durable.

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try Lucky Brand - I think it is their easy fit, with a boot cut. They have a small amount of spandex in the denim and that really helps alot! Finding jeans can be really frustrating so good luck!!

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only jeans that seem to fit me right are from The Gap. I think the ones I wear are their "curvy low rise" model...they aren't really low don't worry! Just to the belly button. They aren't too tight or too lose and the length is just about right...I get the "short" because of my inseam and they're only a touch too long depending on the shoes I wear. Plenty of colors as well and they can be dressed up or down a bit.

-veggielasagna

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I swear by Gap "long and lean" - seems counterintuitive but they're great. I am short-waisted, longer legged and have the power thighs. Long and lean have slight stretch and low waist without showing more than I care to at my age!

For dress pants, I tend to lean toward Banana Republic or (if you get to Canada) RW & Co

Jilly

Staff member
Thunder thighs, ah yes, a curse. I've fallen in love with Eddie Bauer jeans. I think they go by curvy too.

As for dress pants for work and we're dress casual - Northern Reflections.

Both companies have websites and online shopping if you can't make it to Canada.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ann Taylor Loft has some great slacks. They have a variety of cuts as as well. My body is in transition so these days I don't want to spend much on jeans so Target is my friend. Once I hit my goal weight one of my plans is to buy a fabulous pair of jeans, no matter the cost.

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I secnd Ann Taylor Loft and Banana Republic for dress pants; they both have a variety of fits and if you can get to a BR outlet, you can get a lot of stuff for not a lot of cash! Obviously, sticking with a wider trouser leg is going to be more comfortable and flattering to muscular thighs.

In terms of jeans, I would agree that GAP has some that seem to fit better in the thighs. But again, a jean with a trouser fit will also be more forgiving in the thigh.

I haven't had this done before, but having seen many episodes of What Not to Wear, have you thought about tailoring? It won't be cheap to take in a pair of pants, but it might be a viable option if you're still having too much trouble finding pants that fit both your waist and your thighs. Good luck!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I second the rec for Gap Long & Lean jeans. They're my favorite "regular" jeans. I also like Seven for All Mankind jeans a lot, but they're $$$. I could never afford to pay actual retail price for them, but I've found them at Costco for a huge discount a couple of times and snapped them up! I don't have *huge* thighs, but they're definitely bigger than your normal person's, and I also have a pretty small waist. Both of those brands fit me really well.

amanda

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try Lucky Brand - I think it is their easy fit, with a boot cut. They have a small amount of spandex in the denim and that really helps alot! Finding jeans can be really frustrating so good luck!!

I strongly second the Lucky suggestion. Lucky jeans are actually shaped like a woman is shaped, with extra room in the thigh and butt area but a narrow waist. And the little bit of stretch helps gloss over any issues in the fit. They'll cost you more than Gap jeans will but not as much as Seven, Citizen, or Paige. It's well worth the money if they fit right. Can you tell that I'm a jeanaholic :becky:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Where do you get Lucky? Between the skiing and cycling... well, you know. The closest I found was ONE pair of Style & Co from Macys, but when I went back to get more, none of the others (same style and size) fit the same!! Grr!

Acrophobia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where do you get Lucky? Between the skiing and cycling... well, you know. The closest I found was ONE pair of Style & Co from Macys, but when I went back to get more, none of the others (same style and size) fit the same!! Grr!

I see you're from eastern WA. If you ever make it West, there's a Lucky Jeans store in the Bellevue Square mall.

For me, buying jeans involves trying on a bazillion pairs. Fits vary so much even within manufacturers that I've never found a brand that consistently works. If you go to a specialty jeans store, be aware that they will recommend a very tight fit. It looks good, but gets pretty uncomfortable after a while.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll go with the chorus on Gap "long and lean" jeans. I bought a pair of them and a pair of "Essential" jeans at the same time. I thought the E would be my everyday pair, with the L&L as my "evening" pair. Well, I ended up wearing the L&L all the time. Both have some stretch in them, so they will fit the thighs great, and the rise is not too low and not too high, just right.
I do also have a pair of Lucky "Easy Rider" jeans in black. They are Lucky's mid-rise, and are actually lower than the Gap jeans. But, they are really my "special occasion" jeans. I have a Lucky outlet store here in Park City, and there is a Lucky store down in Salt Lake City. I'm "lucky" I guess. You can go to the luckybrand.com website and do a store locator for the places closest to you.

amanda

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

We have a Lucky store here in Denver, but department stores and boutiques also carry them. They're website has a store locator, and if there isn't a store in your area you might be able to call them to find out what retailers in your area carry them.

alyeskaluv

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lucky has stores and they are also sold places like Macy's.

Another good brand is Big Star jeans, which are sold at The Buckle. They used to be more adult-friendly and were pretty much only in women's boutiques, and they didn't have any crazy pocket designs/rips/tears/whiskering etc. They changed it up a few years ago and are now made more for the teen to college set, though there are still quite a few styles that are nice for adults.

www.luckybrand.com
www.buckle.com

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
I guess depending on your body style...but I LOVE Seven for all Mankind jeans. They are a luxury for me of course, because they're $200 plus a pair - but they are great. I got some 3 years ago and they finally wore out completely - but I wore them all the time. Especially the NON Stretch ones...those are the best. They make your butt look awesome. I'm not a little girl, i'm about 5'8", mostly legs...and definitely skier's thighs.

I also really love True Religion jeans. Also expensive - also great.

I have a pair of each arriving in the mail today - woo hoo!! It's been so long since I bought new jeans! I splurged.:eyebrows:

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

If you have Lord and Taylor in the area, they sell them there.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do the brand stores do [free] hemming? I know some of the department stores do. I've tried on Lucky jeans before, but they're all so long, even the short ones. My problems: short legs, built thighs, no butt, and sometimes a tummy. I've a pair of Citizens jeans that fit pretty well. Have to admit - they're my first premium denim jeans. I finally got them b/c a girlfriend that I think of as an older sister pointed out that my Banana Republic jeans were too big. Sigh.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a pair of Old Navys that I bought at Goodwill. I'm not keen on the bell bottoms cuz they make me feel like I'm 14, but otherwise, the fit is perfect and they make my bum look stunning (quite a feat!). I'm not usually a brand-namer, but the fit on these is just....well, it's just.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I swear by Gap "long and lean" - seems counterintuitive but they're great. I am short-waisted, longer legged and have the power thighs. Long and lean have slight stretch and low waist without showing more than I care to at my age!
These are my absolute favorite, too! If you have an outlet near you, check them out for great deals. I've never paid full retail for mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna