• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fischer Vacuum Fit Boots

MissySki

Angel Diva
I figured I'd start a new thread for this topic in case anyone is interested in the new Fischer Vacuum boots because though I've posted it elsewhere, it's kind of buried in an old thread about my painful boots from last year! Please see below for my the fit process I went through for the boots and how they feel so far. I'm looking forward to posting a more thorough review when I actually get to ski them, though that won't be for a little while now since I'm in the Northeast. :dance:

October 13, 2011:
Sooooo, I officially got the Fischer Trinity Vacuum 110 boot!! The flex was good for me, and I found out that they are much less stiff than my Langes from last year.

When I first put on the boot to try just for shell fit and then in the liner, the first thing I noticed was how comfortable they were and how light they were. I want to say the figure is that they are actually 25% lighter than a normal boot because of the new material. My bootfitter thought this would be the best option for me based on my troublesome feet.

The fitting process:

First thing he did was rearrange the buckles, not sure what that entailed as he went in back to use some tools I assume. Then I put the boots back on and stood up on the Fischer system in these grooves. Then we set the forward lean and foot spacing.

Next I got off and took off the boots. The shells alone went into the oven and baked for ~12 mins. While they were cooking, I had padding placed on each side of the bony prominences on my ankles and the 6th toe and the opposite bone near the big toe. There were also toe caps to put on. Then a nylon stocking was put on to keep everything in its place.

The timer then dings for the boot shells which now look like putty (well certain parts of it), it's amazing how maleable they become!! He then inserted the liners with my footbeds in them and I slipped my feet in, being careful not to flex because of how maleable the plastic was. Let's just say this was extremely uncomfortable with all the padding!!!!! That's actually an understatement, I mean the boots fit pretty snuggly before all the padding, so you can only imagine how tight/bordering on painful with hard pads digging in places that it was!

Next comes cold packs wrapped around each boot and then the pressure bag is zipped on. Then with all this you step back onto the system into the metal slots and lean into the previously set forward lean notches. The zippered bags around each boot are then connected to the vacuum source. You can then set the pressure for 100psi (sport fit) 200psi (performance fit) or 300 psi (race fit).. He did 260 psi for me based on the very narrow heels and achilles tendons I have. Then you just stand for ~10 mins. while the vacuum/cooling process does its thing. It felt very cool to sense the whole boot actually contouring to your calf and foot! It also felt uncomfortable and bordered on painful because hey that is ALOT of pressure, but hey if it works I'm okay with some initial pain!!! Really the only spots that hurt were due to the hard padding being crushed against your boney areas.

Once the times goes off, everything relaxes and I stepped down and was helped out of the boots, again being careful not to flex them because the plastic needs to cure for 12 hours after the whole process. He was able to also show me the inside of one shell where you could see the outline of my achilles and you could also see the curves of my padded ankles on from the outside of the shell.. pretty amazing!!

Since I need to have my hotronics put in, they kept my boots so they could cure before they start messing around with them and I pick them up this coming weekend. I'll then get to try them on for the first time and flex them without all of the padding, so I cannot wait to feel the fit!! I hope it's great! There is still a chance to need some work done once I ski them and all, but this should get me alot closer to where I need to be right from the get go. Also, you can remold the boot up to 5 times, so if there is any weight gain, pregnancy, you just want a tighter or looser fit, you sell the boot to someone else, etc. you can remold it again down the road.

All in all a VERY VERY cool experience! If anyone is thinking about checking them out, I'd urge you to do so. If anything wasn't clear or you have any questions about the process I'd be glad to tell you what I can!

Update: October 22, 2011

I picked up my new boots today!! I tried them on when I got to the boot shop and all I can say is WOW! I literally said to my bootfitter "Umm I don't know how to say this, but I almost feel like they are too comfortable???" Never thought I'd say that about a ski boot! (Mind you he told me that he had someone else say the exact same thing recently after getting the boot vacuum fit, so I'm not crazy!) Basically he said that since it is contoured to every spot on my foot/leg etc. that I have essentially no hot spots or pressure points of any sort, it just all contours with my anatomy. Of course he also said, now we have to see how they feel when I ski so we can assess from there since there are so few people who have skied them yet on the consumer level, gosh I cannot wait to try them out on the snow!!

I will also say for those of you who have also complained of super skinny heels, low insteps and a wide forefoot like I have.. I've never felt anything like this where every piece of my foot has even contact with the liner and that's without cranking down my buckles at all.

So far I am extremely pleased and optimistic for the upcoming ski season with these boots. Phil at Ski Stop in Westwood, MA has been so great to work with on these boots and is very knowledgeable, if anyone in the area is interested in them I'd definitely recommend checking them out! I'll let you know how they feel when I get to ski them!

Oh and another really cool thing is you can totally see the shape of my ankle bones in the plastic of the boot and how it comes in a ton around certain parts of my foot and leg yet stays out for my forefoot etc. Sorry if I am babbling at this point, but it is just sooooo cool to me, what exciting new technology!

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A great write up, thanks for posting. Something I may consider for the future.

Enjoy your new boots this season - keep us posted how you get on with them!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
+1. :thumbsup:
I have been following the "awful boot pain" thread/issue with interest since it appeared. Delighted to read the outcome and will continue to follow the Fischer vacuum technology to see if it becomes the next great thing in boot customizing. If these boots work out as well as they seem to have for you thus far, I have a feeling that many will be lining up, and Fischer will have "hit one out of the park." Over the decades, the attempts to customize in this way with assorted materials has evolved, waxed (in one manufacturer's case, literally!), and waned. Maybe this is finally the answer??

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
MSL, did you or DH ever use Hansen waxed boots?

We did for several years, and I believe that we own one of the few remaining Hansen waxing machines, maybe the only one.

I will definitely be anxious to learn as much as I can about the new Fischer boots. We may be in Mammoth next week (not to ski!) and I will check with Footloose to see if they have my size and if they have time to fit the boots.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great review...hope to post one myself shortly

Thanks for the post. I have heard that they are a soft flexing boot and that setting the forward lean can be a bit tricky for skiers used to an upright stiff boot.

We have two employees that love theirs. I have all around skinny feet and tiny ankles with wide calves, so I am very excited to get out of my old Fischer soma boots into these.

lisad3

Diva in Training
Hi MissySki - how do you like them skiing? I know with the warm weather in NE you might not enough time on them to judge compared to regular boots. Any feedback would be appreciated.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hi lisad3,

So far I have gotten to ski 4 days in the Fischers. Day 1 was a nightmare as you can read here if you care to :

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13214

The long and short of it was that my balance was completely thrown off, but heel lifts fixed me right up. They took a little getting used to for me, but after 4 days I can now say that I love them so far. I have no pain or hot spots, they are actually quite comfortable and keep my feet nice and warm. I have finally been able to not think about my boots for the whole ride down every trail, now I can concentrate more on technique than pain. (something I wanted so desperately last year!) As an unexpected bonus, they have mostly corrected my A-frame knock kneed alignment issue and I've never had such endurance in my quads which I think is attributed to the more upward stance of the boot that we used in the settings rather than the uber forward lean I used to have. (Though it is easier for me to get in the backseat a little more than before if I get lazy, but I'm working hard on nipping that bad habit in the bud! :loco:)

As an aside, a weird thing is that even with boot gloves on (good to keep the wet conditions out even though it's not cold enough for them mostly right now!) I have been stopped numerous times on the mountain by people asking if they are the Fischer vacuum boots and where I got them and how I like them, DH thinks it's quite funny, I'm surprised people actually notice that much of people's boots lol.

So that is my initial impressions so far, let me know if you have any specific questions you'd like me to address. I'll update when I'm able to get some longer days and more difficult terrain, whenever mother nature starts cooperating! :goodluck:

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, after buying a pair of 110 vacuums, remolding them, and skiing in them for two solid weeks while teaching all day, I am sadly finding that they are not a good fit for my skiing style.

They fit me amazingly well with no hot spots, and more importantly no loose spots (I have a very narrow foot).

The down side for me is that they are way too soft flexing, and coupled with the very forward lean (relative to my previous boot) I feel as though I am falling over when I really drive the boot on steeps. I find it interesting that Missy found them more upright! I actually remolded them with a heel lift under the boot to make them even more upright than the machine allows, and I still have my knee almost at the front tip of my binding when flexing, which is absurd.

I would strongly recommend the boot for a begginer to intermediate skier, and am reluctant to do so for a more aggressive steeps skier.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you go back to the shop to see if they'll do something to improve the fit?
I actually remolded them with a heel lift under the boot to make them even more upright than the machine allows, and I still have my knee almost at the front tip of my binding when flexing, which is absurd.
A fitter put heel lifts in my boots a few weeks ago and the result was that I got much less support from the tongue and my knee moved well in front of my toes. But I had much more up-and-down movement in the heel and my calf came up out of the cuff when my heel moved up, so the cuff was looser around the narrower part of my calf and couldn't prevent my knee from moving forward, if that makes sense.

I think to make a boot more upright, you'd want to put a shim somewhere between the tongue and your shin, rather than raising your heel. But what do I know? I'm just guessing.:noidea:

MissySki

Angel Diva
snoWYmonkey,

That is definitely a drastically different experience than mine as far as the forward lean goes. Not sure how our stats meet up as far as height and weight go and if this is a factor. I am 5'4 and 125 lbs. Or perhaps I am just much weaker than yourself, that's definitely a possibility! :noidea: I definitely do not have my knees over the end of my bindings though, my knees are right about at my toes.

I was in Lange Banshee W boots last year and they had a very very aggressive forward lean with a high flex I had to have softened. Compared to those, the Fischers are dramatically more upright for me. I also had to have heel lifts, but they helped get me more forward because the more upright stance had thrown my balance backwards without them..

I haven't been on a ton of steeps yet this year so far due to limited terrain, but what I have gotten on has felt good and I feel very secure in them so far.

mustski

Angel Diva
The down side for me is that they are way too soft flexing, and coupled with the very forward lean (relative to my previous boot) I feel as though I am falling over when I really drive the boot on steeps. .

I am following this thread with great interest as I am considering the Fisher Vacuum Fit boots. I use a medium flex boot now - Technica Diablo - and I ski all groomed runs and off piste when the snow is in good condition. I like bumps but, at 52 yrs old, I don't ski long bump runs. (I'm saving my knees so I can join the 70 plus club!) I do love the steeps and I love speed! I usually have to crank my boots as they pack out during the day. I have never had a pair of "comfortable" ski boots; it's always an issue of "better than the last pair."

My question, snoWymonkey, is what flex are you used to in boots?

Thanks.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Missy,

Funny indeed. I am same height and maybe 7 pounds heavier. Relative to many colleagues I am not that strong, not am I the speedy racer type. I do however feel very confident leaning pretty much 100% of my body weight against the tongue of the boot, and that may be my "problem".

As for the heel lifts, I tend to do the opposite and lower the heel and raise the toe.

I am thrilled to hear that you like them. I really think it is a great product. And truth be told, boots are continuously getting softer in the flex it seems. So it may also be part of trend that I am bucking.

I will miss the insanely snug with no pain fit!

I hope you have a great season and that the snow falls light and fluffy and abundant wherever you are!

lisad3

Diva in Training
Hi Missy Ski,

Thanks for the update. Like you I bought a pair of Salomon's off the shelf at the Boston Ski show and never had an isssue. 7 years later I had to upgrade as I was skiing more and required a stiffer boot. Since then (on Technica's now) I've had to have adjustments made every year. I've had so much shaving and padding done that my right liner looks like it will fall apart if one more adjustment is made.

I think everyone is like me and has read/heard about the vacuums and want to know more. Glad to hear you aren't thinking about your feet while skiing. Now all we need is snow! If you ever see a crazed lady screaming and chasing you down the trail, don't worry, it's me or someone who wants those boots!

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the info! I'm also following this thread with interest (also have skinny feet and tiny ankles with wide calves, but am only an intermediate skier, so hope the flex won't be an issue)...well-fitting boots would be heaven!

As an unexpected bonus, they have mostly corrected my A-frame knock kneed alignment issue
...that's another issue it would be great to fix!

...the more info the better...

what price range are these boots? (fitted, of course!)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
MSL, did you or DH ever use Hansen waxed boots?

We did for several years, and I believe that we own one of the few remaining Hansen waxing machines, maybe the only one.

Ha! Just saw this.
Sure did - mid-70's. Mine weren't bad, DH hated his. Wax totally degenerated after 3 years. :laugh: Can't believe you have a machine! :clap:

apski

Certified Ski Diva
[QUOTEwhat price range are these boots? (fitted, of course!)[/QUOTE]

Sticker price on my box was $750. Fitter spent about 3 hours with me, though, starting with all the other models I tried. Just couldn't find anything in which my heel wasn't swimming around. We were down to either having him perform major bootfitter's surgery on a pair of Salomons (killing my instep just sitting on the bench!) or going for the Fischers.

Part of why he spent so much time was due to the fact that he had to re-mold mine after the upper buckle straps came out wrinkled, but it still was a ton of time for him and he knocked a bit off the sticker price.

Heading out west in about 4 weeks (hopefully after some mammoth snow fall totals for January) to try them out for the first time.:snow:

Will post again to give the Level 6-7-ish skier's perspective on these boots when I get back.

MissySki

Angel Diva
apski, I'd say I'm about your level as well, so I look forward to seeing what you think of your boots to compare with my experience!! Hope you love them! :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna